Nazi Alert

Actually, that's a stupid response. You've been marginalizing the effects of second hand smoke this entire thread! Just because you happen to find an author that talks of a few studies suddenly I'm supposed to discredit doctors from leading research facilities and governmental agencies who concur that secondhand smoke is bad.

FROM YOUR OWN ARTICLE:

Last July, introducing his office's latest report on secondhand smoke, then-U.S. Surgeon General Richard Carmona asserted that "there is no risk-free level of secondhand smoke exposure," that "breathing secondhand smoke for even a short time can damage cells and set the cancer process in motion," and that children exposed to secondhand smoke will "eventually . . . develop cardiovascular disease and cancers over time."

Did you read the whole article? I have skimmed the reports that are the basis of the second hand smoke fearmongering. The studies cited all use interviews to determine exposure levels. Further, they are not able to duplicate results. Also, standard levels of deviation were decreased in order to fit the data to the conclusions. The science is crap.

Actually, that's a stupid response. You've been marginalizing the effects of second hand smoke this entire thread! Just because you happen to find an author that talks of a few studies suddenly I'm supposed to discredit doctors from leading research facilities and governmental agencies who concur that secondhand smoke is bad.

FROM YOUR OWN ARTICLE:

Last July, introducing his office's latest report on secondhand smoke, then-U.S. Surgeon General Richard Carmona asserted that "there is no risk-free level of secondhand smoke exposure," that "breathing secondhand smoke for even a short time can damage cells and set the cancer process in motion," and that children exposed to secondhand smoke will "eventually . . . develop cardiovascular disease and cancers over time."

The guy who wrote it and his "health policy center" are whoring "safe cigarettes"

I smell tobacco money.

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1447491

Did you read the whole article? I have skimmed the reports that are the basis of the second hand smoke fearmongering. The studies cited all use interviews to determine exposure levels. Further, they are not able to duplicate results. Also, standard levels of deviation were decreased in order to fit the data to the conclusions. The science is crap.

I mean seriously?

He "skimmed" scientific reports, and concluded the science was "crap"

Can anyone imagine if a liberal wrote this?

LOL

Please, stop embarrassing yourself. Where the hell do you people get the idea that you have any standing with anybody, to dispute scientists?

You sound like Dano to me now. Grasping on to a few fringe studies and passing that on as generally accepted science.

Again. You can listen to Gio Batta Bing batta bang if you want to. I'm going with the surgeon general and his biomarkers.

http://www.surgeongeneral.gov/library/secondhandsmoke/factsheets/factsheet6.html

Darla, possibly, does not change the fact that you can't rely on interviews to determine exposure levels.

http://www.surgeongeneral.gov/library/secondhandsmoke/factsheets/factsheet6.html

Levels of a chemical called cotinine, a biomarker of secondhand smoke exposure, fell by 70 percent from 1988-91 to 2001-02. In national surveys, however, 43 percent of U.S. nonsmokers still have detectable levels of cotinine.

Yeah. Maybe RSTring's right. I know that sometimes I like to fib about my cotinine levels.

I mean seriously?

He "skimmed" scientific reports, and concluded the science was "crap"

Can anyone imagine if a liberal wrote this?

LOL

Please, stop embarrassing yourself. Where the hell do you people get the idea that you have any standing with anybody, to dispute scientists?

Hellllloooooo!!!!!!!!!!! Its like he stole a page from the Dano playbook. Did you notice that Gio's writing for the Cato institute?

Hellllloooooo!!!!!!!!!!! Its like he stole a page from the Dano playbook. Did you notice that Gio's writing for the Cato institute?

Oh yes, Cato jumped out at me right away. That's why I googled his public health policy center, and then saw what he is writing about safe cigarettes.

Yes, RS sounds like Dano in this thread. It's just like Dano's "global warming hoax" threads.

The Belmont City Council has voted to approve an ordinance prohibiting smoking in multiunit housing, a measure hailed by supporters as a landmark ban that would give residents relief from secondhand smoke drifting into their apartments and condominiums.

