John 6

I believe what Jesus said. He said THE flesh and you think that means HIS flesh. I can't help you

he literally says that when he says flesh it means his spirit, not flesh.......you are choosing the same interpretation he criticized his disciples for choosing......

I don't see many actual religion threads on this board so I thought I'd start one.

A major difference between some Christian denominations is the teaching of Jesus regarding his body and blood. Most protestant denominations believe that in the book of John chapter 6 Jesus is speaking figuratively while Catholics and other orthodox denominations believe Jesus is speaking literally. What do you think?

Even if you don't believe he is being literal, you can't get around the whole "if you no not... you will not have life within you." In other words, the celebration of the Eucharist is absolutely necessary for salvation. Is that a work, an act of faith, or a combination of the two?

he literally says that when he says flesh it means his spirit, not flesh.......you are choosing the same interpretation he criticized his disciples for choosing......

I interpret it that when the food is blessed it literally becomes his body and blood.
But being conceived by The Holy Spirit, Jesus flesh literally is Spirit! And had he not been murdered would still be alive today.

Also

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4 In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. 5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome[a] it.

1st Chapter of John is my favourite of the entire Bible.

I didn't even know this thread existed when I got into a discussion with Lord Fallacies on another thread about the authority of the Church.

Even if you don't believe he is being literal, you can't get around the whole "if you no not... you will not have life within you." In other words, the celebration of the Eucharist is absolutely necessary for salvation. Is that a work, an act of faith, or a combination of the two?

so, do you believe people swing back and forth between being saved and not being saved on a weekly basis, depending on whether they made it to church and had communion or not?......

I interpret it that when the food is blessed it literally becomes his body and blood.
But being conceived by The Holy Spirit, Jesus flesh literally is Spirit! And had he not been murdered would still be alive today.
and I understand it to say he is actually criticizing that interpretation.......

Back