Obama disagrees with high court on child rape case

Socrtease

Verified User
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080625...rape_case_3;_ylt=Amczn.VOs5mbqajim5vRoTQb.3QA

CHICAGO - Democrat Barack Obama said Wednesday he disagrees with the Supreme Court's decision outlawing executions of child rapists.

"I have said repeatedly that I think that the death penalty should be applied in very narrow circumstances for the most egregious of crimes," Obama said at a news conference. "I think that the rape of a small child, 6 or 8 years old, is a heinous crime and if a state makes a decision that under narrow, limited, well-defined circumstances the death penalty is at least potentially applicable that that does not violate our Constitution."

The court's 5-4 decision Wednesday struck down a Louisiana law that allows capital punishment for people convicted of raping children under 12, saying it violates the Constitution's ban on cruel and unusual punishment.

The ruling spares the only people in the U.S. under sentence of death for that crime — two Louisiana men convicted of raping girls 5 and 8. It also invalidates laws on the books in five other states that allowed executions for child rape that does not result in the death of the victim.

Obama said that had the court "said we want to constrain the abilities of states to do this to make sure that it's done in a careful and appropriate way, that would have been one thing. But it basically had a blanket prohibition and I disagree with that decision."

Obama has long supported the death penalty while criticizing the way it is sometimes applied.

As an Illinois legislator, he helped rewrite the state's death penalty system to guard against innocent people being sentenced to die. The new safeguards included requiring police to videotape interrogations and giving the state Supreme Court more power to overturn unjust decisions.

He also opposed legislation making it easier to impose the death penalty for murders committed as part of gang activity. Obama argued the language was too vague and could be abused by authorities.

But Obama has never rejected the death penalty entirely. He supported death sentences for killing volunteers in community policing programs and for particularly cruel murders of elderly people.

"While the evidence tells me that the death penalty does little to deter crime, I believe there are some crimes — mass murder, the rape and murder of a child — so heinous, so beyond the pale, that the community is justified in expressing the full measure of its outrage by meting out the ultimate punishment," he wrote in his book "The Audacity of Hope."

Darn! this is a bad as McCain disagreeing with the supremes decision on the Gitmo detainees getting trials?

Darn! this is a bad as McCain disagreeing with the supremes decision on the Gitmo detainees getting trials?

Nah. I am personally against the death penality, 1) for how it's applied, and 2) no one has a right to take a life, in my opinion

But...I don't really give a rat's ass if they fry the guy who rapes and murders a three year old, or decapitates a 6 year old, or tricks a 7 year old into his house with a puppy story and rapes and strangles her, or, buries a 9 year old alive.

Fuck it. If they reserved the death penality for only cases like this, I don't know that I'd even be against it. I think I wouldn't really feel comfortable with it, but I'd rarely think about it because I just wouldn't give a shit.

I have no real problem with the death penalty now if DNA evidence and all bases are covered. Some people are wastes of skin and do not deserve to live. And they are not all in government either.

Nah. I am personally against the death penality, 1) for how it's applied, and 2) no one has a right to take a life, in my opinion

But...I don't really give a rat's ass if they fry the guy who rapes and murders a three year old, or decapitates a 6 year old, or tricks a 7 year old into his house with a puppy story and rapes and strangles her, or, buries a 9 year old alive.

Fuck it. If they reserved the death penality for only cases like this, I don't know that I'd even be against it. I think I wouldn't really feel comfortable with it, but I'd rarely think about it because I just wouldn't give a shit.

That's my view on it, too. But I try to care more about the issue because it is an injustice and I know I would feel differently if I were affected by a wrongful death sentence.

I know how irritated I get about public apathy over the cost of the Drug War, so I imagine anti-death penalty activists have similar feelings.

I agree so long as with respect to the death penalty we go for "NO doubt", as opposed to the "reasonable doubt" required for conviction. There should be irrefutable forensic evidence to prove beyond any doubt that the person convicted really did it. That hurdle overcome, fry the bastard.

The whole premise of declaring war on our own people bothers me more than the cost of the drug war.

The "cost" is in ruined human lives. The lives of good people who never wished harm on anyone.

Any other material or monetaristic cost is secondary.

That's my view on it, too. But I try to care more about the issue because it is an injustice and I know I would feel differently if I were affected by a wrongful death sentence.

I know how irritated I get about public apathy over the cost of the Drug War, so I imagine anti-death penalty activists have similar feelings.

