Is it moral to avoid taxes?

Is it immoral to avoid paying taxes?

• I don't pay taxes because I live in Mom's basement and use food stamps.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only losers follow the illegal tax laws, the 16th Amendment was never Ratified!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Interesting history lessons. But nothing in those paragraphs appears to show God approves of lying.

It makes your claims of being in pursuit of "The Truth" more amusing.

From your own link:

"The coming of the lawless one by the activity of Satan will be with all power and with pretended signs and wonders, and with all wicked deception for those who are to perish, because they refused to love the truth and so be saved" (2 Thessalonians 2:8-10).

"Evil men and impostors will go from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived" (2 Tim 3:13).

None of that looks like permission to lie in order to save a few dollars.

From the same link:
The best example of psychological warfare from the Bible is seen in the experience of Gideon (Judges ch. 6-7). During this time, roughly around 1190 B.C., a large armed force of Midianites, Amalekites, and other foreign soldiers invaded Israel; so numerous were their forces that Judges 6:5 refers to them as “swarms of locusts.” While the Israelite army, led by Gideon, had initially had contained 32,000 men, the Lord saw fit to have Joshua dismiss all but three hundred of them, so as to clearly show how He would be the one to whom victory belonged, not to Israel. Needless to say, the odds of Gideon winning such a battle seemed rather slim. .

"So Gideon sent the rest of the Israelites to their tents but kept the three hundred, who took over the provisions and trumpets of the others." 1 "...'Watch me,' he told them. 'Follow my lead. When I get to the edge of the camp, do exactly as I do. When I and all who are with me blow our trumpets, then from all around the camp blow yours and shout, 'For the LORD and for Gideon.'' 1

At Gideon's word, they each broke their pot to reveal the torch and sounded on the horn. The Midianites woke up to the frightening sound and saw they were surrounded by lights in the darkness. Then "the LORD caused the men throughout the camp to turn on each other with their swords." 1 In the end, the great psychological battle stood as a total victory for the Israelites and a symbol of God's miraculous power. The idea was replicated when "less than 50 miles from the spot of Gideon's triumph--and 3,000 years later--another night attack took place. In 1918, during the First World War, a British brigade mounted a successful night raid on Turkish lines and, interestingly, also used deceptive noise and light."6

From the same link:

Yes, I read that. If you think that is the equivilent of lying on your taxes, you are delusional.

That shows nothing but the fact that Gideon used a ploy to make the enemy think there were more soldiers. Gideon did not lie, pre se. He allowed the enemy to draw inaccurate conclusions.

What you do on your taxes is an outright lie.

A lie is a form of deception:

You really need to learn the English language more better.

I am quite aware of the definition. A lie is indeed a form of deception. But when did I mention deception? Are you claiming that all deceptions are lies?

Gideon did not lie. The enemy drew their own conclusions.

You sign your name on the tax form saying that it is truthful to the best of your knowledge. You are lying in order to keep a bit more of your money. Its funny that you claim morality is a clear cut issue for everyone else, but you get to play in shades of grey that you have rationalized exist.

I am quite aware of the definition. A lie is indeed a form of deception. But when did I mention deception? Are you claiming that all deceptions are lies?

Gideon did not lie. The enemy drew their own conclusions.

You sign your name on the tax form saying that it is truthful to the best of your knowledge. You are lying in order to keep a bit more of your money. Its funny that you claim morality is a clear cut issue for everyone else, but you get to play in shades of grey that you have rationalized exist.
There may be a difference in morality and patriotic duty. Is it your duty to do everything in your power to curb the federal government if it has overstepped its boundaries? Is it moral to cave to a government that no longer keeps itself within its own legal boundaries?

There may be a difference in morality and patriotic duty. Is it your duty to do everything in your power to curb the federal government if it has overstepped its boundaries? Is it moral to cave to a government that no longer keeps itself within its own legal boundaries?

I think it is our patriotic duty to try and curb the gov't's power and return it to a constitutional gov't. But I do not think compromising my own moral integrity is necessary to do so. (or at least I hope not)

But at least part of it boils down to whether or not I am willing to compromise my moral standards for one area and not for another, equally important area.

Were the Founder's acting morally when committed treason against the King of England?

If you claim that avoiding paying taxes justifies compromising your moral integrity, then the fact that you pay more to the gov't than you save by lying, would make you neither moral nor a patriot.

Oh my, SM getting upset because someone doesn't answer his question promptly? lol Hypocrisy at its best. lol

Apparently, SM, you are trying to say that morality is flexible. That there are times when it is acceptable to be immoral for the greater good.

But allowing a portion (according to Kinsey as much as 10%) to legally marry their partner would provide all the positive aspects of marriage to a large number of people. It would also provide the protections afford married couples to the same large number of people. And yet you would deny them that because they ignore your morality.

Hmmmmm

Back