Philosphy, free will, and the absence of Religious authority

You do realize Google isn't a dictionary...right?

Yup, and neither is philosophy... But I included them both in my list of examples because Google offers definitions of words in their search bar, and philosophy is the true source of the definition of the word 'religion'.

Yup, and neither is philosophy... But I included them both in my list of examples because Google offers definitions of words in their search bar, and philosophy is the true source of the definition of the word 'religion'.

Google is a search engine, not a dictionary.

That's what he's saying. He thinks the Athenian Democracy was a great time in human history. I think he's wrong but there's a conversation to be had there.

It was without a doubt a very interesting time.

I am not grasping as to the why. His post was merely lamenting his view, but it didn't actually say anything. I thought it was an assault on religion. :shrugs:

Google is a search engine, not a dictionary.

Yup, [meaning that I agreed that Google is not a dictionary] and neither is philosophy... But I included them both in my list of examples because Google offers definitions of words in their search bar, and philosophy is the true source of the definition of the word 'religion'.

My whole point in this is that "which source's definition is the correct one"? Forget Google, since you're turning it into a red herring (LOOK! LOOK AWAY FROM THE MAIN ARGUMENT AT HAND!!!) ;)

My point is that dictionaries offer a wide variety of definitions for the same word in the same context... Which one is the correct one? Which dictionary is correct, and which definition within a specific dictionary is the correct definition? This is the issue at hand...

What you will ultimately discover is that dictionaries are not authoritative and dictionaries do not own nor define words...

A representative democracy has no constitution. There is nothing to stop mob rule.

The United States is organized as a federated republic. It is has a constitution. It is federated. That means it layers of constitutions.

It "layers of constitutions?"

Who woulda thunk it!

Yup, [meaning that I agreed that Google is not a dictionary] and neither is philosophy... But I included them both in my list of examples because Google offers definitions of words in their search bar, and philosophy is the true source of the definition of the word 'religion'.

My whole point in this is that "which source's definition is the correct one"? Forget Google, since you're turning it into a red herring (LOOK! LOOK AWAY FROM THE MAIN ARGUMENT AT HAND!!!) ;)

My point is that dictionaries offer a wide variety of definitions for the same word in the same context... Which one is the correct one? Which dictionary is correct, and which definition within a specific dictionary is the correct definition? This is the issue at hand...

What you will ultimately discover is that dictionaries are not authoritative and dictionaries do not own nor define words...

Which source is the correct one? uh, they tend to agree.

Which source is the correct one? uh, they tend to agree.

I just showed you that they didn't...

Some definitions limit religion to "belief in god(s)" while other definitions don't even mention god(s)... So, which definition is correct? Dictionaries make use of numerous varying definitions...

This just goes to show that dictionaries do not own or define words... They are not the authoritative source of word definitions... This stuff stems from philosophy, not dictionaries...

dear fucking idiot,

they are man invented words that society agrees on what they mean

geeeze are you a dumbfuck

fuck you very much

That's not actually what I said. You are the one who mentioned all of the various dictionaries. I'm willing to bet their definitions for words are the same or very close. You have misinterpreted my problem with dictionaries. I'd go into this further with you but in this thread you're not the one I want to talk to.

You would lose. The examples of dictionary 'definitions' often conflict with each other!

Back