Louisiana will require the 10 Commandments displayed in every public school classroom

The Supreme Court ruled that this is unconstitutional. I don’t hate anything Christian little snowflake. Unlike you, however, I respect the Constitution. We are NOT a Christian nation. I could not care less personally but this is a wedge issue. Next comes Intelligent design in classrooms. It’s bad enough you morons are banning books and revising history. On this one YOU WILL LOSE. The question isn’t why we care. The question really should be ‘why do you’. If this was the pillars of Islam your position would change immediately. Mine would not.
The Supreme Court has no authority to change the Constitution.
They cannot force Louisiana to remove the Ten Commandments from anywhere.

Say what???? You don’t think the Constitution applies to the States???? ROTFLMFAO!!! Just wow. That is a new level of ignorance. I accidentally hit the show content button and it validated my decision. Unbelievable.
Compositional error fallacy. I am not talking about the entire Constitution, Commie. I'm talking about the 1st amendment, which does not apply to the States.

The Founders took an even stricter view of the establishment clause. Madison, who wrote the 1st amendment and some other founders opposed chaplains in the armed forces, House, or Senate.

Horseshit.

Jefferson used federal funds to help support St. John's Church - which your party tried to burn down in 2020 during the Floyd Insurrection.

Government is not prohibiting religion when it does not post the 10 Commandments in public places.

Only when it PROHIBITS posting them.

Liberty is such a difficult concept and so distasteful to you Marxists.

The public is still free to say or do anything to express their religion, but government cannot mandate that behavior.

A passive display is not mandating anything.

No one is compelled to believe, profess, recite, or even read anything.

The mere presence must be suppressed according to you anti-civil rights types.

Students can post a copy of the Commandments on their personal material, gather around to pray before school or lunch, or choose to include a prayer as part of their graduation ceremony, but government may not require it.

Good thing no such requirement exists.

Notice how you can't discuss this honestly? Only by dishonestly claiming there is some sort of requirement can you fabricate an excuse for censoring ideas that offend you.

Freedom of speech - which you so aggressively oppose comes down to the idea that I can say whatever I like, and you can say whatever you like. If what I say offends you, all the better. What you promote certainly offends a civil libertarian like me.

What you can't grasp is that you can't use the government to silence, to censor speech that offends you. I grew up with Taoist principles plastered on the walls of a public high school - it provided a broader perspective. But you fear knowledge, you want to ensure that ideas that run contrary to your party are suppressed.

The Ten Commandments are not universal because they were written with a specific audience in mind. Exodus 20:2 states, "I am the LORD your God who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slaves".

Horseshit.

Jefferson used federal funds to help support St. John's Church - which your party tried to burn down in 2020 during the Floyd Insurrection.

Only when it PROHIBITS posting them.

Liberty is such a difficult concept and so distasteful to you Marxists.

Good thing no such requirement exists.

Notice how you can't discuss this honestly? Only by dishonestly claiming there is some sort of requirement can you fabricate an excuse for censoring ideas that offend you.

Freedom of speech - which you so aggressively oppose comes down to the idea that I can say whatever I like, and you can say whatever you like. If what I say offends you, all the better. What you promote certainly offends a civil libertarian like me.

What you can't grasp is that you can't use the government to silence, to censor speech that offends you. I grew up with Taoist principles plastered on the walls of a public high school - it provided a broader perspective. But you fear knowledge, you want to ensure that ideas that run contrary to your party are suppressed.
You miss the entire point. I favor complete free speech. It is not government that is censoring speech, it is government passing a law/policy that has no secular purpose. There is nothing secular about requirng a school to post the 10 Commandments.

Is it government censorship to strike down a law requiring students to being class with a prayer or attend church on Sunday? No, it is striking down law which government requires religious conduct.

You should do some research about the controversy about chaplains in the military or Congress. Whatever Jefferson did does not override what Madison or other founders did. There was a wide variety of opinions by the men writing the Constitution and Bill of Rights.

