How many of you are Christians?

Are you a Christian?

• Total voters
Incorrect.

I've read the Dhammapada, which is one of the most widely revered Buddhist scriptures.

The Dhammapada is chock full of references to gods, spirits, Devas, descriptions of Hell.

The foundations of Buddhism rests on Hindu cosmology. The most widespread forms of Asian Buddhism consider Devas, dieties, spirits an absolute reality and a part of life. It's just that they consider enlightenment and nirvana a higher form of spirituality.

"if we look at the Dhammapada, Buddha repeatedly makes reference to the gods. Dhammapada 45, translated by Anandajoti Bhikkhu, states: “The trainee knows this earth and the lower realm, together with the gods. The trainee will reflect on the well-taught verse of Dhamma as a good man reflects on a flower.” This shows that Buddha did not intend to completely uproot the Hindu belief system, just as Jesus did not come to dismantle Jewish law."
https://bahaiteachings.org/one-god-no-god-many-gods/

The Dhammapada is chock full of references to Hell and to the gods Mara, Indra, Gandharva, Yama, Brahman.

126. Some people are born again; evil-doers go to hell; righteous people go to heaven; those who are free from all worldly desires attain Nirvana.

30. By earnestness did Maghavan (Indra) rise to the lordship of the gods. People praise earnestness; thoughtlessness is always blamed

8. He who lives without looking for pleasures, his senses well controlled, moderate in his food, faithful and strong, him Mara will certainly not overthrow, any more than the wind throws down a rocky mountain.

105. One's own self conquered is better than all other people; not even a god, a Gandharva, not Mara with Brahman could change into defeat the victory of a man who has vanquished himself, and always lives under restraint.

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/2017/2017-h/2017-h.htm

"if we look at the Dhammapada, Buddha repeatedly makes reference to the gods.
You still can't find any gods in the Dhammapada? I didn't think you'd be able. I just wanted to confirm after you had had plenty of time to run through the entire Dhammapada.

"if we look at the Dhammapada, Buddha repeatedly makes reference to the gods. Dhammapada 45, translated by Anandajoti Bhikkhu, states: “The trainee knows this earth and the lower realm, together with the gods. The trainee will reflect on the well-taught verse of Dhamma as a good man reflects on a flower.” This shows that Buddha did not intend to completely uproot the Hindu belief system, just as Jesus did not come to dismantle Jewish law."
https://bahaiteachings.org/one-god-no-god-many-gods/

The Dhammapada is chock full of references to Hell and to the gods Mara, Indra, Gandharva, Yama, Brahman.

All of which, while documented, is mostly a matter of opinion like the Bible, Torah or Quran.

Wisdom is a tool. Like you previously mentioned, some people twist that tool into a weapon. That makes the person/people doing the twisting wrong, not the tool.

All of which, while documented, is mostly a matter of opinion like the Bible, Torah or Quran.

Wisdom is a tool. Like you previously mentioned, some people twist that tool into a weapon. That makes the person/people doing the twisting wrong, not the tool.
After having message board Buddhists lecture me for two decades that Buddhism doesn't believe in gods, it was striking to me how frequently the sayings of The Buddha invoked gods, devas, and hell in the Dhammapada.

The moral framework, the Dao, the dharma, as articulated in the New Testament, the Analects, the Dhammapada respectively all kind of land on the same general target, but I was interested to see the shades of differences

The Buddhist genocide off the Muslims in Myanmar should dispel us of any notions that there are any world religions immune to the prospect of being weaponized.

You still can't find any gods in the Dhammapada???

The Dhammapada is peppered with references to Hell and to the gods Mara, Indra, Gandharva, Yama, Brahman.

126. Some people are born again; evil-doers go to hell; righteous people go to heaven; those who are free from all worldly desires attain Nirvana.

30. By earnestness did Maghavan (Indra) rise to the lordship of the gods. People praise earnestness; thoughtlessness is always blamed

8. He who lives without looking for pleasures, his senses well controlled, moderate in his food, faithful and strong, him Mara will certainly not overthrow, any more than the wind throws down a rocky mountain.

105. One's own self conquered is better than all other people; not even a god, a Gandharva, not Mara with Brahman could change into defeat the victory of a man who has vanquished himself, and always lives under restraint.

44. Who shall overcome this earth, and the world of Yama (the lord of the departed), and the world of the gods? Who shall find out the plainly shown path of virtue, as a clever man finds out the (right) flower

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/2017/2017-h/2017-h.htm

After having message board Buddhists lecture me for two decades that Buddhism doesn't believe in gods, it was striking to me how frequently the sayings of The Buddha invoked gods, devas, and hell in the Dhammapada.

The moral framework, the Dao, the dharma, as articulated in the New Testament, the Analects, the Dhammapada respectively all kind of land on the same general target, but I was interested to see the shades of differences

The Buddhist genocide off the Muslims in Myanmar should dispel us of any notions that there are any world religions immune to the prospect of being weaponized.

What version of Buddhism were most of them adherents? Tibetan? Therevada? Zen?

Agreed about how it's people who misuse tools, not the tools themselves being dangerous

What version of Buddhism were most of them adherents? Tibetan? Therevada? Zen?

Agreed about how it's people who misuse tools, not the tools themselves being dangerous
It's just funny that anyone who calls themselves a Buddhist would disavow the words and sayings of The Buddha. LoL

My suspicion is that in North America, there has always been a watered-down version of Asian Buddhism being marketed here to urban metrosexuals, Hollywood stars, Gen X hipsters who are looking for a religion that seems rational and quasi-agnostic.

It's just funny that anyone who calls themselves a Buddhist would disavow the words and sayings of The Buddha. LoL

My suspicion is that in North America, there has always been a watered-down version of Asian Buddhism being marketed here to urban metrosexuals, Hollywood stars, Gen X hipsters who are looking for a religion that seems rational and quasi-agnostic.

Most self-avowed Christians on JPP disavow the words and sayings of Jesus. Mostly by their actios, not necessarily a direct statement against the principles of Jesus....except for following Pedo Don.

Most self-avowed Christians on JPP disavow the words and sayings of Jesus. Mostly by their actios, not necessarily a direct statement against the principles of Jesus....except for following Pedo Don.

They really aren't entitled to the mantle "Christian" then, eh? ; )

I put myself down as maybe because I do follow Jesus' teachings. The Golden Rule and such.

It is funny that those Christians who profess to believe in the divinity of Jesus and his teachings rarely ever follow his teachings.

This is how they get you. Christians don't hold a monopoly on "good."

This is how they get you. Christians don't hold a monopoly on "good."

Not sure about "get you" but agreed that Christians don't hold a monopoly on "good". The lip-service Christians in the US seem to hold a majority on "evil".

Most self-avowed Christians on JPP disavow the words and sayings of Jesus.
Terry, I see that you continue to believe that your persistent vegetative state somehow grants you the superpower to speak for countless, unnamed others.

I have bad news, Terry. Virtue-signalling is not a superpower. It's a stupidity, as in something that people with only a brain stem would do.

Back