Luther and the Jews

Constant pain can produce mental illness and negative, hateful thoughts. Again, look at the bitter, angry assholes on JPP and look for similarities: Elderly Euro-culture "Christian" males.

I wonder if Luther started to suffer clinical paranoia. It's not just that he thought the Jews were wrong, stubborn, liars.

He began to think they were mouthpieces for the devil.

Which is how Luther started to think about the Pope too.

I wonder if Luther started to suffer clinical paranoia. It's not just that he thought the Jews were wrong, stubborn, liars.

He began to think they were mouthpieces for the devil.

Which is how Luther started to think about the Pope too.
Possible. He was going through a lot of health issues and, what he wrote in the end, seemed to conform to the current anti-Jewish ideology so being hateful from pain and/or disease then going with the flow would have been a natural progression.

much of the catholic church supported the nazis.

Define "much".

My understanding is that German Catholics were generally more suspicious of the rise of Nazism than were German Lutherans, and German Catholics tended to be a target of Nazi persecution.
The Lutheran church is a State church in Germany and Scandinavia. Lutheranism is basically the German national religion.

I'd have to research it, but I suspect Hitler was more suspicious of the loyalty of the minority Catholics in southern Germany, who in theory answer to the holy Bishop of Rome.

No, we can't ignore Plato's misogyny any more than we can ignore Luther's anti-Semitism.

sure we can.....we can ignore all the stupid things people used to think......if you can't, you are unable to think on your own......sadly, that may be possible.....

sure we can.....we can ignore all the stupid things people used to think......if you can't, you are unable to think on your own......sadly, that may be possible.....
It's not ancient history. Antisemitism is part of the Catholic and Protestant history and tradition.

Other than a few courageous German Lutheran ministers, the Lutheran Church barely lifted a finger during the Holocaust.

White Christian nationalism in 21st century America is peppered with xenophobes and antisemites.

The intelligent person looks to history to gain insight into why this is.

It's not ancient history. Antisemitism is part of the Catholic and Protestant history and tradition.

Other than a few courageous German Lutheran ministers, the Lutheran Church barely lifted a finger during the Holocaust.

White Christian nationalism in 21st century America is peppered with xenophobes and antisemites.

Agreed on the history.

OTOH, let's not forget that the early Christians were killing each other, too, and declaring each other heretics. LOL

don't move the goalpost......the topic was whether we needed to study what Luther thought about Jews.....and only an idiot believes there really is a "white Christian nationalism" unless of course he is as bigoted as Luther was.....

don't move the goalpost......the topic was whether we needed to study what Luther thought about Jews.....and only an idiot believes there really is a "white Christian nationalism" unless of course he is as bigoted as Luther was.....

So the story here is that you believe that antisemitism doesn't exist in Christianity, and you have no interest in knowing anything about the historical context of antisemiy.

Agreed on the history.

OTOH, let's not forget that the early Christians were killing each other, too, and declaring each other heretics. LOL

Christianity set a pretty high bar for itself in terms of emulating the moral example of Jesus, so it's probably important to be aware of how often that bar is not cleared.

Ghandi said if Christians acted like Christians, Hinduism would go extinct in India because everyone would convert.

Christianity set a pretty high bar for itself in terms of emulating the moral example of Jesus, so it's probably important to be aware of how often that bar is not cleared.

Ghandi said if Christians acted like Christians, Hinduism would go extinct in India because everyone would convert.

LOL. Gotta love Ghandi. :thup:

So the story here is that you believe that antisemitism doesn't exist in Christianity, and you have no interest in knowing anything about the historical context of antisemiy.

no.....it's that you are one of the dense fools that believe there is a thing called white Christian nationalism because he's anti-Christian and who thinks you can find intelligence in 499 year old antisemitism instead of seeking an understanding of tolerance in the 21st Century

no.....it's that you are one of the dense fools that believe there is a thing called white Christian nationalism because he's anti-Christian and who thinks you can find intelligence in 499 year old antisemitism instead of seeking an understanding of tolerance in the 21st Century

I love it when you get shitfaced and start lying your ass off. LOL

https://isps.yale.edu/news/blog/2022/10/understanding-white-christian-nationalism
Understanding White Christian Nationalism
“A common misunderstanding would be that it is the same thing as being a patriotic Christian,” said Philip Gorski, chair of the Department of Sociology at Yale. “Patriotism is an adherence to the ideals of the United States, and nationalism is loyalty to your tribe and not the country.”...

