Mom forced to live in car with dogs

Those were my questions as well. She has three grown kids. One is 19 so probably not much help... but what of the other two.

Also... why the hell does she continue to stay in the Santa Barbara area? Totally agree that she should look to move to a lower cost of living area.

I went to work at 16 to help support my family when my dad died .

At least it isn't cats.

QFT

Did she ever once think about moving to a lower cost area of the country? Lots of people are forced to do it all the time. Her story is unique in that she's so stupid she would stay in a high cost area and be homeless. What a dumb person.

I saw this story on the news . Her child is 18 and moved in with friends and the mother moved to the car. The daughter cries every time she shes the mother and the mohter says she if very worried about her. She just tells her shes fine and things will get better.

Its not the childs fault.

Those were my questions as well. She has three grown kids. One is 19 so probably not much help... but what of the other two.

Also... why the hell does she continue to stay in the Santa Barbara area? Totally agree that she should look to move to a lower cost of living area.

I have to agree with that. While you're not going to be living the high life by any stretch of the imagination and will for all intents and purposes still be considered poor, if you're making $8/hr, you can afford to have a roof over your head if you have a job and a car. Plus, she's eligible for SS.

QFT

Did she ever once think about moving to a lower cost area of the country? Lots of people are forced to do it all the time. Her story is unique in that she's so stupid she would stay in a high cost area and be homeless. What a dumb person.

No, no - "dumb" is arguing that not having children is taking away the right to live of people who haven't even been conceived yet. That's dumb.

She's just down on her luck.

I saw this story on the news . Her child is 18 and moved in with friends and the mother moved to the car. The daughter cries every time she shes the mother and the mohter says she if very worried about her. She just tells her shes fine and things will get better.

Again, she has 3 kids, not just the one. Keep up.

I have to agree with that. While you're not going to be living the high life by any stretch of the imagination and will for all intents and purposes still be considered poor, if you're making $8/hr, you can afford to have a roof over your head if you have a job and a car. Plus, she's eligible for SS.

Not where she lives LadyT.

a point, if the repo company comes after her SUV do they have to go thru the eviction process ?
and where do her dogs stay while she is at work ? You get a ticket here in a hurry if you leave a dog in a car.

I went to work at 16 to help support my family when my dad died .

Why does this not surprize me in the least?

It must be why you are able to understand people do go through rough times which have nothing to do with the unwillingness to participate in our economy.

You are a good son and brother usc.

Not where she lives LadyT.

a point, if the repo company comes after her SUV do they have to go thru the eviction process ?

Of course you can't live on 8/hr in Santa Barbara. But you can manage to not be homeless somewhere else in Cali on that salary. I guess that's the good thing about not having a home, repo'ing your car will be nearly impossible.

This is why I can't accept the "forced" part of the headline.

Again, she has 3 kids, not just the one. Keep up.

My parents were homeless for a while (couple of months). They did not tell me. I found out later that my mohter was sleeping in the same parking lot where I worked. It broke my heart to think I happily went to work and home while she slept in her car.

The story stated that she had THREE grown children. The 19 year old is staying with friends, so like you said, she cannot do much. But where are the other two?

Side note... if there are other women in the same situation... why do they not work together? Go to a lower cost of living area and rent a home or apartment together... to get back on their feet. I just cannot see her recovering economically while living in Santa Barbara... one of the higher cost of living locations in the US.

Her job is only part time. This may be why she doesnt move (she also said this city is her home) If she goes somewhere else she doesnt even have a part time job. How do you get a job when you have no address to give them?

Moving to the lower cost of living area usually means driving farther to work. At $4/gal $8/hr does not last long.

A person might to be able to get by around here in the slums for $8/hr. might.

I know a guy who raised a family of 6 kids on a salary similar to $8 an hour. Admittedly, he owned his own home (inherited) but he made ends meet. I really think that there are alternatives to living in one's vehicle but a lot of times pride and sometimes fear keeps a person from exploring those alternatives.

My parents were homeless for a while (couple of months). They did not tell me. I found out later that my mohter was sleeping in the same parking lot where I worked. It broke my heart to think I happily went to work and home while she slept in her car.
Okay. Was there a news story about her? Did you somehow miss that? You cannot feel guilt when they don't tell you.

Back