Is the time of Liberty at hand?

When the zoning is reasonable, yes, since owner B has the freedom to sell his property at a profit then buy where the zoning allows him to do what he wants to do.

I think if the libertarians focused on fiscal issues and let the republicans and democrats fight over social issues, they could win. Especially since we have such a great recent history of both parties screwing us royally.

Not to mention that most people are not extreme in social issues. Most don't think abortion should be used as a birth control method, nor do they think public schools should teach ID in science classes.

Libertarians certainly would say that while most issues should be dealt with at the lowest level possible, the Constitution IS the Supreme Law of the Land. No establishment of religion; Protect life, liberty, and property-and recognize that they can't always balance perfectly, so limits by legislation are sometimes required. Commonsense with a huge dose of self-restraint required.

That's meaningless, IMO. I hold many libertarian beliefs myself. But I've also seen libertarianism work at the local level with disastrous results.

I've never seen you espouse any libertarian view. The Government is supposed to protect your nostrils from smokers in my restaurant even if I want to cater to a less smugly nasty crowd as non-smokers tend to be. If I want to have a bar that caters to smokers I can't because you may want to attend my bar some day for some nonsensical reason, even though I don't want you there. (These are examples, not real. If I had a bar I'd love for you to come, even if you were a smugly nasty non-smoker).

There is absolutely nothing libertarian about that view.

The problem with libertarians is that they are only half right. You can't have fiscal conservatism without social conservatism.

My view is that social conservative means big government police state.

Build more prisons, and run non victimizing tax payers through the legal system, all the while trading liberty for security.

It's hard for one to be fiscally conservative when one supports a big huge government police state.

Just the view of a Libertarian.

Build more prisons, and run non victimizing tax payers through the legal system, all the while trading liberty for security.

It's hard for one to be fiscally conservative when one supports a big huge government police state.

All of the above and lots of religious beliefs made a matter of law, including schools. The far right scares Christians, not just other religious and atheists.

Have you ever known a town that had a Libertarian majority board? There was one in New York, southwest of Syracuse. No zoning. The value of a nice old farmhouse destroyed due to the proximity of a house trailer on one side and a gas station on the other. It's government's responsibility to protect the property values, as well as public health.
where is the constitutional responsibility adjudicated for government to protect property values?

I've never seen you espouse any libertarian view. The Government is supposed to protect your nostrils from smokers in my restaurant even if I want to cater to a less smugly nasty crowd as non-smokers tend to be. If I want to have a bar that caters to smokers I can't because you may want to attend my bar some day for some nonsensical reason, even though I don't want you there. (These are examples, not real. If I had a bar I'd love for you to come, even if you were a smugly nasty non-smoker).

There is absolutely nothing libertarian about that view.
Fiscally conservative and fiscally libertarian are essentially the same thing.

That is an incorrect view of social conservatism. I started a thread on that a while back but folks here are content to distort social conservatism because they've bought into the media template that tells them that its "not cool".

That is an incorrect view of social conservatism. I started a thread on that a while back but folks here are content to distort social conservatism because they've bought into the media template that tells them that its "not cool".

The last thing my opposition to social conservatism is about is "cool". It is about individual liberty, equality and individual rights.

No, because again, its a local issue and no one is putting a gun to your head requiring you to live in municipality "X".

No one is forcing people to invest in the stock market, but you would scream bloody murder if the federal, state or local gov't protected the value of stocks someone bought.

The most basic libertarian principles are those of individual liberty and individual responsibility.

I think most of us understand the need for a safety net, but only as an absolute last resort.

Back