PAC 12 Exploding

No, but Rutgers is there only in to the northeast TV market, and with USC and UCLA, they don’t need any other west coast teams. The SEC will flush Vanderbilt first chance they get, or I should rephrase, TV will have the SEC dump Vanderbilt, private schools, especially one that doesn’t emphasize football as much as others, will be replaced

And you are missing the bigger picture, neither Branch Rickey nor Charlie Finley could have saved the PAC 12, the money is too big and TV calls the shots

You have an anti-West Coast bias which is why you think this was inevitable. Either you chose not to read the article or because of your bias simply dismissed it, but it clearly laid out the mistakes made by Larry Scott and the University President's to get where we are today.

Now that we have brought in four of the better teams from the Pac Im hoping we can somehow rid ourselves of Rutgers and Maryland. Never wanted them in the 1st place. Or are they just there to serve as beating bags? LOL Heck,....we always have Indiana for THAT! :laugh: On another note,......just wait until the west coast teams get a good look see up close and personal at the weather for our late fall/early winter home games. :cool:

You have an anti-West Coast bias which is why you think this was inevitable. Either you chose not to read the article or because of your bias simply dismissed it, but it clearly laid out the mistakes made by Larry Scott and the University President's to get where we are today.

I don’t have a West Coast bias, an indifference would be more accurate, although I do kinda go along with Woody Allen’s view, however, I read the article, interesting, the guy was a bad leader, I agree, but my point is, regardless, the handwriting was on the wall, it was going to happen no matter who was the head of the conference, money is the common denominator, was seen a decade ago

https://apnews.com/article/big-ten-big12-realignment-pac12-2ab096bb273425903f3f0bf9a1b5a852

Now that we have brought in four of the better teams from the Pac Im hoping we can somehow rid ourselves of Rutgers and Maryland. Never wanted them in the 1st place. Or are they just there to serve as beating bags? LOL Heck,....we always have Indiana for THAT! :laugh: On another note,......just wait until the west coast teams get a good look see up close and personal at the weather for our late fall/early winter home games. :cool:

Nah, the Big Ten needs at least one northeast team to have some presence in that TV market, and if they begin flushing, which they will at some point, it will be the Indiana, Purdue, and Nebraska’s, plus, NorthEastern, later probably by choice, being a private school that has integrity and aren’t going to happy paying to send swim and gymnastics teams to Southern California

I don’t have a West Coast bias, an indifference would be more accurate, although I do kinda go along with Woody Allen’s view, however, I read the article, interesting, the guy was a bad leader, I agree, but my point is, regardless, the handwriting was on the wall, it was going to happen no matter who was the head of the conference, money is the common denominator, was seen a decade ago

https://apnews.com/article/big-ten-big12-realignment-pac12-2ab096bb273425903f3f0bf9a1b5a852

The PAC 12 had an opportunity to be a leader in the expansion movement. They didn't and through a series of bad decisions now find themselves no longer a conference. It really sucks because the beauty of college football was the rivalries which many are now being discarded.

With USC joining Michigan and MSU, it would really be nice to see Notre Dame place its football program in the Big Ten. But, they made that stupid deal with the ACC...

The PAC 12 had an opportunity to be a leader in the expansion movement. They didn't and through a series of bad decisions now find themselves no longer a conference. It really sucks because the beauty of college football was the rivalries which many are now being discarded.

Where? Where was the PAC 12 going to expand? Raiding the Big 12 wasn’t a reality given they traditionally leaned toward the SEC, so where, who was the PAC 12 going to raid?

In a couple of decades the national popularity of college football will begin to fade, especially when the NFL sees the money and challenge fiefdom college football enjoys today. When the market is over saturated with football, that Saturday game of say a KC/Cinn matchup will overshadow anything the college game can present

With USC joining Michigan and MSU, it would really be nice to see Notre Dame place its football program in the Big Ten. But, they made that stupid deal with the ACC...

ND profiting from that “stupid” deal, enjoyed the benefits of a league for most sports whole totally controlling their own football media contracts

Difficult to see where they will bounce next, but as long as they profit from being independent they will remain so

Where? Where was the PAC 12 going to expand? Raiding the Big 12 wasn’t a reality given they traditionally leaned toward the SEC, so where, who was the PAC 12 going to raid?

In a couple of decades the national popularity of college football will begin to fade, especially when the NFL sees the money and challenge fiefdom college football enjoys today. When the market is over saturated with football, that Saturday game of say a KC/Cinn matchup will overshadow anything the college game can present

They certainly did have options with the Big 12. And as the Mandell article pointed out, as well as columns in our local paper, the conference F'd up a decade ago with its TV deal (locking itself in with no escape clause) and then trying to go with the PAC 12 network which was a total failure.

