I am starting to wonder about Wright's motivations

You don't speak for everyone who attends church. People attend church for a wide variety of reasons, and their relationship w/ their pastor, or lack thereof, is an individual thing.
Excuses, excuses. This was a man that Obama knew well enough to request him to speak for him. That inspired titles for his books, that brought him to Jesus, that baptized his kids, that personally spoke with him, according to the TIME interview, about how to "distance" himself from him once he secured the nomination. This was somebody that Obama knew.

Your, "I don't know my pastor" crap is an excuse and a desperate grab at anything to allow you to continue to believe that this guy is perfect.

And my answer was personal, because somebody asked "How well do YOU know your pastor"...

How many of you attend or have attended a church that has over 5000 members? Lots of people attend church for the fellowship. They attend sunday schools that are not taught by the minister, they go to teach children about their faith, they go to get the hell out of the house for a while. My ex-father in law attended the same church in Farmington NM for 22 years. In the 10 year that I was married to his daughter and saw him in church, probably every easter for 10 years, every christmas eve, and maybe a dozen other times, he fell asleep. Pretty good estimation that EVERY time he went to church he fell asleep. So why the hell did he go. He couldn't tell you what the sermon was about most weeks, and I know this because my mother in law used to rib him about it. Lots of people go to church and pay little or no attention to the pastor, and remember little or nothing about the sermon. Church in America has become a social statement for a large group of attendees. Every person that has ever run for office is told the same thing, join a local church, a big one if you can. My bet is if you polled people at 5 pm on sunday about the sermon their minister gave at 9 am that same day, the majority would fail.

How many of you attend or have attended a church that has over 5000 members? Lots of people attend church for the fellowship. They attend sunday schools that are not taught by the minister, they go to teach children about their faith, they go to get the hell out of the house for a while. My ex-father in law attended the same church in Farmington NM for 22 years. In the 10 year that I was married to his daughter and saw him in church, probably every easter for 10 years, every christmas eve, and maybe a dozen other times, he fell asleep. Pretty good estimation that EVERY time he went to church he fell asleep. So why the hell did he go. He couldn't tell you what the sermon was about most weeks, and I know this because my mother in law used to rib him about it. Lots of people go to church and pay little or no attention to the pastor, and remember little or nothing about the sermon. Church in America has become a social statement for a large group of attendees. Every person that has ever run for office is told the same thing, join a local church, a big one if you can. My bet is if you polled people at 5 pm on sunday about the sermon their minister gave at 9 am that same day, the majority would fail.
That was the pastor that I was speaking of. There are still over 5000 members at the church that I grew up in.

As I said,

If you don't want my answer, don't ask the question. It is annoying to be shouted down because I was able to tell you how well I know a pastor I don't even go to church with any longer, when it was directly answering the question: "How well do you know your pastor?"

how well do you know your pastor?

Obama was gracious enough not to demonize this guy out of respect. Look what it got him?
This is one of the reasons I hate organized religion.

The people at the top always seem to get caught up in the power it gives them.

i don't have a pastor desh, i do not belong to a church now....but i did have one at the non denominational church that matt and i were married in and he was a mentor and friend, he visited matt's mom's house on many occasions.

but when i was catholic, i am with darla! i did not know my priest at all....in fact, i don't think i even understood most of the ones they transfered in there, most had heavy spanish accents over the years of having many different priests.....catholic churches are much different than protestant churches.... protestant church parishioners vet their pastors and select them, they have a much closer pastor/member relationship.... kinda nice imo, less cold.

but this does not matter to me.... i do not think obama's relationship with rev wright and this church, is bothersome.... we all have things we have liked and disliked about our own churches imo....and it is not as easily said than done to just pick up and leave....one is invested in their church, the church being the people within it, not necessarily the pastor.

i'd much rather get back to debating issues and ideas.....

i just hate politics :(

care

I dont think most people really know their pastors. You see them at their Job. Do the people where you work KNOW the real you?

I dont think most people really know their pastors. You see them at their Job. Do the people where you work KNOW the real you?
Absolutely! We hang out after work together, although not as much as we used to. We have gone on office camping trips on memorial and labor days, we have great christmas parties and birthday parties and always do cool shit on secretaries day and bosses day. It is a lot of fun around here and we are all pretty laid back.

It's not like he was saying something he hasn't said at church, Desh. Do these people know whether he goes home and uses latex suits? No. Do they know he thinks that telling people "over there in White America, the US of KKK A" is "worthless"...

20clintonwright1.533.jpg

In spite of the nonsense surrounding Rev. Wright, I am starting to wonder about his motivations for embarking on his tour at this critical moment in the campaign.

Wright is very intelligent and he absolutely has to know he has become a distraction that could possibly damage Obama.

He absolutely has to know that suggesting Obama is giving a "wink and a nod" to his comments would suggest that Obama is not genuine.

Much of what Wright has to say is based in truth, but he's smart enough to know the implications and impact.

I wonder ...

I think the simplest explanation is usually the correct one. Like bush lying us into war, for oil.

I think Wright is pissed off. I think he feels personally insulted by the orchestrated media attacks on him, and the misleading youtube sound bite clips.

And what does any normal man with balls do? He kicks his tormentors in the teeth.

Its difficult to admit that Wright is just a buffoon.....
Why look for some ulterior motive or explanation....the man isn't what you thought from the start...hes a moron, a con man, a buffoon....
his claims border on insanity....plain and simple....

I await the assholes that defended him to apologize to those of us that told you that he was a clown from the beginning....Jarod...?.....uscitizen?......onceler? desh? CYPRESS (of course).....? watermark?.....

Even Obama can't defend this asshole preacher.....

depends , if you go to a mega church no, if you go to a small church you had better know your pastor or something is very wrong.

Just another case of where bigger is not better.

Its difficult to admit that Wright is just a buffoon.....
Why look for some ulterior motive or explanation....the man isn't what you thought from the start...hes a moron, a con man, a buffoon....
his claims border on insanity....plain and simple....

I await the assholes that defended him to apologize to those of us that told you that he was a clown from the beginning....Jarod...?.....uscitizen?......onceler? desh? CYPRESS (of course).....? watermark?.....

Even Obama can't defend this asshole preacher.....

Demanding apologies? LOL. That's hilarious, coming from a bush loving hack who supported and cheerled the unneccessary slaughter of 4000 americans, and hundreds of thousands of iraqis.

Wright is a preacher. Preachers are trained manipulators.

I wouldn't know. I don't go to church.

As for Wright thinking the government had something to do with HIV, who gives a crap? People believe in all kinds of shit they read somewhere. Half the republicans I talked to on message boards thought Hillary had something to do with vince foster's death. And most preachers in the country believe a talking snake lived in the garden of eden.

Demanding apologies? LOL. That's hilarious, coming from a bush loving hack who supported and cheerled the unneccessary slaughter of 4000 americans, and hundreds of thousands of iraqis.

What a clown...you think changing the topic or ignoring the subject matter somehow brings you out on top .....?
Whats hilarious is seeing what a loser you are....
Sadly you can't see it too....its so obvious to the rest of us....:321:

Imagine how he'll be seen in the light of civil rights historical context if he is responsible for costing Obama the primary.

What a clown...you think changing the topic or ignoring the subject matter somehow brings you out on top .....?
Whats hilarious is seeing what a loser you are....
Sadly you can't see it too....its so obvious to the rest of us....:321:

Who is "us" ???

I agree with Cypress.

Back