...“We want there to be a deeper and clearer understanding of what white Christian nationalism is,” Gorski said. “It’s a term that even five years ago you wouldn’t hear outside of a seminar room, but since the January 6th attack on the Capitol, it’s started to circulate in national newscasts, sometimes applying to any set of ideas people don’t like. We want to be clear that it’s not all Christians, not all white people.”

Religions tend to be intolerant of competing religions, with their intolerance and HATRED of competing religions depending on the extent to which they fear those religions. For example, Marxists absolutely fear Christianity and thus remain completely intolerant of Christians.

I love it when you mindlessly rave really stupid crap. You are always good for a laugh.

Nationalism is normally used as a synonym for patriotism, otherwise it simply signifies an aversion to globalism. You should have paid attention in school, however if you had, I wouldn't be having so much fun today.

There is no such thing as white nationalism, blue nationalism, green nationalism or really any color nationalism ... except for "tangerine." I'd have to check again but I'm fairly certain there is a rather strong tangerine nationalism.

So the story here is that you believe that there is antisemitism in Christianity. Why should anyone believe this? Do you even know what "antisemitism" means?

Let me guess, you're going to flee just like you did when I challenged you on the Dharmapada, aren't you?

I love it when you mindlessly rave really stupid crap. You are always good for a laugh.

Nationalism is normally used as a synonym for patriotism, otherwise it simply signifies an aversion to globalism. You should have paid attention in school, however if you had, I wouldn't be having so much fun today.

There is no such thing as white nationalism, blue nationalism, green nationalism or really any color nationalism ... except for "tangerine." I'd have to check again but I'm fairly certain there is a rather strong tangerine nationalism.
Of course you do, Spanky. If I didn't, how could you spank your monkey?

I love it when you try to sound sane. Like the Scarecrow at the end of the Wizard of Oz misquoting the wrong formula while showing off his ThD, Doctor of Thinkology:
"The sum of the square roots of any two sides of an Isosceles triangle is equal to the square root of the remaining side."

Like your manifesto linked in your two sock's signatures, you reveal your true nature through your online behavior. Now go spank your monkeys. :thup:

7rgrlc.jpg

So the story here is that you believe that antisemitism doesn't exist in Christianity, and you have no interest in knowing anything about the historical context of antisemitism.

--->

How anti-Semitic beliefs have taken hold among some evangelical Christians

While Trump calls most Jews disloyal, some American Christians are following pastors who blame Jews for a long list of the nation’s ills

https://www.washingtonpost.com/reli...taken-hold-among-some-evangelical-christians/

https://isps.yale.edu/news/blog/2022/10/understanding-white-christian-nationalism
“A common misunderstanding would be that it is the same thing as being a patriotic Christian,” said Philip Gorski, chair of the Department of Sociology at Yale. “Patriotism is an adherence to the ideals of the United States, and nationalism is loyalty to your tribe and not the country.”...

...“We want there to be a deeper and clearer understanding of what white Christian nationalism is,” Gorski said. “It’s a term that even five years ago you wouldn’t hear outside of a seminar room, but since the January 6th attack on the Capitol, it’s started to circulate in national newscasts, sometimes applying to any set of ideas people don’t like. We want to be clear that it’s not all Christians, not all white people.”

I believe a genuine Christian should be introspective, self-critical, self-reflective*.

Denying that there is anti-Semitism in Christianity, and choosing ignorance about it's historical context, is not only lying to oneself, its the type of blatant dishonesty that ruins one's witness of Christ.

* Those are good practices for anyone.

I believe a genuine Christian should be introspective, self-critical, self-reflective*.

Denying that there is anti-Semitism in Christianity, and choosing ignorance about it's historical context, is not only lying to oneself, its the type of blatant dishonesty that ruins one's witness of Christ.

* Those are good practices for anyone.
Agreed on Christian piety....which is completely lacking among the RW White Christian Nationalists.

Agreed on recognizing the antisemitism in some Christians, especially the Evangelistas and Trumper Nationalist Christians.

here we have one dense fool quoting another dense fool in hopes that no one will notice that since there are two of them, neither are dense fools........because we know they are dense fools, the ploy is unsuccessful.......

Back