NATO’s Scorched Earth in Ukraine | Consortium News

. Russia continues firing generals amid ‘purge’ by defense ministry
Russia sacked two generals in the past week, as Moscow’s Ministry of Defense reportedly continues to purge its top officers, pointing to a growing disarray in the military leadership following the aborted rebellion by the Wagner mercenary group.

Seliverstov’s reported firing comes days after Maj. Gen. Ivan Popov was sacked following a recorded tirade he went on against the Russian government, in which he raised questions about high casualty rates and lack of artillery support, echoing the themes of some of the tirades posted by Wagner Group chief Yevgeny Prigozhin in the weeks leading up to last month’s short-lived mutiny.

Popov, 48, claimed in a voice recording published by Russian Politician Andrew Gurulyov that he was fired as head of the 58th Combined Arms Army in retaliation for his criticism.

“I had no right to lie in the name of you, in the name of my fallen comrades in arms, so I outlined all the problems which exist,” he said in the recording.
https://nypost.com/2023/07/15/russia-continues-firing-generals-amid-purge-by-defense-ministry/

The New York Times reported on October 20, 2014, that the Ukrainian government dropped cluster bombs on Russian-speaking Ukrainians in Donetsk.

How many Americans know that Ukraine started dropping cluster bombs on civilians in Eastern Ukraine in 2014?

Source:
twitter.com/KanekoaTheGreat/status/1680672095444029440

It is interesting that the Pravda of the Revolution has been embarrished into telling a little truth.

I think it's more that now and again, there's still some decent reporting in the New York Times, though I suspect it's getting rarer.

Yes, Russia is becoming a rump state economically.
Their biggest trading partners besides China were in the EU before the war. And most of that was oil and gas.
All they have is China, Turkey and India to buy their gas - at a discount.

What they have is much more than sufficient to win this war. However, like John Mearsheimer wrote in the introduction to his "The Darkness Ahead" article, it will probably be an ugly win:

Russia will ultimately win the war, although it will not decisively defeat Ukraine. In other words, it is not going to conquer all of Ukraine, which is necessary to achieve three of Moscow’s goals: overthrowing the regime, demilitarizing the country, and severing Kyiv’s security ties with the West. But it will end up annexing a large swath of Ukrainian territory, while turning Ukraine into a dysfunctional rump state. In other words, Russia will win an ugly victory.

Source:
The Darkness Ahead: Where The Ukraine War Is Headed | mearsheimer.substack.com

I guess you commis think we will forget the Russian army marching to the Ukraine border.

First of all, who are these mythical "commis" you are referring to? Secondly, the march towards Ukraine prior to their intervention in Ukraine was a response to Ukraine and NATO actions prior to said intervention and it happened a fair amount of time before the intervention as well. Former Swiss Intelligence Officer Jacques Baud elaborates in an article that was published on Scheerpost back in April 2022:

THE OUTBREAK OF WAR

Since November 2021, the Americans have constantly brandished the threat of a Russian invasion against Ukraine. However, the Ukrainians do not seem to agree. Why ?

We have to go back to March 24, 2021. On that day, Volodymyr Zelensky issued a decree for the reconquest of Crimea and began to deploy his forces towards the south of the country. Simultaneously, several NATO exercises were conducted between the Black Sea and the Baltic Sea, accompanied by a significant increase in reconnaissance flights along the Russian border. Russia then conducts a few exercises to test the operational readiness of its troops and show that it is following the evolution of the situation.

Things calm down until October-November with the end of the ZAPAD 21 exercises, whose troop movements are interpreted as a reinforcement for an offensive against Ukraine. However, even the Ukrainian authorities refute the idea of ​​Russian preparations for a war and Oleksiy Reznikov, Ukrainian Minister of Defense declares that there has been no change on its border since the spring.

Things really heat up in early February 2022, ofcourse, as Mr. Baud points out:

In February 2022, events rush. On February 7, during his visit to Moscow, Emmanuel Macron reaffirms to Vladimir Putin his attachment to the Minsk Accords , a commitment he will repeat after his interview with Volodymyr Zelensky the next day. But on February 11, in Berlin, after 9 hours of work, the meeting of the political advisers of the leaders of the ” Normandy format “ ends, without concrete result: the Ukrainians still and always refuse to apply the Accordsof Minsk, apparently under pressure from the United States. Vladimir Putin then notes that Macron has made empty promises to him and that the West is not ready to enforce the Accords, as they have been doing for eight years.

