On being a blank slate and "free will"

Yes, we have instincts and we have habits and patterns - habits and patterns are what I would say it means to be "in character" for each person. We notice when people behave out of character - like Will Smith.

As far as rising above it all/doing something different goes.... what is an example of what you're saying?

somewhat quitting an addiction.

someone exitting an abusive relationship.

choosing to not elect the same fascist candidates of the same uniparty machine.

:) We may have a different understanding of 'Free Will'. Maybe mine is a more pedestrian view.
free will

the power of acting without the constraint of necessity or fate; the ability to act at one's own discretion.

somewhat quitting an addiction.

someone exitting an abusive relationship.

choosing to not elect the same fascist candidates of the same uniparty machine.

Are you under the assumption that you need free will to exit a relationship, quit drugs, etc? If you are, then you're not understanding what I'm saying. In fact, the impacts of an abusive relationship or addiction are precisely the outside influences that impact your thoughts and can lead to change.

:) We may have a different understanding of 'Free Will'. Maybe mine is a more pedestrian view.

Some people/philosophers would say that you have free will as long as you're free from outside forces. So, nobody is pointing a gun at your head and telling you to do something you wouldn't normally do.

I think that is too broad and misses the details we've been talking about.

Are you under the assumption that you need free will to exit a relationship, quit drugs, etc? If you are, then you're not understanding what I'm saying. In fact, the impacts of an abusive relationship or addiction are precisely the outside influences that impact your thoughts and can lead to change.

it helps.

I think you're not understanding, quite frankly.

let's just agree to disagree.

you don't believe in free will, everyone else does. fine.

Some people/philosophers would say that you have free will as long as you're free from outside forces. So, nobody is pointing a gun at your head and telling you to do something you wouldn't normally do.

I think that is too broad and misses the details we've been talking about.

It was an interesting conversation. I'm aware of the 'Fight or Flight' reaction that may take place instantaneously. There's probably a theoretical argument that proves your point.
It might be above my PayGrade. :(

Nice talking to you. It was fun.

what's a constraint of fate?

It all goes back to the terminator.
Restricting free will. My point is it takes courage to have free will. Look what happened when people refused to wear a mask or get a vaccine. Society is out of control, they don't want anyone to have free will.

Restricting free will. My point is it takes courage to have free will. Look what happened when people refused to wear a mask or get a vaccine. Society is out of control, they don't want anyone to have free will.

They don't want us to use it.

but we do have it.

They don't want us to use it.

but we do have it.
The US government wants a social credit system and they want everyone to be their snitch. There's no pushback on mass surveillance because people like the false sense of security.

Making choices doesn't require free will.

Back