New way to finance college

No this a sign that capitalists are desperate for places to invest again.

I disagree. Particularly in west coast cities, you find some extremely creative business minds these days. When I was in college, business students were always dreaming up the most bizarre models for establishing some new LLC, even at simple enterprises such as coffee stands. My creativity begins and ends with writing, so these kids always just struck me as eccentric or simply trying to impress a professor or girlfriend/boyfriend.

That being said, I do think this enterprise will be very selective. Investors will only want to put money into business students, artistic prodigies, or certified geniuses.

That being said, I do think this enterprise will be very selective. Investors will only want to put money into business students, artistic prodigies, or certified geniuses.

or they will be forced to give it to people who dont really qualify for it for political considerations. Just like student loans :)

That is a great point. I can't imagine someone wanting to invest in a student who majors in African American studies. And yes I picked that on purpose so the race hustlers would scream RACIST RACIST RACIST.

Or Women Studies or any other bullshit major that yields little to no job prospects.

My guess is they will want to invest in people going into healthcare etc. The risk for other majors will be too high leading to higher than necessary interest payments to justify the investment.

It is ashamed that people have such a lack of understanding of finance and economics. We don't need some new bullshit scam for "financing college". Get the government out of education and the free market will exercise its will. Prices will come down.

It is always amazing that our liberal friends who call for "price controls" for things like oil and medication never utter a peep about price controls for college education. Why is that?

Here is a thought, why not let the federal government negotiate lower prices for a college education?

That is a great point. I can't imagine someone wanting to invest in a student who majors in African American studies. And yes I picked that on purpose so the race hustlers would scream RACIST RACIST RACIST.

Or Women Studies or any other bullshit major that yields little to no job prospects.

My guess is they will want to invest in people going into healthcare etc. The risk for other majors will be too high leading to higher than necessary interest payments to justify the investment.

It is ashamed that people have such a lack of understanding of finance and economics. We don't need some new bullshit scam for "financing college". Get the government out of education and the free market will exercise its will. Prices will come down.

It is always amazing that our liberal friends who call for "price controls" for things like oil and medication never utter a peep about price controls for college education. Why is that?

Here is a thought, why not let the federal government negotiate lower prices for a college education?

Get serious. You are such a brilliant economist but don't understand that college is one of the barriers erected by the wealthy to keep the masses out of the river of wealth?

Both sides are equally evil in this regard.

Get serious. You are such a brilliant economist but don't understand that college is one of the barriers erected by the wealthy to keep the masses out of the river of wealth?

its a supply and demand thing. If the prices stay where they are at and there is no govt involved then not enough people would go to the schools and they would be forced the lower prices.

So it is the banks, not the federal gov't, that decided to get the gov't so heavily involved in student lending? That's a new take
Clearly, you don't know enough about this subject to discuss it. Stick to copy/paste if it makes you feel better.

its a supply and demand thing. If the prices stay where they are at and there is no govt involved then not enough people would go to the schools and they would be forced the lower prices.

This reply has nothing to do with what I said.

Cuomo is funneling money to the industry in NY. Hospitals are now required to have 80% of nurses with a bachelor's degree in order to get accreditation. So...nurses in the industry for 20 years must now go to school, or take online courses just to get hired. Thousands of wasted dollars to take courses that have nothing to do with the medical field.

Clearly, you don't know enough about this subject to discuss it. Stick to copy/paste if it makes you feel better.

I understand the issue quite fine. Pretty clearly you don't if you think it's banks not the government that determines these loans.

It means there is too large an accumulation of capital, intetest rates are too low and capitalists are desperate for good investments.

When are capitalists never "desperate" for good investments?

So your argument is this is not a space the private market should be looking at.

Back