Is gun control constitutional? Is it racist? Is it even possible?

how is that possible when the Constitution specifically forbids the states from maintaining their own troops without the consent of congress??????

It doesn't. Go read Article I, $8, Article I, $10, the 2nd Amendment, and the 10th Amendment again. States have the inherent right to organize a militia. Those troops must remain in the State. They are there to defend that State.

Yes, it is. So says SCOTUS in the Heller decision. Why is this even a topic? There is only one correct answer.

the correct answer is it's absolute. the courts cannot change the constitution. the government is not the final arbiter of the constitution. the government was never given power to redefine the limits of their power.

It doesn't. Go read Article I, $8, Article I, $10, the 2nd Amendment, and the 10th Amendment again. States have the inherent right to organize a militia. Those troops must remain in the State. They are there to defend that State.

we are going to have to agree to disagree.

US Constitution, Article 1, Section 10, clause 3

"No State shall, without the Consent of Congress, lay any Duty of Tonnage, keep Troops, or Ships of War in time of Peace, enter into any Agreement or Compact with another State, or with a foreign Power, or engage in War, unless actually invaded, or in such imminent Danger as will not admit of delay."

that's not what it says.

" the freedom of the people to keep and bare arms shall not be infringed."

Not what it says:

2nd amendment said:
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is clearly talking about two related rights of self defense.
1) The inherent right of State to defend itself.
2) The inherent right of an individual to defend himself.

You cannot use the 2nd amendment to discard the 2nd amendment.

Last edited:
the Illinois right to bear arms is not relevant to the 2nd Amendment. Can you explain how the Bill of Rights has 9 Amendments that specifically refers to the rights of the people, yet somehow the 2nd applies to ONLY your 'well regulated' or government controlled militia????? Because I can cite numerous ratification era comments/quotes that we the people clearly understood that the right to bear arms belongs to all individuals

You can also cite quite a few State constitutions. He even quoted the Illinois Constitution to try to cancel the 2nd amendment.

Ok. I agree to disagree. The unorganized militia has already proven itself worthless to the security of any of our free States.
Are you actually trying to argue that the people of a State are worthless to the security of that State???
The 2nd amendment does not discuss the 'unorganized militia'. There is no such phrase in the 2nd amendment.
That is why This matters: The defense and protection of the state and of the United States is an obligation of all persons within the state. The legislature shall provide for the discharge of this obligation and for the maintenance and regulation of an organized militia.
You cannot use one portion of a constitution to cancel another.

yes, it is clear. YOU, however, are misinterpreting it.

No. He is altering it. He is attempting to add various words and phrases to the 2nd amendment in order to justify cancelling the 2nd amendment. This is not misinterpreting it. It is denying it, and with it, the rest of the Constitution of the United States. It is also denying the Constitution of the State of Illinois.

Are you actually trying to argue that the people of a State are worthless to the security of that State???
The 2nd amendment does not discuss the 'unorganized militia'. There is no such phrase in the 2nd amendment.

You cannot use one portion of a constitution to cancel another.
Isn't right-wing fantasy wonderful. There is no appeal to ignorance of the law.

US Constitution, Article 1, Section 10, clause 3

"No State shall, without the Consent of Congress, lay any Duty of Tonnage, keep Troops, or Ships of War in time of Peace, enter into any Agreement or Compact with another State, or with a foreign Power, or engage in War, unless actually invaded, or in such imminent Danger as will not admit of delay."

sorry, but NO!. As a former resident of Illinois myself, your viewpoint and understanding of the Illinois Constitution is either misguided or purposefully misinterpreted.

Read that section again, along with section 8, the 2nd amendment, and the 10th amendment.

Subject only to the police power, the right of the individual citizen to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. (Illinois State Constitution)

Define 'police power'. The Illinois State Constitution doesn't.
Apparently you don't know what 'individual citizen' means. Apparently you don't know what 'people' means either.

The State if Illinois, like every State in the Union, is subject to the 2nd amendment. That amendment applies to both federal and State governments.

You cannot use the 2nd amendment to cancel the 2nd amendment, nor Article I, $22 of the Illinois State constitution to cancel the 2nd amendment.

Back