Ukrainian preparations in the contact zone continue. The Russian Parliament is alarmed and on February 15 asks Vladimir Putin to recognize the independence of the Republics, which he refuses.

On February 17, President Joe Biden announces that Russia will attack Ukraine in the coming days. How does he know? Mystery… But since the 16th, the artillery shelling of the populations of Donbass has increased dramatically, as shown by the daily reports of OSCE observers. Naturally, neither the media, nor the European Union, nor NATO, nor any Western government reacts and intervenes. We will say later that this is Russian disinformation. In fact, it seems that the European Union and some countries purposely glossed over the massacre of the people of Donbass, knowing that it would provoke Russian intervention.

[snip]

In fact, as early as February 16, Joe Biden knows that the Ukrainians began to shell the civilian populations of Donbass, putting Vladimir Putin in front of a difficult choice: to help Donbass militarily and create an international problem or to sit idle and watch Russian speakers. from the Donbass being run over.

If he decides to intervene, Vladimir Putin can invoke the international obligation of “ Responsibility To Protect ” (R2P). But he knows that whatever its nature or scale, the intervention will trigger a shower of sanctions. Therefore, whether its intervention is limited to the Donbass or whether it goes further to put pressure on the West for the status of Ukraine, the price to be paid will be the same. This is what he explains in his speech on February 21.

That day, he acceded to the request of the Duma and recognized the independence of the two Republics of Donbass and, in the process, he signed treaties of friendship and assistance with them.

The Ukrainian artillery bombardments on the populations of Donbass continued and, on February 23, the two Republics requested military aid from Russia. On the 24th, Vladimir Putin invokes Article 51 of the United Nations Charter which provides for mutual military assistance within the framework of a defensive alliance.

when the world leaders are weak and ignore his aggression he shouldn't fear them and it won't make a difference in his aggression......you are just confirming what Tinker said about Biden......

As I've mentioned before, it was NATO members, particularly the U.S., whose aggression was instrumental in getting Russia to intervene in the Ukraine civil war. The 2 factors was NATO expansion eastward despite U.S. officials' promises of not going on inch east of Germany and the renewed attack on the Donbass Republics just days before Russia finally decided to intervene in the Ukraine civil war. For more information on the second part, I made a thread that references an article from a former Swiss Intelligence Officer who gets into the details:

Former Swiss Intelligence Officer blows the whistle on West's Ukraine War Narrative | justplainpolitics.com

yes, you have......it was very stupid for you to have mentioned it.....

That made me chuckle :-p. It's easy to claim whatever you like. The hard part is providing evidence for your claims. I provide reams of evidence in a lot of posts. You haven't provided any for yours yet that I've seen.

the only aggression was that of Putin, over and over again.......

Putin intervened in the Ukrainian civil war that had gone on for 8 years after Ukraine had killed thousands of eastern Ukrainians, many of whom were ethnic Russians and Russian speakers.

I am curious......why do you side with Russia against the US?

First of all, I think it's useful to point out in times like this that we're talking about specific actions carried out by the Russian and the U.S. governments. Much ado has been made of the fact that some Russians were against Russia's intervention in Ukraine, but less is said that there were some Americans who had warned the U.S. government that its continued expansion of NATO and its reckless behaviour in Ukraine would lead to the war between western Ukraine and Russia that we have now.

Secondly, it's also clear that there are voices within the U.S. who have been saying from the start that the best resolution to the Ukraine war is to get back to negotiating a settlement with Russia that they would be willing to accept. It would have been better to do so a long time ago, back when Russia hadn't yet annexed large swaths of Ukrainian territory beyond the Donbass, but better late than never. From what I've read, I strongly suspect that the longer Ukraine waits, the more likely it is that they will lose even more territory permanently.

are you a recent immigrant?.......are you a paid agent for a foreign government?......what's your motive?......

I was born and lived most of my life in Canada. I've also lived in Mexico a few times, including now. My father is Mexican, my mother is Canadian and I've done the paperwork to be a dual citizen.

