PAC 12 Exploding

Big 10 won’t take Stanford, last thing they want is another prestigious private school, they’d flush NorthWestern given the chance just as the SEC would dump Vanderbilt. Being all about money, and how to maximize profits doesn’t fit the character of those institutions.

I read Washington and Oregon were the next target, California not bring much in terms of TV markets that they already have with USC/UCLA. Still the end of West Coast football

I'm copying a post from our home board regarding Stanford, Cal, Oregon St and Washington St. It's relevant to your point about Stanford and the thought that they don't care about money:

"I disagree with Stanford is not serious about athletics. They invest major endowments and scholarships in it across all sports. Their not football-revenue only because, well, they don't need to be. Their fans just don't live and die by sports like others. The University's ID is not tied up in it like a majority are. But their AD supports it. Their money backs it. They have the titles to prove it.

Now take all that and apply to Cal and reverse it.

Oregon St. and Wazzu care, they are just small market and will never be unless they get an Oregon alumni injection like Phil Knight in their lives."

College sports will not run properly in a democracy.

It requires some authoritarian czar to restore the traditional conferences
as well as the principles of amateurism and academics.

It's fading badly in this area, and even high school football is having a hard time
getting permission slips from parents anymore.
Most of the Pop Warner programs have even folded.

It would take a new Big East to get me interested again, and that's not going to happen.

Army
Boston College
Buffalo
Connecticut
Maryland
Massachusetts
Navy
Penn State
Pittsburgh
Rutgers
Syracuse
Temple

Play an 11 game round robin and screw everybody else.
I actually might have watched that.

You don't think Stanford wants to maximize profit? Like any (elite) University, Stanford is ALL about the money. In their case athletics may not be the number one driver of it but they certainly care about it.

They are not going to go to ends that other state schools are to maximize profits, ain’t going to see multiple seven figure salaries to potential athletes, wouldn’t be their priority

I'm copying a post from our home board regarding Stanford, Cal, Oregon St and Washington St. It's relevant to your point about Stanford and the thought that they don't care about money:

"I disagree with Stanford is not serious about athletics. They invest major endowments and scholarships in it across all sports. Their not football-revenue only because, well, they don't need to be. Their fans just don't live and die by sports like others. The University's ID is not tied up in it like a majority are. But their AD supports it. Their money backs it. They have the titles to prove it.

Now take all that and apply to Cal and reverse it.

Oregon St. and Wazzu care, they are just small market and will never be unless they get an Oregon alumni injection like Phil Knight in their lives."

Had to prove it, and I’m just passing on what I read, if the league were to expand further they would want to give USC/UCLA traditional rivals

They are not going to go to ends that other state schools are to maximize profits, ain’t going to see multiple seven figure salaries to potential athletes, wouldn’t be their priority

Stanford has a $36 billion endowment. They don't need football the same way other schools do. But it doesn't mean they don't care at all, look at the money they have put into their facilities. They sell their academic excellence instead of dropping bags.

Let's face the facts. College football and even Basketball are now professional Sports leagues!

I don't think there is any way to deny this anymore!

I think we'll soon see a structure that looks more like the Pro's.

But, that is just my worthless 2 cents of an opinion!

Yep, and it's time they get paid and I'm not talking about NIL.

Oregon and Washington officially in the BIG TEN NOW! WOW.....Going to be fun. BTW,...My Badgers have a pretty good record against pac 12 teams in bowl games Since I have become a superfan :) They have beaten UCLA twice, Stanford once, USC once, zona state once and lost three squeakers to the Ducks twice and Stanford once.

Oregon and Washington officially in the BIG TEN NOW! WOW.....Going to be fun. BTW,...My Badgers have a pretty good record against pac 12 teams in bowl games Since I have become a superfan :) They have beaten UCLA twice, Stanford once, USC once, zona state once and lost three squeakers to the Ducks twice and Stanford once.

I want my Big Ten back...lol...

One of my favorite Badgers EVER " Jack Cichy" was suspended for the first half of the USC/WI Bowl game for a bullshit targeting call the week before. As soon as the second half started he ran out onto the field like a pissed off crazed LUNATIC and sacked the USC QB on three straight plays in a row. That was crazy, never saw that done before in my life.. NOT just three sacks...three sacks in three straight plays in a ROW! Jack was always one of those guys that played every play like his hair was on fire!

