Parents face jail, losing custody of kids if they homeschool their own children

True, and the States should be free to set minimum standards for home schooling as they see fit!
And they do.

That doesn't change that other people will disagree and point out where that disagreement is. They may also have an argument that it is stepping on personal rights where the State doesn't belong. That has yet to be determined by the SCOTUS.

And they do.

That doesn't change that other people will disagree and point out where that disagreement is. They may also have an argument that it is stepping on personal rights where the State doesn't belong. That has yet to be determined by the SCOTUS.

In my opinion, to allow unintelegent, uneducated, highschool dropouts "homeschool" there children in such a way that does not teach them to read or wright is wrong.

Sorry, I don't agree. Any parent who wants to school their children, should have to demonstrate competency to teach algebra, chemistry, biology, and english.

There's a lot of morons out there, and children have a right to an adequate education. I wouldn't want George Bush teaching grammar and english literature to children. The dude can't spit out two sentences of coherent english himself, and I think he only reads comic books and My Pet Goat.

yet you still support a public school system that now teaches to the lowest common denomenator. They are NOT getting an adequate education in the current public school system. It is why we are so friggin far behind other industrialized countries.

In my opinion, to allow unintelegent, uneducated, highschool dropouts "homeschool" there children in such a way that does not teach them to read or wright is wrong.
That doesn't change that it may be an individual right, according to the 10th Amendment to choose what type of education your child is to obtain.

The vast majority of those parents teach their children well.

yeah, because it is the high school dropouts that tend to homeschool their kids. That is why the homeschooled kids do so well compared to kids in the public school system.

There are plenty of certified school teachers in the system that are not good at their jobs. There are lawyers that pass the bar that are not good at their jobs. There are financial advisors that get licensed that are not good at their jobs.

Getting a state issued certification does little other than raise revenue for the state.

That doesn't change that it may be an individual right, according to the 10th Amendment to choose what type of education your child is to obtain.

The vast majority of those parents teach their children well.

I agree, if it is an individual right, with NO restrictions, we need to change the constitution. TO not educate your children at all, is, in my opinion, a severe form of child abuse.

The Feds have no power over Education, there is this thing called the 10th Amendment. That is a State issue. At least until we amend the constitution to include that power for the Feds.

'hyperbole' damo look it up

yeah, because it is the high school dropouts that tend to homeschool their kids. That is why the homeschooled kids do so well compared to kids in the public school system.

There are plenty of certified school teachers in the system that are not good at their jobs. There are lawyers that pass the bar that are not good at their jobs. There are financial advisors that get licensed that are not good at their jobs.

Getting a state issued certification does little other than raise revenue for the state.

right why do they discriminate against me and not let me become a school teacher ?

Do you have a degree? With one you can become a teacher. Even without one you can still teach in private schools.

I am a parent, I don't need no stinking degree, according to some....

think I will print up a college diploma for my son. It is my constiturional right after all.

I am a parent, I don't need no stinking degree, according to some....

think I will print up a college diploma for my son. It is my constiturional right after all.
Every state has standards they must pass before receiving a diploma. You are becoming a bit "Chicken Little" now.

Every state has standards they must pass before receiving a diploma. You are becoming a bit "Chicken Little" now.

Uh huh. I know of a woman in Washington state, one of the most ignorant, and incoherent, not to mention functionally illiterate morons I have ever come across, who dropped out of high school at 15, and who now home schools her children.

Now, I figure that with that as a mother, they’re doomed no matter what, and it’s none of my business, so whatever.

But don’t even try and pretend that this isn’t regularly abused.

what would you teach? what kind of record do you have in that field to show you have competance and something to offer?

Our country was ruined when EDUCATION became an actual major. Education is a human process that goes on constantly through our lives, about all different subjects, with all individuals as teachers and students. Parents are the most primary teachers. This law against home schooling is a huge assault on our freedoms. They want full mind control as soon as possible, and you statists who think parents shouldn't be allowed to educate their children should be ashamed. Maybe there could be some deal where they have to sign away their children's unemployment benefits, in case they teach them nothing but prayers and bullshit and then the kids can't work.

Our country was ruined when EDUCATION became an actual major. Education is a human process that goes on constantly through our lives, about all different subjects, with all individuals as teachers and students. Parents are the most primary teachers. This law against home schooling is a huge assault on our freedoms. They want full mind control as soon as possible, and you statists who think parents shouldn't be allowed to educate their children should be ashamed. Maybe there could be some deal where they have to sign away their children's unemployment benefits, in case they teach them nothing but prayers and bullshit and then the kids can't work.

I think parents should be able to teach their kids. Citizen was trying to make a point that any idiot would then be able to teach a class if you didn't have standards. I don't agree.

I think parents should be able to teach their kids. Citizen was trying to make a point that any idiot would then be able to teach a class if you didn't have standards. I don't agree.

Good, that makes me feel better about my opinion.

Thanks for the recap. I agree as well. with you. Not with usc. :rolleyes:

Any idiot who can teach like maybe Thomas Edison who was thought to be retarded and dropped out of school at a young age? What passes for "knowledge" has become a mere fixation on control hierarchies and elitism. And the meme is replicated throughout the entire canon.

I don't understand. If you have no standards, than what would prevent "any idiot" from home schooling?

Back