Parents face jail, losing custody of kids if they homeschool their own children

so public teachers have to be top notch pros, but parents can be morons and still home school their children ? Who is watching out for the childrens rights to an education in this case ? Remember anyone can be a parent (as long as not sterile) but not everyone can be a teacher.

bullshit... anyone can be a teacher... our public education system proves that.

bullshit... anyone can be a teacher... our public education system proves that.

I wanna be a teacher.

In my community college they actually hire high school teachers who will come and give us high school level courses. It's kind of ridiculous.

Actually, I learned more in my high school chemistry class than I did in the advanced general chemistry class at the college.

Only those that play the game for about 4 years. And you are just slinging it again to say that anyone can get a teaching degree.

No, I am not.... well maybe a bit of a stretch to say anyone.... but the vast majority most certainly can. There are far too many teachers who are not proficient in their subjects.

No, I am not.... well maybe a bit of a stretch to say anyone.... but the vast majority most certainly can. There are far too many teachers who are not proficient in their subjects.

And how many parents not trained to be teachers are as proficient in all the subjects a child needs to be taught ? Not just proficient in one subject like history, english, art, etc.

And how many parents not trained to be teachers are as proficient in all the subjects a child needs to be taught ? Not just proficient in one subject like history, english, art, etc.

LOL, this is a tired old and frankly ridiculous arguement, In this day and age ... Hello... Welcome to the age of the Internet glad to have you here where any parent can become more of an expert on any given subject than any fool running around with a "teaching degree" in the span of 24 hours.

Do you actually believe that strangers are more qualified or have more of vested interest to educate children than said childrens parents do ? If so welcome to the marakesh express COMRADE.

The results of Public Education speak for themselves (falling test scores, multiple homicides, etc.. etc..,)

Yes because the state is doing such a great job of raising and educating American Children so far ...... :rolleyes:

Get real what empowers the state to dictate how ones children must be educated ? The fact of the matter is that MORE parents need to take an active role in the education of there own children and stop leaving it up to the state (which by the way is doing a rather horrible job of it in the first place).

Sorry, I don't agree. Any parent who wants to school their children, should have to demonstrate competency to teach algebra, chemistry, biology, and english.

There's a lot of morons out there, and children have a right to an adequate education. I wouldn't want George Bush teaching grammar and english literature to children. The dude can't spit out two sentences of coherent english himself, and I think he only reads comic books and My Pet Goat.

It is here. Go read the recent California ruling. It's been reported all over the state.

So what, thats not saying that you cant homeschool your kids... It is merely saying you must meet certian requirements. I agree with that. There are some dumb people out there whos kids would suffer greatly if they "homeschooled" there kids.

In fact, some certian "black sheep" members of my family claim they are "homeschooling" there kids. The kids have never set foot in a school and do not know even basic math, reading, or writing. The parents are High School Dropouts and dont want the kids to go to school, but are too lazy to teach them anything. I dont know whats going to happen to these kids.

So what, thats not saying that you cant homeschool your kids... It is merely saying you must meet certian requirements. I agree with that. There are some dumb people out there whos kids would suffer greatly if they "homeschooled" there kids.

In fact, some certian "black sheep" members of my family claim they are "homeschooling" there kids. The kids have never set foot in a school and do not know even basic math, reading, or writing. The parents are High School Dropouts and dont want the kids to go to school, but are too lazy to teach them anything. I dont know whats going to happen to these kids.

Test scores and studies have shown home schooled kids do better than their public school counterparts. If you are worried about someone dropping out and what will happen to them what about our current public school system where we have huge drop-out rates. I'm sure you can find random examples of home schooling not going well. But most parents that home school do so because they want to be involved in their childs education and they care.

Now I personally wouldn't ever home school my kid but I still believe others should have the right to if that's what they want to choose.

Test scores and studies have shown home schooled kids do better than their public school counterparts. If you are worried about someone dropping out and what will happen to them what about our current public school system where we have huge drop-out rates. I'm sure you can find random examples of home schooling not going well. But most parents that home school do so because they want to be involved in their childs education and they care.

Now I personally wouldn't ever home school my kid but I still believe others should have the right to if that's what they want to choose.

Test scores of home schooled kids would drop dramatically if the State were not allowed to require standards for Home School kids, like the Court said they are allowed to do in California, and like they do in all 50 states.

Test scores of home schooled kids would drop dramatically if the State were not allowed to require standards for Home School kids, like the Court said they are allowed to do in California, and like they do in all 50 states.

would they? these standards haven't been introduced yet in California and the children are out performing their peers. In a broader perspective why are you against giving a family the right to choose what they feel is best for the children?

would they? these standards haven't been introduced yet in California and the children are out performing their peers. In a broader perspective why are you against giving a family the right to choose what they feel is best for the children?

I am not against that. It is you who says I am!

*&^anyone can be a teacher... our public education system proves that.

Speak for your own districts. Ours are pretty da mn good and that california law is more than reasonable. As a matter of fact I only wish it were a federally mandated law.

Speak for your own districts. Ours are pretty da mn good and that california law is more than reasonable. As a matter of fact I only wish it were a federally mandated law.
The Feds have no power over Education, there is this thing called the 10th Amendment. That is a State issue. At least until we amend the constitution to include that power for the Feds.

The Feds have no power over Education, there is this thing called the 10th Amendment. That is a State issue. At least until we amend the constitution to include that power for the Feds.

True, and the States should be free to set minimum standards for home schooling as they see fit!

Back