WILD!

I get that sentiment too. But its the way of the future,...cant really stop it now. Hell,...I didnt even want Penn State in when they came years ago. BTW.......I think WERE BACK this year, all the way back. I have a good feeling were gonna take you guys at our house in Mad town this season. Fickle is gonna ambush you! :laugh: Im thinking of going to the game with a buddy . Game day in Madison is an incredible experience.

I get that sentiment too. But its the way of the future,...cant really stop it now. Hell,...I didnt even want Penn State in when they came years ago. BTW.......I think WERE BACK this year, all the way back. I have a good feeling were gonna take you guys at our house in Mad town this season. Fickle is gonna ambush you! :laugh: Im thinking of going to the game with a buddy . Game day in Madison is an incredible experience.

I love Luke Fickell... you guys are lucky....;)You should go... there's nothing like game day experience.. I am so ready for some football!!!

I love Luke Fickell... you guys are lucky....;)You should go... there's nothing like game day experience.. I am so ready for some football!!!

Me too,...MORE THAN READY. Cant wait for Badger and Cowboys games again. Both teams are going to be fantastic this year.

You've read Stanford doesn't care about athletics?

“Big Ten clears way for Oregon, Washington to join, putting Pac-12 on brink”
https://apnews.com/article/pac12-bi...ngton-oregon-f9f066d554b54ab600f798d91193aee4

And just saying Stanford isn’t going to stop Stanford just to join in the open market on football players, just like NorthEastern nor Vanderbilt ever did, and I’d say who is left is fading fast without the big TV contract, due to travel, they are even coveted by what will be left of the ACC when Clemson, Florida State, and NC exits

West Coast college football will be history

College sports will not run properly in a democracy.

It requires some authoritarian czar to restore the traditional conferences
as well as the principles of amateurism and academics.

It's fading badly in this area, and even high school football is having a hard time
getting permission slips from parents anymore.
Most of the Pop Warner programs have even folded.

It would take a new Big East to get me interested again, and that's not going to happen.

Army
Boston College
Buffalo
Connecticut
Maryland
Massachusetts
Navy
Penn State
Pittsburgh
Rutgers
Syracuse
Temple

Play an 11 game round robin and screw everybody else.
I actually might have watched that.

Perhaps basketball, and only a few moving into the Big Ear, not football, too many private schools

It is history, in a decade all prior conference associations will be history, and the game will be totally professional

What is going to being interesting down the road is when the NFL sees the bucks and starts crashing college football’s fiefdom, beginning with scheduling Saturday games and directly competing for players with starting a G league for football

Perhaps basketball, and only a few moving into the Big Ear, not football, too many private schools

I'm not suggesting that my imagined "Big East" football conference would become nationally popular.

I'm suggesting that in the highly provincial and admittedly elitist northeast,
this imagined league would re-establish the popularity of college football specifically in the region.

Having towns like New York City, Boston, Philadelphia, and the like not give a fat fuck about college football,
as they really don't give a fat fuck now, well,
that constitutes a huge opportunity and a huge vacuum that could be filled.

Boston is a huge college town that has no use at all for college sports.
During the brief Doug Flutie Era, however, the sport briefly flourished here.

It will never flourish with the bulk of the BC schedule including Virginia, Virginia Tech, No. Carolina, NC State, Wake Forest, Duke, and Clemson.
Nobody cares about playing Tobacco Road ballclubs week after week. The ACC games are televised in Boston and lose the rating wars to color bars.

In any case, it won't happen but I think my league might would work.

USC & UCLA on their way to the Big 10. Colorado headed to the Big 12 and looks like Arizona and Arizona State will be joining them tomorrow. We'll no longer be able to hear Bill Walton and his 'Conference of Champions' references going forward. :(

Who's left?

USC & UCLA on their way to the Big 10. Colorado headed to the Big 12 and looks like Arizona and Arizona State will be joining them tomorrow. We'll no longer be able to hear Bill Walton and his 'Conference of Champions' references going forward. :(

I know that the PAC-12 really sucks at football, but, this is disappointing...

Back