Now Obama Slaps the Gay Community with Rick Warren

blackascoal

The Force is With Me
Now Obama Slaps Women and Gays with Rick Warren

Rick Warren, Obama Invocation Choice, Causing First Real Rift With Progressives

On Wednesday, the transition team and Joint Congressional Committee on Inaugural Ceremonies announced that Rick Warren, pastor of the powerful Saddleback Church, would give the invocation on January 20th. The selection may not have been incredibly surprising. Obama and Warren are reportedly close -- Obama praised the Megachurch leader in his second book "The Audacity of Hope." Warren, meanwhile, hosted a values forum between Obama and McCain during the general election. Nevertheless, the announcement is being greeted with deep skepticism in progressive religious and political circles.

"My blood pressure is really high right now," said Rev. Chuck Currie, minister at Parkrose Community United Church of Christ in Portland, Oregon. "Rick Warren does some really good stuff and there are some areas that I have admired his ability to build bridges between evangelicals and mainline religious and political figures... but he is also very established in the religious right and his position on social issues like gay rights, stem cell research and women's rights are all out of the mainstream and are very much opposed to the progressive agenda that Obama ran on. I think that he is very much the wrong person to put on the stage with the president that day."

Warren does have a rather peculiar relationship with the incoming president. The two share a general ethos that political differences should not serve as impediments to progress. On topics like AIDS and poverty relief, they see eye-to-eye. But Warren's domestic and social agendas are at odds with Obama's. And for the gay and lesbian community in particular, the choice is a bitter pill to swallow.

"Pastor Warren, while enjoying a reputation as a moderate based on his affable personality and his church's engagement on issues like AIDS in Africa, has said that the real difference between James Dobson and himself is one of tone rather than substance," read a statement from People For the American Way President Kathryn Kolbert. "He has repeated the Religious Right's big lie that supporters of equality for gay Americans are out to silence pastors. He has called Christians who advance a social gospel Marxists. He is adamantly opposed to women having a legal right to choose an abortion."

"Picking Rick Warren to give THE invocation," wrote John Aravosis on AmericaBlog, "is abominable."

"Let me get right to the point," Joe Solomnese, the president of the Human Rights Campaign, said in a harsh letter to the president-elect, "Your invitation to Reverend Rick Warren to deliver the invocation at your inauguration is a genuine blow to LGBT Americans."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/12/17/rick-warren-obama-invocat_n_151877.html

DAMN

Many who ran out and stood in long lines to support this guy must be feeling pretty used by now.

Last edited:
My first reaction to this was to have an unpleasant feeling. I see through Warren's whole "look at me the affable fat guy dunce, nothing to fear here" act. I know what he is.

But rationally, in my head, I know that the Obama team just said, yesterday, that they will be overturning, immediately upon entering office, the Bush-issued fiats on abortion rights.

Now, Warren is 100% anti-choice. So if I were to react emotionaly to this, I'd have to say, OMG, this means that Obama is going to cave on choice. But he's not.

So my question is, if Obama overturns dont' ask don't tell in his first year, does it really make a difference that Rick Warren was at his inauguration?

I don't think so. Let's not forget that for years we have gotten platitudes, but no policy change. What if this time, they get the platitudes, and we get the policy changes? Policy is what I care about, and at this time, he's not in office yet.

I'll still wait.

Rick Warren, the man who wants to ban all abortions, thinks Obama supports a holocaust, who compared gay marriage to pedophilia and incest, and helped lead the fight for Prop 8 in California, and who says he agrees with everything right-wing nutcase James Dobson believes.

Damn .. Obama just doesn't like you people (those who voted for him)

My first reaction to this was to have an unpleasant feeling. I see through Warren's whole "look at me the affable fat guy dunce, nothing to fear here" act. I know what he is.

But rationally, in my head, I know that the Obama team just said, yesterday, that they will be overturning, immediately upon entering office, the Bush-issued fiats on abortion rights.

Now, Warren is 100% anti-choice. So if I were to react emotionaly to this, I'd have to say, OMG, this means that Obama is going to cave on choice. But he's not.

So my question is, if Obama overturns dont' ask don't tell in his first year, does it really make a difference that Rick Warren was at his inauguration?

I don't think so. Let's not forget that for years we have gotten platitudes, but no policy change. What if this time, they get the platitudes, and we get the policy changes? Policy is what I care about, and at this time, he's not in office yet.

I'll still wait.

If you would research New Age Theocracy you would understand Rick Warren. But you only believe me after things happen. Try something different this time.

I'll still wait.

What about gays?

Warren equates them to pedophilles.

What will the messiah do to appease them?

I have never in my life seen a politician who has so turned on those who supported him as suddenly and unquestionably as Obama.

What about gays?

Warren equates them to pedophilles.

What will the messiah do to appease them?

I have never in my life seen a politician who has so turned on those who supported him as suddenly and unquestionably as Obama.

Well, that is why I asked that if Obama were to overturn don't ask don't tell, and allow gays to openly serve in the military, in his first year, woud Rick Warren really matter? I don't think so.

I understand that a good case can be made that it does matter. The man is a bigot.

But my feelings on it aren't about Obama, there about me. I've changed over the years. I just really don't care to fight every single idiot in my own family, no less in the country. I'd rather just nod my head, smile, and then go ahead and do what's right anyway. So if Obama has this guy there, and then overturns the Bush anti-choice laws that bush is still, today, putting into place, and then overturns don't ask don't tell, that's good for me.

