John 6

I interpret it that when the food is blessed it literally becomes his body and blood.
But being conceived by The Holy Spirit, Jesus flesh literally is Spirit! And had he not been murdered would still be alive today.

God didn't need to go through all that trouble. If I was Jesus, I'd be like 'thanks Dad for letting them torture and kill me'. If Jesus existed (and outside of the Bible, there is basically no historical evidence that he did), then he was a mortal man.

It would appear so, based upon the stated commandment.

so if you were sick on Sunday and stay home, then die on Wednesday you end up in hell......gosh you Catholics are harsh......I'm glad I'm a protestant.....we know we're always sinners and Jesus forgives us anyway.....

God didn't need to go through all that trouble. If I was Jesus, I'd be like 'thanks Dad for letting them torture and kill me'. If Jesus existed (and outside of the Bible, there is basically no historical evidence that he did), then he was a mortal man.

he was also the God you imagine him thanking......./shrugs......so he probably didn't need to mention it......

so if you were sick on Sunday and stay home, then die on Wednesday you end up in hell......gosh you Catholics are harsh......I'm glad I'm a protestant.....we know we're always sinners and Jesus forgives us anyway.....

If you believed in Christ, and then lost your faith, did you stop being saved, or were you never really saved to begin with? This always seems to be a conundrum for protestants. It's not at all problematic that you have to obey any of God's commandments, because it is as much a matter of faith as proclaiming that you accept Christ as your lord and saviour, which is generally the only standard that protestants have. No need to actually do anything that you are commanded to do, because, that would constitute a work, and we know that works are separate from faith, and insufficient for salvation.

Also, the Eucharist is celebrated every day in the Church, and not just on Sundays. Based upon your dishonest standard, a person would be lost on a daily basis, rather than a weekly basis. It's too bad the Gospels are so inconvenient.

If you believed in Christ, and then lost your faith, did you stop being saved, or were you never really saved to begin with? This always seems to be a conundrum for protestants.

it is?.......I thought we just called it falling from grace........at least we believe it requires a rejection of faith, rather than skipping church a week and not taking communion......

Based upon your dishonest standard, a person would be lost on a daily basis, rather than a weekly basis

what's dishonest about it......it is literally what you said happens........

it is?.......I thought we just called it falling from grace........at least we believe it requires a rejection of faith, rather than skipping church a week and not taking communion......

what's dishonest about it......it is literally what you said happens........

Not taking communion, because you disagree with the Gospel accounts, is a rejection of faith.

I don't see many actual religion threads on this board so I thought I'd start one.

A major difference between some Christian denominations is the teaching of Jesus regarding his body and blood. Most protestant denominations believe that in the book of John chapter 6 Jesus is speaking figuratively while Catholics and other orthodox denominations believe Jesus is speaking literally. What do you think?

I think almost all religious stuff is just waving hands and pretending. I guess I shouldn't participate but the whole Sky Daddy thing is plainly absurd. Why would a God that created the entire universe care at all if you believed in it? If I write a book, would I care if the characters believed in me?

I think almost all religious stuff is just waving hands and pretending. I guess I shouldn't participate but the whole Sky Daddy thing is plainly absurd. Why would a God that created the entire universe care at all if you believed in it? If I write a book, would I care if the characters believed in me?

Ever watched "The Neverending Story"? ;)

You claim to belong to a religion where you could be reborn as a bug depending on karma.

That doesn't seem less preposterous to me than an ultimate creative spirit in the universe.

You claim to belong to a religion where you could be reborn as a bug depending on karma.

That doesn't seem less preposterous to me than an ultimate creative spirit in the universe.

You have a fundamental misunderstanding of Theravada Buddhism which deals not at all with any 'afterlife' or magical moments of rebirth.

You have a fundamental misunderstanding of Theravada Buddhism which deals not at all with any 'afterlife' or magical moments of rebirth.
Samsara and the cycle of rebirth is fundamental to Buddhism, as is the pantheon of magical Buddhist dieties

We both know you used the Sky Daddy lexicon to be as intentionally demeaning to Christianity as possible. That opens your belief in the magical tenets of Buddhism open to scrutiny and skeptical inquiry.

Samsara and the cycle of rebirth is fundamental to Buddhism, as is the pantheon of magical Buddhist dieties

We both know you used the Sky Daddy lexicon to be as intentionally demeaning to Christianity as possible. That opens your belief in the magical tenets of Buddhism open to scrutiny and skeptical inquiry.

You again have mistaken my philosophy for one that it simply is not. There are very large differences between the Tibetan religion and the Theravada Buddhist. The first being that Theravada Buddhism literally only deals with your actions here, now, and does not try to fill in unknown details about an afterlife or a rebirth cycle. I clearly explained it to you before, but you consistently prove that factual information cannot penetrate your shield of what you want to believe. I'm good with that, you can believe what you want about me.

I use Sky Daddy because it took a long time for me to shed the last of that from my childhood. I'm rather glad I did though.

Not taking communion, because you disagree with the Gospel accounts, is a rejection of faith.

so you want to change you position?......its not just the failure to take communion on a daily basis that sends you to hell, its a rejection of faith.......now we are in full agreement.....see how easy that was?......

You again have mistaken my philosophy for one that it simply is not. There are very large differences between the Tibetan religion and the Theravada Buddhist. The first being that Theravada Buddhism literally only deals with your actions here, now, and does not try to fill in unknown details about an afterlife or a rebirth cycle. I clearly explained it to you before, but you consistently prove that factual information cannot penetrate your shield of what you want to believe. I'm good with that, you can believe what you want about me.

I use Sky Daddy because it took a long time for me to shed the last of that from my childhood. I'm rather glad I did though.

All religions, including yours, use magical thinking. Samsara is about as magical as it gets.

It is not the place of Buddhists to mock christians for magical thinking, or for Hindus to mock Muslims for superstition.

so you want to change you position?......its not just the failure to take communion on a daily basis that sends you to hell, its a rejection of faith.......now we are in full agreement.....see how easy that was?......

It's all inseparable, because, it is all a matter of faith. You can't claim to have faith, simply because you've given it the old protestant claim of "having accepted Christ" and then simply disregard the Gospel accounts. Do you believe that the scripture says what it says about the body and blood of Christ, or is it just something you'd prefer to ignore?

Back