Well, as it stands, I do care about it. I'm just saying, if it changed, and was reserved only for the murderers of children, I just couldn't get excited over it you know? I mean, burying a 9 year old alive? And these guys, if you look closely at the cases, they have dna evidence, and they have confessions, videotapes, priors, these guys are freaks epic.

I agree so long as with respect to the death penalty we go for "NO doubt", as opposed to the "reasonable doubt" required for conviction. There should be irrefutable forensic evidence to prove beyond any doubt that the person convicted really did it. That hurdle overcome, fry the bastard.

That's an excellent addition Thorn. I agree.

Well, as it stands, I do care about it. I'm just saying, if it changed, and was reserved only for the murderers of children, I just couldn't get excited over it you know? I mean, burying a 9 year old alive? And these guys, if you look closely at the cases, they have dna evidence, and they have confessions, videotapes, priors, these guys are freaks epic.

I agree. It's hard to muster the energy to argue in their defense. It's just dangerous territory granting the state the power to execute its citizens.

There is no single greater injustice than to deprive an individual of his life. My objection is primarily to the state doing it.

Last edited:
This should apply to killing those in other countries as well by US governmental action.
All other options should be examined and guilt should be certain.
Now once the actions starts for valid reasons there will be innocents killed of course I am not speaking of trying every single person in Iraq for instance. Just for being sure the reason for war is fully justified.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080625...rape_case_3;_ylt=Amczn.VOs5mbqajim5vRoTQb.3QA

CHICAGO - Democrat Barack Obama said Wednesday he disagrees with the Supreme Court's decision outlawing executions of child rapists.

"I have said repeatedly that I think that the death penalty should be applied in very narrow circumstances for the most egregious of crimes," Obama said at a news conference. "I think that the rape of a small child, 6 or 8 years old, is a heinous crime and if a state makes a decision that under narrow, limited, well-defined circumstances the death penalty is at least potentially applicable that that does not violate our Constitution."

The court's 5-4 decision Wednesday struck down a Louisiana law that allows capital punishment for people convicted of raping children under 12, saying it violates the Constitution's ban on cruel and unusual punishment.

The ruling spares the only people in the U.S. under sentence of death for that crime — two Louisiana men convicted of raping girls 5 and 8. It also invalidates laws on the books in five other states that allowed executions for child rape that does not result in the death of the victim.

Obama said that had the court "said we want to constrain the abilities of states to do this to make sure that it's done in a careful and appropriate way, that would have been one thing. But it basically had a blanket prohibition and I disagree with that decision."

Obama has long supported the death penalty while criticizing the way it is sometimes applied.

As an Illinois legislator, he helped rewrite the state's death penalty system to guard against innocent people being sentenced to die. The new safeguards included requiring police to videotape interrogations and giving the state Supreme Court more power to overturn unjust decisions.

He also opposed legislation making it easier to impose the death penalty for murders committed as part of gang activity. Obama argued the language was too vague and could be abused by authorities.

But Obama has never rejected the death penalty entirely. He supported death sentences for killing volunteers in community policing programs and for particularly cruel murders of elderly people.

"While the evidence tells me that the death penalty does little to deter crime, I believe there are some crimes — mass murder, the rape and murder of a child — so heinous, so beyond the pale, that the community is justified in expressing the full measure of its outrage by meting out the ultimate punishment," he wrote in his book "The Audacity of Hope."

The death penalty is like totally wicked.

Yes they are freaks epic IE insane. Why do you want to execute insane people?

Oh yeah. I just pwn3d you.

noob.jpg

Seriously there is a huge correlation between insanity/IQ and certain things, like being a criminal, being a death penalty advocate, and being a Republican.

Fuck the Supreme Court. Do they honestly think the founding fathers would consider executing child rapists "cruel and unusual" punishment? What bullshit. Something tells me if THEIR kids got raped, they'd feel very differently. I hope they all choke on sausages and die.

A dumb hypocrisy argument.

I assure you, no one with half a brain thinks they get their child back because they kill someone. Only a barbarian like you and Mr. Kennedy think like that.

Oh, I fully support the idea of parental involvement in executions. If the father (or mother) of a child-rape victim wants to carry out the execution with their own hands, I think they should be permitted. And they should have access to whatever "instruments" they deem necessary, i.e. power tools, ropes, etc. :) :) :)

Oh, I fully support the idea of parental involvement in executions. If the father (or mother) of a child-rape victim wants to carry out the execution with their own hands, I think they should be permitted. And they should have access to whatever "instruments" they deem necessary, i.e. power tools, ropes, etc. :) :) :)

Uhmmm, yeah.

Back