Holy crap! Hiltler would be proud.

LOL. Yeah. A little known fact is that a chapter was omitted in the last hours of before publication in 'mein kempf' that mentioned banning smoking in multi unit dwellings. The editor felt it would be better suited in Mein Kempf Part Deux.

You sound like Dano to me now. Grasping on to a few fringe studies and passing that on as generally accepted science.

Again. You can listen to Gio Batta Bing batta bang if you want to. I'm going with the surgeon general and his biomarkers.

I am not listening to anyone person. Carmona's claims are based on the EPA's 1993 study which contains the flaws I have noted. You two can keep cackling about sources all you like but you cannot change the fact that an interview is not a reliable basis for a study of this sort and you have not even bothered to challenge that. You just throw out ad homs.

And since you know the government is always the best source of information and science I am sure you will both agree with Petraeus and further the info given in the lead up to the war.

LOL. Yeah. A little known fact is that a chapter was omitted in the last hours of before publication in 'mein kempf' that mentioned banning smoking in multi unit dwellings. The editor felt it would be better suited in Mein Kempf Part Deux.

It's pretty well known that Hitler detested smoking.

I am not listening to anyone person. Carmona's claims are based on the EPA's 1993 study which contains the flaws I have noted. You two can keep cackling about sources all you like but you cannot change the fact that an interview is not a reliable basis for a study of this sort and you have not even bothered to challenge that. You just throw out ad homs.

And since you know the government is always the best source of information and science I am sure you will both agree with Petraeus and further the info given in the lead up to the war.

I don't doubt that throughout the history of second hand smoke studies there were studies on second hand smoke that were conducted unscientifically. However I referenced studies which referenced markers found in urine that are known carcinogens. Just because you can find some studies that may have been bogus doesn't discredit the facts and the general consensus in the medical community.

Secondly, its not just the surgeon general. Researchers outside the US gov't have come to the same conclusion. Again. I'll take their conclusions over yours and Gio's.

I just hope your children don't fall victim to your extreme libertarianism.

I don't doubt that throughout the history of second hand smoke studies there were studies on second hand smoke that were conducted unscientifically. However I referenced studies which referenced markers found in urine that are known carcinogens. Just because you can find some studies that may have been bogus doesn't discredit the facts and the general consensus in the medical community.

Secondly, its not just the surgeon general. Researchers outside the US gov't have come to the same conclusion. Again. I'll take their conclusions over yours and Gio's.

What? This Again?

Both the U.S. Surgeon General, and the World Health Organization have identified second hand smoke as a potential carcinogen.

Umm they are carcinogens, so what? Apparently you don't know that these carcinogens are found in eggplant. Better call the cops next the neighbor starts cooking some. There were no conclusions in these other studies concerning risks. This is why I asked about the levels of the markers found, what are normal levels for smokers, etc. Not much to go on their.

Carmona's comments are based on the EPA report of 1993 and that is not even disputed.

What? This Again?

Both the U.S. Surgeon General, and the World Health Organization have identified second hand smoke as a potential carcinogen.

Both based on the 1993 EPA study which suffers the problems I mentioned. Try again, or maybe actually address the points presented.

What? This Again?

Lady T:

US Environmental Protection Agency also identifies second hand smoke as a carcinogen:

"Secondhand smoke has been classified by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) as a known cause of cancer in humans (Group A carcinogen)."

I'm with you LadyT....I'm going with the experts.

Further, the 93 epa study was a metastudy. So we have a bunch of study all based on one another and they amazingly say the same things (well not really, the studies referenced in the EPA's metastudy were all over the map). Wow!

lol, your hillarious cypress. Maybe you should have waited a second or actually bothered to read what others are saying.

Exposure to second-hand tobacco smoke increases the risk of developing lung cancer, international experts have said.

A working group from the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), which is part of the World Health Organization, examined all of the major studies looking at smoking and cancer.

After a five-day meeting in Lyons, France, this week, they suggested non-smokers who are exposed to second-hand smoke are between 20% and 30% more likely to develop lung cancer.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2053840.stm

Back