If he doesn't do those things, then it's time for a change in position. But I think he will. I know he's going to protect choice. I think he'll change don't ask don't tell. I feel, hey, let's see what happens when he gets into office.

Do I like this? No. But I like don't ask don't tell even less.

Well, that is why I asked that if Obama were to overturn don't ask don't tell, and allow gays to openly serve in the military, in his first year, woud Rick Warren really matter? I don't think so.
That's a big if. Obama will never take sides. He will rely on the inherent nature of sheep to ignore contradictions in their CHOSEN ONE's actions.
I understand that a good case can be made that it does matter. The man is a bigot.

But my feelings on it aren't about Obama, there about me. I've changed over the years. I just really don't care to fight every single idiot in my own family, no less in the country. I'd rather just nod my head, smile, and then go ahead and do what's right anyway. So if Obama has this guy there, and then overturns the Bush anti-choice laws that bush is still, today, putting into place, and then overturns don't ask don't tell, that's good for me.

If he doesn't do those things, then it's time for a change in position.
Meaning you'll bend over further?
But I think he will. I know he's going to protect choice. I think he'll change don't ask don't tell. I feel, hey, let's see what happens when he gets into office.

Abortion is too costly for the war machine. We need boots on the ground, preferably poor people with no options.

I'll still wait.

If Obama starts using military and federal agents to raid small towns in Pennsylvania killing men, women and children, then i'm sure that there will be a sound reasonable policy behind it.

I'll still wait.

Some people will just remain blind and ignorant I guess.

If he doesn't do those things, then it's time for a change in position. But I think he will. I know he's going to protect choice. I think he'll change don't ask don't tell. I feel, hey, let's see what happens when he gets into office.

I think everything he said he plans to do is suspect. Not sure what he truly believes in other than him being president.

Rick Warren, Obama Invocation Choice, Causing First Real Rift With Progressives

On Wednesday, the transition team and Joint Congressional Committee on Inaugural Ceremonies announced that Rick Warren, pastor of the powerful Saddleback Church, would give the invocation on January 20th. The selection may not have been incredibly surprising. Obama and Warren are reportedly close -- Obama praised the Megachurch leader in his second book "The Audacity of Hope." Warren, meanwhile, hosted a values forum between Obama and McCain during the general election. Nevertheless, the announcement is being greeted with deep skepticism in progressive religious and political circles.

"My blood pressure is really high right now," said Rev. Chuck Currie, minister at Parkrose Community United Church of Christ in Portland, Oregon. "Rick Warren does some really good stuff and there are some areas that I have admired his ability to build bridges between evangelicals and mainline religious and political figures... but he is also very established in the religious right and his position on social issues like gay rights, stem cell research and women's rights are all out of the mainstream and are very much opposed to the progressive agenda that Obama ran on. I think that he is very much the wrong person to put on the stage with the president that day."

Warren does have a rather peculiar relationship with the incoming president. The two share a general ethos that political differences should not serve as impediments to progress. On topics like AIDS and poverty relief, they see eye-to-eye. But Warren's domestic and social agendas are at odds with Obama's. And for the gay and lesbian community in particular, the choice is a bitter pill to swallow.

"Pastor Warren, while enjoying a reputation as a moderate based on his affable personality and his church's engagement on issues like AIDS in Africa, has said that the real difference between James Dobson and himself is one of tone rather than substance," read a statement from People For the American Way President Kathryn Kolbert. "He has repeated the Religious Right's big lie that supporters of equality for gay Americans are out to silence pastors. He has called Christians who advance a social gospel Marxists. He is adamantly opposed to women having a legal right to choose an abortion."

"Picking Rick Warren to give THE invocation," wrote John Aravosis on AmericaBlog, "is abominable."

"Let me get right to the point," Joe Solomnese, the president of the Human Rights Campaign, said in a harsh letter to the president-elect, "Your invitation to Reverend Rick Warren to deliver the invocation at your inauguration is a genuine blow to LGBT Americans."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/12/17/rick-warren-obama-invocat_n_151877.html

DAMN

Many who ran out and stood in long lines to support this guy must be feeling pretty used by now.

Obama wasn't elected to represent only progresive liberals. Wether you accept it or not setting the tone is important in political discourse. Good people can disagree and reaching out to those you disagree with is vitally important to governing affectively.

If Obama was a progressive ideologue, which he is not, I wouldn't have voted for him as such a President would certainly be as bad as Bush.

Not to defend Obama but I do want to make a point. Obama has said that he will hire people with different views then him but bottom line is he is the boss. I think we are just assuming that Obama will be a puppet just like Bush was versus past presidents that actually were the commander and chief decision makers.

Not to defend Obama but I do want to make a point. Obama has said that he will hire people with different views then him but bottom line is he is the boss. I think we are just assuming that Obama will be a puppet just like Bush was versus past presidents that actually were the commander and chief decision makers.

Which president most recently was a "commander and chief decision maker", and NOT a puppet?

"Many who ran out and stood in long lines to support this guy must be feeling pretty used by now."

Only complete idiots, if Obama praised the guy in "Audacity of Hope." How is this a turnabout?

What's next, BAC? Will he blow his nose in a way that doesn't sit well with you?

Back