Lib evades taxes, admits hybrid technology isn't what it's touted

DamnYankee

Loyal to the end
RALEIGH — North Carolina is joining a growing number of states exploring new fees for hybrid and electric car owners to help make up for revenue those drivers aren't paying in gas taxes on their fuel-efficient vehicles...

Ryan Turner, an IT professional in Chapel Hill, said he and many other drivers of alternative-fuel vehicles chose their cars because they're concerned about the environment and the country's dependence on oil. The Chevrolet Volt driver helped advocate for a statewide plug-in vehicle readiness plan.

"On its face, it's reasonable for electric owners to contribute toward road tax in some way," he said. "I think what's suspect is that, given all the issues we have in this state, given the state's woeful effort so far to promote electric vehicles as part of some statewide agenda, it is suspect that this vehicle tax is a priority given the small amount of the revenue it will bring in."

The policy looks especially arbitrary when more and more conventional cars are achieving fuel efficiency that's comparable to some hybrid cars, Turner added.
http://www.journalnow.com/news/state_region/article_233a9f1a-d16f-11e2-b1ba-0019bb30f31a.html

Look at what it includes: road taxes.

Indeed it does. But the fact remains, by not purchasing gasoline a person is not evading taxes.

Find another way to incorporate road taxes. But the claim that anyone is evading anything is simply bogus. People who drive vehicles that get excellent gas mileage are not evading taxes either, although they certainly pay far less than people who drive big SUVs.

Evade: transitive verb
1: to elude by dexterity or stratagem

m-w.com

The road tax is a tax added to the sale of gasoline. If they do not buy gasoline, they are not evading anything they are simply not paying a sales tax on something they do not purchase.

Would you suggest they send in checks for the amount of gasoline tax they WOULD have used?

His strategy allows him to use the roads by using less gasoline, hence evading road taxes.

I don't currently have a preference on how this guy pays his fair share, just that he does.

His strategy allows him to use the roads by using less gasoline, hence evading road taxes.

I don't currently have a preference on how this guy pays his fair share, just that he does.

So it is your duty to evade paying all of your income tax, but you demand this guy pay his road taxes?

Hypocrisy, thy name is DamnYankee.

Isn't it funny how the "always literal" righties lose that literalness when they're losing an argument?

Yes, DT, a gas tax funds road repairs.

If you had any brains at all, you could say tolls are a road tax, but then this guy pays them.

Isn't it funny how the "always literal" righties lose that literalness when they're losing an argument?

Yes, DT, a gas tax funds road repairs.

If you had any brains at all, you could say tolls are a road tax, but then this guy pays them.

Its also funny that, when DY juggles his books or avoids paying a tax by buying a different way, he calls it being smart. But when someone else does it, they are evading taxes.

No hypocrisy at all. I'm a conservative and therefore believe that GovCo is too big, so it's my duty to evade taxes. Liberals believe GovCo isn't big enough, but this guy is using a strategy to evade paying "his fair share".

Back