If government (federal, state, local) requires a school to post the 10 commandments that violates the establishment clause because it requires religious conduct. Government cannot help or hinder religion. What would be the purpose to displaying the Commandments eves it is not religious?

No shit, Sherlock?
Compositional error fallacy. I am not talking about the entire Constitution, Commie. I'm talking about the 1st amendment, which does not apply to the States.
Until 1925-1947 when a series of court decisions made most (but not all) of the Bill of Right applicable to the states. Then, most of the other rights were made applicable through a serious of court decisions. The last decision was in 2010 when the 2nd amendment was extended to the states. This is called the incorporation process.

The original purpose of the Bill of Rights was to limit the powers of the federal government; therefore, they applied only to the fedeal government. The 1st amendment says "Congress shall pass no law." "Congress shall pass no law" was not repeated for each of the other amendments but was intended to apply to them as well since the purpose of all the Bill of Rights to only to retrict the central government.

Into the Night and his socks recognizes the intent and wording of the 1st amendment to restrict federal action. However, they do not recognize the incorporation process that extended these to the states.

Also, since "Congress shall make no law" was not repeated for the 2-8th amendments, they think those amendments apply to both federal and state governments although nothing in the wording says that. So, because they do not recognized Supreme Court case law they completely distort the interpretation.

Wrong. It mandates government (schools) post a copy of the 10 commandments in all classrooms.

Only fascists favor a government powerful enough to dictate or prohibit religious activities. Libertarians favor limited government that remains neutral toward religion.

That does not mean we want government to suppress religion, it means we do not want government to mandate or prohibit religion. You have the concept backward.

The mere presence does not need to be suppressed when the activites are initiated by private organizations in non-governmental locations. A church can put a manger scene on church or private property but government cannot require that scene on government grounds.

I see a lot of lawsuits coming against this crap?!! I'm tired of these religious fanatics shoving their religion and beliefs on the rest of us?!!
There is something called a separation of church and state too!

BATON ROUGE, La. — Louisiana has become the first state to require that the Ten Commandments be displayed in every public school classroom, the latest move from a GOP-dominated Legislature pushing a conservative agenda under a new governor.

The legislation that Republican Gov. Jeff Landry signed into law on Wednesday requires a poster-sized display of the Ten Commandments in “large, easily readable font” in all public classrooms, from kindergarten to state-funded universities.

Opponents questioned the law’s constitutionality and vowed to challenge it in court. Proponents said the the measure is not solely religious, but that it has historical significance. In the language of the law, the Ten Commandments are “foundational documents of our state and national government.”

The posters, which will be paired with a four-paragraph “context statement” describing how the Ten Commandments “were a prominent part of American public education for almost three centuries,” must be in place in classrooms by the start of 2025.

Under the law, state funds will not be used to implement the mandate. The posters would be paid for through donations.

The law also “authorizes” but does not require the display of other items in K-12 public schools, including: The Mayflower Compact, which was signed by religious pilgrims aboard the Mayflower in 1620 and is often referred to as America’s “First Constitution"; the Declaration of Independence; and the Northwest Ordinance, which established a government in the Northwest Territory — in the present day Midwest — and created a pathway for admitting new states to the Union.

Not long after the governor signed the bill into law at Our Lady of Fatima Catholic School in Lafayette on Wednesday, civil rights groups and organizations that want to keep religion out of government promised to file a lawsuit challenging it.

https://www.npr.org/2024/06/19/nx-s1-5012597/louisiana-10-commandments-law-public-school-classrooms

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-apps/imrs.php?src=https://arc-anglerfish-washpost-prod-washpost.s3.amazonaws.com/public/2ZR43BIM3NGKBGKSH7HUUYIKQU.jpg&w=1200
I put up with some serious religious discrimination at the high school I attended. This crap cannot be tolerated as a violation of our rights. I don’t want any kids force fed someone else’s religion. It’s not a pleasant experience for the kids who experience this form of bigotry. I can tell you that from personal experience.