ESPN and Fox show both NFL and college football. Why are they going to pay billions for college football then have it compete directly with the NFL? That doesn't make any sense.

They certainly did have options with the Big 12. And as the Mandell article pointed out, as well as columns in our local paper, the conference F'd up a decade ago with its TV deal (locking itself in with no escape clause) and then trying to go with the PAC 12 network which was a total failure.

ESPN and Fox show both NFL and college football. Why are they going to pay billions for college football then have it compete directly with the NFL? That doesn't make any sense.

Who? Who was going to jump out of the Big 12 to join the PAC 12?

And they will stop paying those billions for college football when the NFL offers real professionals, established rivalries, and even college football’s biggest matchup won’t have nationwide appeal, few on the eastern coast, especially northeast, is going to go out of their way to watch a USC/Ohio State matchup

Who? Who was going to jump out of the Big 12 to join the PAC 12?

And they will stop paying those billions for college football when the NFL offers real professionals, established rivalries, and even college football’s biggest matchup won’t have nationwide appeal, few on the eastern coast, especially northeast, is going to go out of their way to watch a USC/Ohio State matchup

They nearly had a deal with Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St and one other team to be the PAC 16.

We’ve seen for decades other leagues attempt to be formed, USFL, XFL etc. etc. Football is America’s most popular sport but most people don’t want to watch it unless it’s the NFL or college. Networks don’t have incentive to eliminate college football (maybe their actions will make it happen one day but that’s not the goal)

We need an authoritarian dictator to restore the traditional conferences because the pigshit schools will never do it.
I absolutely HATE the professional business aspect of top level college sports today.

Texas, for example, has twelve FBS teams and could bring back the old Southwest Conference by itself.

Baylor
Houston
North Texas
Rice
Southern Methodist
Texas
Texas A&M
Texas Christian
Texas State
Texas Tech
UT Arlington
UT El Paso

They wouldn't even need a stupid conference championship game [I hate those money grabs.]
They could play an 11 game round robin with the regular season champion hosting the Cotton Bowl Game.

It won't happen, but it would have been great for the State of Texas [which I don't even like, btw].

They nearly had a deal with Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St and one other team to be the PAC 16.

We’ve seen for decades other leagues attempt to be formed, USFL, XFL etc. etc. Football is America’s most popular sport but most people don’t want to watch it unless it’s the NFL or college. Networks don’t have incentive to eliminate college football (maybe their actions will make it happen one day but that’s not the goal)

Been rumored for years, but couldn’t have been that good a deal given Texas and Oklahoma decided to stand still

And that’s the point, in I’d say two decades, college football will become the USFL, XFL, etc., and the incentive TV will have will be the shrinking college football ratings, as I’ve said, fans will recognize it, especially with the academic and regional connections fading, as the total professional sport it will become and a weak product compared to the NFL

We need an authoritarian dictator to restore the traditional conferences because the pigshit schools will never do it.
I absolutely HATE the professional business aspect of top level college sports today.

Texas, for example, has twelve FBS teams and could bring back the old Southwest Conference by itself.

Baylor
Houston
North Texas
Rice
Southern Methodist
Texas
Texas A&M
Texas Christian
Texas State
Texas Tech
UT Arlington
UT El Paso

They wouldn't even need a stupid conference championship game [I hate those money grabs.]
They could play an 11 game round robin with the regular season champion hosting the Cotton Bowl Game.

It won't happen, but it would have been great for the State of Texas [which I don't even like, btw].

Too much money flowing to Texas and AM for them to give up their fiefdom

Think most fans would love to see a return to regional based sports, especially college sports, but TV, and greed, killed that cow, or whatever it is killed in those situations

Too much money flowing to Texas and AM for them to give up their fiefdom

Think most fans would love to see a return to regional based sports, especially college sports, but TV, and greed, killed that cow, or whatever it is killed in those situations

Yup.

WSU & OSU should try getting into the Big 12. Otherwise, all they'll have available is the MW.

Not that familiar with west coast college sports, but I’d say the MW is their most obvious choice, Big 12 is bringing in four new teams and neither WSU nor OSU offers them much

Oregon and Washington officially in the BIG TEN NOW! WOW.....Going to be fun. BTW,...My Badgers have a pretty good record against pac 12 teams in bowl games Since I have become a superfan :) They have beaten UCLA twice, Stanford once, USC once, zona state once and lost three squeakers to the Ducks twice and Stanford once.
Plus, we have plenty of excitement in seeing how our new modernized offensive philosophy pans out. Our slow and methodical "ground-and-pound" offense is now going to be a fast and flashy "Dairy-Raid" offense. Should also be good for our top-tier running backs who must be sick and tired of facing 8 and 9 man boxes all the time... and maybe some good QBs and WRs will actually want to play for UW now.

Should be an interesting year for us.

Back