Physics Question

What trips most people up on this is they visualize this as two forces operating equally in opposite directions but that's not the case. the first 100 N weight is holding the stationary end of the scale stationary. It would be the same if you were holding the the string of the stationary end of the scale with your arm. You wouldn't count the force of your arm on the stationary end, would you? So since the 100 N weight is holding the stationary end of the scale stationary the second weigh would only exert 100 N force on the spring end of the scale. Therefor the scale would read 100 N. In other words the weight on the stationary end isn't exerting a force on the scale's spring. It's just holding it stationary.

my arm isn't pulling the scale down......there is a total of 200n pulling the springs extreme ends away from each other.....neither end is stationary in the diagram shown.....

100 newtons.
The right hand weight simulates the force required to hold the scale upright and stationary.
100 newtons pulling on the spring , newton force of 100 newtons registers on the scale.
Easy peasy..

my arm isn't pulling the scale down......there is a total of 200n pulling the springs extreme ends away from each other.....neither end is stationary in the diagram shown.....

Scales weigh in one direction only. The weight on the right is excerting a force of 100N , the weight on the left is exerting 100N so the weight on the right acts as the stationary 'post'.

If the scale is vertical, there is force of 100 newtons in an upwards direction to counterbalance the downward force. This is the same, only horizontally not vertically.

Sent from my Lenovo K8 using Tapatalk

Disagree . If the scale were vertical it would need to exert a total force of 200N to counterbalance the total downward force of 200N.

This thread hurts my wee brain. Math was never my strong suit. But I do admire those who can grasp it.

Had to get a decent amount of tutoring in undergrad for my math classes. I had one prof explain to me the wonders of math, it made total sense, but I guess that kind of logic isn't my thing. I don't even remember the highest level I took.

If the scale is vertical, there is force of 100 newtons in an upwards direction to counterbalance the downward force. This is the same, only horizontally not vertically.

Sent from my Lenovo K8 using Tapatalk

illogical......in a vertical situation there is only a force in one direction....the top is stationary...when it is horizontal there are two forces......

Back