I LOVE SOLAR

Chapdog

Abreast of the situations
My favorite alternative energy. I think this has the potential to completely replace electricity created by fossil fuels.

Looks as 2 things are possible to replace the fossil fuel power grids:

1) individual self sufficient structures like putting solar on your homes.

or

2) Solar fields that tie back to the electric companies who provide you solar power via the traditional service electric lines.

Right now with the price of oil we are about 20% away from it being a break even cost with solar. Little more oil price.. or a little more economies of scale or technology improvements and you will see the solar sector completely take over.

Not in some areas of the country. The pacific NW in fall thru spring for example.
But lots of tech job openings troubleshooting solar electric setups in homes.
solar is something that should pay a major part in our oil addiction weaning process.

could extensive solar panels contribute to climate change ?

Some small municipal functions here are now solar powered (e.g. flashing lights at some stop signs outside the city). Wind power is gaining ground here as well, despite the horrendous costs of one of those turbine windmills. We certainly have plenty of wind; ought to use it for something!

not even in your kids lifetime chap, BUt I also love solar and hybrid batteries as investments.
Got to keep your reality cap on, it may be 10yrs before alternatives make up 10% of our energy use. One things for sure, the trend is up.

i dont know about that top. i could power my house tomorrow with ESLR solar panels on my roof for 10K.

They have recently developed a battery that is a flat plyable sheet as large as you want.

It time to offer a good tax break for retrofitting your house with wind and solar generators.

They can pick certain products that meet standards and if you retrofit with these items you can pay your toward taxes with excess energy credits or some crap. Making it so you pick the best possible saving system.

Energy companies would fight it probably but there are so many ways to really tackle this problem that can silve it quicky and get the technology pushing ahead.

They have recently developed a battery that is a flat plyable sheet as large as you want.

It time to offer a good tax break for retrofitting your house with wind and solar generators.

They can pick certain products that meet standards and if you retrofit with these items you can pay your toward taxes with excess energy credits or some crap. Making it so you pick the best possible saving system.

Energy companies would fight it probably but there are so many ways to really tackle this problem that can silve it quicky and get the technology pushing ahead.
Give me that incentive and I'll do it tomorrow. As it stands I'm waiting for the liquid funds before I make the play.

They only way to really get it moving is to screw the current energy Cos, Im thinking now they are so hated the will may be with the people to push it through.

not even in your kids lifetime chap, BUt I also love solar and hybrid batteries as investments.
Got to keep your reality cap on, it may be 10yrs before alternatives make up 10% of our energy use. One things for sure, the trend is up.

I seriously doubt that. Solar is not that far off. With government rebates, breakeven for most commercial properties is down to 1 year.

Residential breakeven is still about 15 years in most areas. So this part still needs to come down. But it will happen in our lifetime.... my guess is that within 15-20 years over half our electric demand will be from solar alone.

I'm the voice of reason
look at the % of use it is now, even aggresive estimates are no where near what you guys say.
I doubt you could get the system installed for 10k even with the tax credit. If you can great, I own the stock. Nobody is even doing installations in covington, and it's hot and sunny way more down here than in liberalchussets.

usged, I've read more on alt energy than you've all the reading you've done in your life.
Raise your hand if you have solar installed, my guess of the highly educated posters is zero.

I'm the voice of reason
look at the % of use it is now, even aggresive estimates are no where near what you guys say.
I doubt you could get the system installed for 10k even with the tax credit. If you can great, I own the stock. Nobody is even doing installations in covington, and it's hot and sunny way more down here than in liberalchussets.

Between the federal tax credits and the rebate program, the cost of a $15,000 solar project can be reduced by $5,000 to $10,000, said Warren Leon, director of the Renewable Energy Trust, which provides financial assistance to clean energy projects as part of the Massachusetts Technology Collaborative.

Two factors in particular can increase the rebate, said Leon: if the buyer is of moderate income - the biggest rebate goes to households with incomes of less than $76,296 - and if the equipment's manufacturer is based in Massachusetts.

The Commonwealth Solar program is part of a concerted effort by Governor Deval Patrick to make the state a national leader in clean energies, Leon said. The administration negotiated hard with Marlborough-based Evergreen Solar, a manufacturer of solar-power products, to expand its facilities into the former Fort Devens property, a deal that was announced last month.
http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2008/05/22/rebate_heats_up_interest/

usged, I've read more on alt energy than you've all the reading you've done in your life.
Raise your hand if you have solar installed, my guess of the highly educated posters is zero.

I have solar in 2 of my outbuildings. Small systems for lighting.

How many do you have ?

but true I am not highly educated, I just use my intelligence more than you do.

chap you make way more than 76,000.
US you beat me to the punch on the educated posters.
How much did your panels cost and how much utilty bill are they saving you each month. Hopefully you went witht the Ovonic panels, my guess is you have the hard panels.

Only 7.5 percent of total U.S. energy consumption came from renewable sources in 1998. Of that total, 94 percent was from hydropower and biomass (trash and wood incinerators). (U.S. Energy Information Administration)

ie less than 1% from solar so far.

Back