Philosphy, free will, and the absence of Religious authority

I think pretty much the job of dictionaries is to define words.

The job of dictionaries is to standardize spelling and pronunciation. Dictionaries also contain some examples of how words might be used, but dictionaries do not own any word... No dictionary is the root source of any word.

The job of dictionaries is to standardize spelling and pronunciation. Dictionaries also contain some examples of how words might be used, but dictionaries do not own any word... No dictionary is the root source of any word.

Are you being deliberately obtuse?

I think pretty much the job of dictionaries is to define words.

Here, if I may ask you this... This might clear up the point being made...

Which dictionary is the 'authoritative' dictionary? Which dictionary is the 'correct' one? Webster? Cambridge? dictionary.com? Urban Dictionary?

Are you being deliberately obtuse?

Actually, no... I'm just being precise and accurate... This is something that many people do not give any thought to, but dictionaries are not authoritative in any way... they do not define words... Philosophy defines numerous words, such as 'religion' and 'science' for example.

Actually, no... I'm just being precise and accurate... This is something that many people do not give any thought to, but dictionaries are not authoritative in any way... they do not define words... Philosophy defines numerous words, such as 'religion' and 'science' for example.

Yeah, they do. The only job of a dictionary is to define words. If a word can't be defined our language means nothing and we can't talk to each other.

So, you're asserting that dictionaries define words, yet no dictionary is 'authoritative' and 'correct'?

How does that work, exactly?

That's not actually what I said. You are the one who mentioned all of the various dictionaries. I'm willing to bet their definitions for words are the same or very close. You have misinterpreted my problem with dictionaries. I'd go into this further with you but in this thread you're not the one I want to talk to.

words are for communication
Yup.

people get together and decide what they mean
Who is this 'elite voting bloc'? Why do they have so much power?

they write things like dictionaries with those words to agree on what they mean.
False. They write dictionaries to standardize spelling and pronunciation.

then internets idiots up and say only internets idiots are allowed to decide what words mean

its called sociopathy
'lack of intelligence' mantra ignored...

the republicans and the right have PUSHED for many years for people to hate the word democracy and claim loudly we are NOT a democracy

they want people to give up on the idea

they have also made lots of people begin to HATE capitalism do to the excesses they wish to hand over to industry.

they want the masses to hate democracy

they want the masses to be MAD at capitalism

geee who the fuck would want the American people to think like that ?

PUTIN?????

are you catching on yet?

I'm done and back. I've got time baby, do you?

The premise: A philosophical approach arises when religious authority is not regarded as all-powerful.

The reason philosophical critical inquiry, and epistemological thought arose in ancient Greece is because there was no powerful state religion that inhibited reason and free will.

What is the point you are trying to convey?

That's not actually what I said.
It was, but I'll instead take the position that I misunderstood.

You are the one who mentioned all of the various dictionaries.
I asked you which one is the correct one.

I'm willing to bet their definitions for words are the same or very close.
They aren't... Take the word 'religion' for example... Google defines it as "the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods." It also (completely differently) defines it as "a particular system of faith and worship." ... One definition mentions god(s) and control, while the other definition doesn't mention either one... Dictionary.com offers yet another different definition of 'religion': "a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs." They also offer another differing definition: "a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects:" Philosophy defines 'religion' as "an initial circular argument with other arguments stemming from that initial circular argument". That's five differing definitions right there...

I could go on and on, but I think you get my point.

You have misinterpreted my problem with dictionaries.
Then explain what I have misinterpreted.

I'd go into this further with you but in this thread you're not the one I want to talk to.
I promise I won't bite ;)

It was, but I'll instead take the position that I misunderstood.

I asked you which one is the correct one.

They aren't... Take the word 'religion' for example... Google defines it as "the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods." It also (completely differently) defines it as "a particular system of faith and worship." ... One definition mentions god(s) and control, while the other definition doesn't mention either one... Dictionary.com offers yet another different definition of 'religion': "a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs." They also offer another differing definition: "a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects:" Philosophy defines 'religion' as "an initial circular argument with other arguments stemming from that initial circular argument". That's five differing definitions right there...

I could go on and on, but I think you get my point.

Then explain what I have misinterpreted.

I promise I won't bite ;)

You do realize Google isn't a dictionary...right?

Back