Obama... don't make me say McCain was right

Cancel 2016.2

The Almighty
http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/09/04/obama-surge-succeeded-beyond-wildest-dreams/

"The troop surge in Iraq has been more successful than anyone could have imagined, Barack Obama conceded Thursday in his first-ever interview on FOX News’ “The O’Reilly Factor.”

As recently as July, the Democratic presidential candidate declined to rate the surge a success, but said it had helped reduce violence in the country. On Thursday, Obama acknowledged the 2007 increase in U.S. troops has benefited the Iraqi people.

“I think that the surge has succeeded in ways that nobody anticipated,” Obama said while refusing to retract his initial opposition to the surge. “I’ve already said it’s succeeded beyond our wildest dreams.”"

To translate the bolded portion....

"The troop surge has been more successful than anyone could have imagined, well except for my opponent John McCain who said it would indeed work, but since he is my opponent I will pretend that no one could have predicted success of the surge given that I predicted it would actually hurt the Iraqi people and the war effort. Well hell, I just have to hope no one notices"

LOL. Nobody could imagine it except for all of the people who have been saying for years that we need to increase the level of the troops to provide actual security so we can get the hell out of there faster.... I wonder who that might be?

See? It's never enough for you guys. This is such BS, Freak, and it's the reason politicians - ALL politicians - speak as they do.

He said it was "more successful than anyone could have imagined." What the fuck more do you want? He also elaborated - & this is something I agree with -that the goal posts for "success" on the surge changed, and that the argument has always been that military success cannot substitute for political success.

It's just never enough; where is McCain's admission that he was wrong to support invasion, and that Obama was right?

See? It's never enough for you guys. This is such BS, Freak, and it's the reason politicians - ALL politicians - speak as they do.

He said it was "more successful than anyone could have imagined." What the fuck more do you want? He also elaborated - & this is something I agree with -that the goal posts for "success" on the surge changed, and that the argument has always been that military success cannot substitute for political success.

It's just never enough; where is McCain's admission that he was wrong to support invasion, and that Obama was right?
Except there were people who imagined it. Even among people who didn't support the invasion.

But don't you get it?

McCain is never going to acknowledge failure or support positions Obama takes .. that is not how it's done and there is a reason why democrats can't win presidential elections.

He said that shit on Fox News !!!!!!!!

Except there were people who imagined it. Even among people who didn't support the invasion.

And his words are tipping the hat to those people; he's not taking credit.

You guys are complete bullshit. With a few rare exceptions, where have I seen you take McCain or any Republican to task for not only admitting that something was a failure, but taking that "extra step" to say "my opponents on this were right, and I was wrong." It doesn't happen, and you guys could care less, because the vast majority of mistakes or successes not named "surge" have been on your side of the 8 ball for 8 years now.

Now, here's Obama, pissing off people like BAC - who I think probably represents quite a few - by conceding that it was hugely successful, and at best, it merits a mocking post from Superhack, with the obligatory LOL from his boyfriend.

But don't you get it?

McCain is never going to acknowledge failure or support positions Obama takes .. that is not how it's done and there is a reason why democrats can't win presidential elections.

He said that shit on Fox News !!!!!!!!

I actually have to agree with bac on this.

LOL. Nobody could imagine it except for all of the people who have been saying for years that we need to increase the level of the troops to provide actual security so we can get the hell out of there faster.... I wonder who that might be?

The surge and the soldiers are awesome, but let's be honest here, so is the payoffs to the Sunni triangle and the truce with Al Sadr...

More troops have always been needed, but let's also look at the other factors in play here.

And his words are tipping the hat to those people; he's not taking credit.

You guys are complete bullshit. With a few rare exceptions, where have I seen you take McCain or any Republican to task for not only admitting that something was a failure, but taking that "extra step" to say "my opponents on this were right, and I was wrong." It doesn't happen, and you guys could care less, because the vast majority of mistakes or successes not named "surge" have been on your side of the 8 ball for 8 years now.

Now, here's Obama, pissing off people like BAC - who I think probably represents quite a few - by conceding that it was hugely successful, and at best, it merits a mocking post from Superhack, with the obligatory LOL from his boyfriend.
No, he attempted to make me disappear. That isn't "tipping his hat". I've said from the beginning that first we shouldn't go, then when we did I have pointed out every wrong move. Including disbanding the army, going in with a fast attack. Focusing on cities rather than secure territories, too few soldiers, ignoring security at the beginning of occupation, ignoring the importance of protecting national treasures over fearing the burning of oil wells.... for years and years I have "imagined" that a surge would benefit both the Iraqis and ourselves.