The headlines could have read, “Sacred Jewish text to be posted in Louisiana classrooms; most Jews are opposed.”

That headline would have been correct.

Yes, Louisiana Gov. Jeff Landry has signed a law that mandates the Ten Commandments be posted in every public education classroom in the state — the first state to do so.

And, yes, the Ten Commandments are a sacred Jewish text (known as the aseret ha-dibrot, the 10 utterances), which is not the reason why he has made that a mandate. I doubt he has reflected overly much on their Jewish origin

But, no, this rabbi is not happy about this. I daresay I speak for many if not most Jews in America in voicing my displeasure and my concern.

You miss the entire point. I favor complete free speech.

That is clearly not true. You seek to use the power of government to censor speech you oppose.

It is not government that is censoring speech, it is government passing a law/policy that has no secular purpose. There is nothing secular about requirng a school to post the 10 Commandments.

"Secular" is not the established religion - though you demand it be.

Is it government censorship to strike down a law requiring students to being class with a prayer or attend church on Sunday? No, it is striking down law which government requires religious conduct.

No such law exists. As I said - you cannot defend your assault on free speech honestly - you have to make dishonest claims of forced prayers and other things that simply don't exist.

You should do some research about the controversy about chaplains in the military or Congress. Whatever Jefferson did does not override what Madison or other founders did. There was a wide variety of opinions by the men writing the Constitution and Bill of Rights.

If government (federal, state, local) requires a school to post the 10 commandments that violates the establishment clause because it requires religious conduct. Government cannot help or hinder religion. What would be the purpose to displaying the Commandments eves it is not religious?

No conduct is required from passive displays.

You cannot defend your assault on free speech honestly - you have to make dishonest claims of forced prayers and other things that simply don't exist.

Wrong. It mandates government (schools) post a copy of the 10 commandments in all classrooms.

And?

This compels no action by the students/

Only fascists favor a government powerful enough to dictate or prohibit religious activities.

Only fascists seek to censor ideas they oppose using the power of the state.

Libertarians favor limited government that remains neutral toward religion.

Correct, libertarians oppose censorship of speech. Fascists support "managed speech" where government dictates what may or may not be said or displayed.

That does not mean we want government to suppress religion,

You do, though. You openly demand that government suppress ideas you oppose.

it means we do not want government to mandate or prohibit religion. You have the concept backward.

Passive displays mandate nothing. It appears you support an established religion of "secularism" and are offended that states may violate the official religion.

The mere presence does not need to be suppressed when the activites are initiated by private organizations in non-governmental locations.

And yet those such as you routinely attack private organizations who dare express ideals in contrast to the established religion.

A church can put a manger scene on church or private property but government cannot require that scene on government grounds.

Can government prohibit that scene? Hint - they do all the time.

Reactions: TOP
I put up with some serious religious discrimination at the high school I attended. This crap cannot be tolerated as a violation of our rights. I don’t want any kids force fed someone else’s religion. It’s not a pleasant experience for the kids who experience this form of bigotry. I can tell you that from personal experience.
That isn't a problem here now is it? (Our public schools follow Jewish holidays, etc.... No one seems to complain...;))

Posting the 10 commandments is "bigotry?"

I think you'll find the actual bigot in a mirror.

I'm not concerned. This will get slapped down hard as it should be.

By whom? This is predicated on a SCOTUS decision - who do you see censoring these displays?

Government schools are a bad idea. People have different values. The left wants to groom children to be trans or gay - the right wants to guide children to moral beliefs based on Biblical principles.

The left is outraged that the 10 Commandments aren't censored - for fear that exposure could hamper grooming efforts. The Right is angered that the left sexualizes very young children and grooms them to the LGBTQRSTUVWXYZ lifestyle.

Government shouldn't be involved in this - in schools. Let parents alone decide what school their child attends and what values they wish to instill in those children.

Back