No, I am not a "paid agent". This claim made by various posters has irritated me to the point that I've straight out thread banned some people who kept on going with said claim. If you want to see the evidence for my claims, you need look no further than the articles I reference and quote extensively in my posts.

My motive is relatively simple- I just like people to know what I believe is the truth. I could ask you what -your- motive is. I imagine it's the same, but if not, by all means elaborate on what your motive is.

Many younger people are not aware of how dire things were in the Cold War, for the USSR, which was far bigger and stronger than Russia is now, with far more countries and resources to draw upon.

Shelves bare. Things like automobiles generations behind. Lots of poverty and despair.

Many older Russians do recall.

I think it's you who are missing a very important factor in Russian history, which is what happened immediately -after- the breakup of the Soviet Union. There's an article in theconversation.com that gets into the details:

Demise of the democrats

The 1990s began with the Soviet Union’s first multiparty elections in March 1990 when Boris Yeltsin emerged as leader of Russia. It ended, punctually, on December 31, 1999, when Yeltsin resigned in favour of Putin, his designated successor.

The decade included two failed coups in 1991 and 1993, and the abolition of both the ruling Communist Party and the USSR. Massive economic dislocation occurred as Soviet economic ties were severed, a market economy was created and shock therapy accompanied by mass privatisation.

The social impact was immense. Life expectancy fell, with up to five million excess adult deaths in Russia in 1991-2001, birth rates collapsed and both of these trends were compounded by widespread crime and trafficking. These negative effects were concentrated in periods of economic crisis in 1991-94 and 1998-99.

Sharply rising inequality and the emergence of a new wealthy class, including some leading reformers, meant that the term “democrat” had become a term of abuse as early as 1992.

Full article:
The wild decade: how the 1990s laid the foundations for Vladimir Putin’s Russia | theconversation.com

I think it's you who are missing a very important factor in Russian history, which is what happened immediately -after- the breakup of the Soviet Union. There's an article in theconversation.com that gets into the details:

Demise of the democrats

The 1990s began with the Soviet Union’s first multiparty elections in March 1990 when Boris Yeltsin emerged as leader of Russia. It ended, punctually, on December 31, 1999, when Yeltsin resigned in favour of Putin, his designated successor.

The decade included two failed coups in 1991 and 1993, and the abolition of both the ruling Communist Party and the USSR. Massive economic dislocation occurred as Soviet economic ties were severed, a market economy was created and shock therapy accompanied by mass privatisation.

The social impact was immense. Life expectancy fell, with up to five million excess adult deaths in Russia in 1991-2001, birth rates collapsed and both of these trends were compounded by widespread crime and trafficking. These negative effects were concentrated in periods of economic crisis in 1991-94 and 1998-99.

Sharply rising inequality and the emergence of a new wealthy class, including some leading reformers, meant that the term “democrat” had become a term of abuse as early as 1992.

Full article:
The wild decade: how the 1990s laid the foundations for Vladimir Putin’s Russia | theconversation.com
The war aside, why can’t Russia ever get its act together as a country?
They have the arts, science, apparently a good education system, abundant natural resources.
They have everything they need to be one of the most successful and advanced societies in the world.
Shame, really.

I could ask you what -your- motive is.

preventing others from falling for your ignorance.....there is a remote possibility that Putin, like you, was stupid enough to think that Georgia, Crimea or Ukraine were threats to Russian security; but it is far more likely that is he using your stupidity against us.....

What they have is much more than sufficient to win this war. However, like John Mearsheimer wrote in the introduction to his "The Darkness Ahead" article, it will probably be an ugly win:

Probably, maybe, maybe not. Who knows? Mearsheimer himself admits he can’t predict the outcome.
Conventional wisdom had it that Russia would basically annex all of Ukraine, install a puppet government and assassinate ( two assassination squads were eliminated ) or imprison Zelenskyy.
Now they’re basically in a stalemate and Zelenskyy is practically a national hero.

Last edited:
Probably, maybe, maybe not. Who knows? Mearsheimer himself admits he can’t predict the outcome.
Conventional wisdom had it that Russia would basically annex all of Ukraine, install a puppet government and assassinate ( two assassination squads were eliminated ) or imprison Zelenskyy.
Now they’re basically in a stalemate and Zelenskyy is practically a national hero.

You have no idea of what reality looks like.

Back