"Nobody could have imagined it" Unless he thinks my name is nobody, then he is simply incorrect.

And yes, this is some "yaay, I was right" from me.

LMAO... right... people DID imagine that it could do exactly as it has done. the bar hasn't changed... it is not a total success yet... the Iraqi government still has work to do. But now you have all three sects working together again. You have more precincts being taken over by the Iraqi security forces. There is obviously still a lot to be done. But nothing that has been accomplished by the surge was unexpected. It was predicted.

As for McCains position on the war... as you know I think it was inevitable that we go. While I did not like the timing of it as it could have easily waited until after Afghanistan, I do not hold those who voted to go to war as being wrong just because Bush fucked it all up. I know you will see this as some sort of excuse or copout... but other than the timing, I don't think it was a mistake to vote for it.

No, he attempted to make me disappear.

"Nobody could have imagined it" Unless he thinks my name is nobody, then he is simply incorrect.

Pretty damned nitpicky. It's a turn of phrase; haven't even Repubilcans said that it has exceeded expectations, particularly regarding security & the level of violence?

The surge and the soldiers are awesome, but let's be honest here, so is the payoffs to the Sunni triangle and the truce with Al Sadr...

More troops have always been needed, but let's also look at the other factors in play here.
All of that is part of it. "We" (read Bush) were too stupid to recognize that we needed local help, disbanding the army was the stupidest move ever. Then not directly speaking with Al Sadr. Geez. There is so much....

"As for McCains position on the war... as you know I think it was inevitable that we go. While I did not like the timing of it as it could have easily waited until after Afghanistan, I do not hold those who voted to go to war as being wrong just because Bush fucked it all up. I know you will see this as some sort of excuse or copout... but other than the timing, I don't think it was a mistake to vote for it."

See how hard it is for you? You'd never be able to swing what Obama did yesterday. NEVER. We disagree about inevitability, and could argue about that from here to Sunday, but let's say I accept that. You would only go so far as to say that the you "did not like the timing?"

The timing was fucked. Completely fucked. Admit it.

All of that is part of it. "We" (read Bush) were too stupid to recognize that we needed local help, disbanding the army was the stupidest move ever. Then not directly speaking with Al Sadr. Geez. There is so much....

Yeah, there is so much, so let’s keep it simple: Bush lied. No Wmd’s. Over a million people dead, many in their youths, for nothing. And you and SF want to watch Obama crawl, when the people who should be crawling for forgiveness, to GOD, are you, he, and John McCain.
The surge worked? That is obscene.

Pretty damned nitpicky. It's a turn of phrase; haven't even Repubilcans said that it has exceeded expectations, particularly regarding security & the level of violence?
It isn't nitpicky. It is self-congratulatory, yes, but not nitpicky.

Years and years I have spoken of this, then when it happens this guy says that "nobody could have imagined it" all because he doesn't want to suggest that his opponent did. That isn't a "nod" in my direction....

At least he does admit that the surge has benefited those people. That is something.

My nephew was in charge at Haditha at one time. I wish I could get him on this forum. He is at Fort Sill teaching right now. He will probably be going to Afghanistan sometime next year. He is an amazing young man who cherished his men and listened when he came on as a greenie. My sister says his sense of humor has saved him, but he still can't sleep soundly.

Yeah, there is so much, so let’s keep it simple: Bush lied. No Wmd’s. Over a million people dead, many in their youths, for nothing. And you and SF want to watch Obama crawl, when the people who should be crawling for forgiveness, to GOD, are you, he, and John McCain.
The surge worked? That is obscene.
I have no need to crawl on my knees to God, I never supported the invasion. Recklessly assuming a position is the "projecting" that you earlier attempted to suggest only republicans do.

It isn't nitpicky. It is self-congratulatory, yes, but not nitpicky.

Years and years I have spoken of this, then when it happens this guy says that "nobody could have imagined it" all because he doesn't want to suggest that his opponent did. That isn't a "nod" in my direction....

At least he does admit that the surge has benefited those people. That is something.

Pretty arrogant, Damo. I'm pretty sure that Obama was referring to his colleagues in Congress, and not to this board & some poster named "Damocles."

What a fucking idiot you are.

I have no need to crawl on my knees to God, I never supported the invasion. Recklessly assuming a position is the "projecting" that you earlier attempted to suggest only republicans do.

Have you taken McCain to task for not admitting he was wrong, or that Obama was right?

Back