Physics Question

Oh absolutely it does. If the scale has two movable ends (springs) attached to the meter than it would measure net force in both directions which would be 0 with two moving forces in opposite direction.
Yes and no. If each individual spring measured force then each individual spring would measure 100N. But if only net force were measured of course it would be zero.
In this experiment you don’t have that. You have a scale with one stationary end and one movable end. Thus the scale only measures force applied on the movable end while the other force holds the stationary end stationary.
Both ends are movable if unequal force is applied.
That holds true for any object. How can you say one end is stationary in this experiment? If 150N is on the left and 100N on the right which direction will the weights (and scale) move? If 150N is on the right and 100 on the left which direction will the weights move?
If the scale is secured into a wall and a bulldozer exerts force on the wall in the opposite direction of the weight knocking down the wall , the weight will move up until it reaches the pulley. Neither the weight and/or wall can compete against the force of the bulldozer.

Last edited:
No. The sum of the forces would = zero. The scale only measures force in one direction which of course = 100N. Whatever secures the spring scale applies an equal force in the opposite direction of 100N which is not measured by the scale. The net force is zero which is why the system is in equilibrium.
The whole system yes. But that’s not the question posed. The question is what would the scale read?

The whole system yes. But that’s not the question posed. The question is what would the scale read?

100N of course. We're in total agreement there. And as I pointed out to pmp even if the scale measured two forces in opposite directions each measurement would show 100N. I think you'd agree with me on that.

Sensible answers only!

f27b1a9ddc1dcf33d951a031deaeee40.jpg

Sent from my Lenovo K8 using Tapatalk

The scale would read 100 N.

The 100N would be necessary to hold the scale still, while the 100N pulled the scale. Basically, if I held the scale up and hung a 100N weight on it, I would be applying 100N force to hold the scale still while it measured the force pulling "down" at 100N. In this case the 100N force to hold the scale still is supplied by the 100N weight on the right, only the force on the left is pulling the scale.

Just in case you don't believe my answer, here is a video utilizing 10N weights in the same scenario.

Here is another physics question.

Two identical cars are involved in a head on collision whilst travelling at 100 km/h. The impact force on each car is the same as hitting a solid wall at:

(a) 100 km/h

(b) 200 km/h

(c) 150 km/h

(d) 50 km/h

Here is another physics question.

Two identical cars are involved in a head on collision whilst travelling at 100 km/h. The impact force on each car is the same as hitting a solid wall at:

(a) 100 km/h

(b) 200 km/h

(c) 150 km/h

(d) 50 km/h

200 km/hr F=ma.

Sensible answers only!

f27b1a9ddc1dcf33d951a031deaeee40.jpg

When you have 2 identical forces opposing each other there is a basic law of physics that must be applied. If there is no motion, no force can be generated. According to Newton's 2nd law of motion.

This supposed scale is not a practical method to measure force....as force requires motion of some sort, the greater the mass the greater the force or NEWTON generated....obviously your scale represents 2 units of mass resting in an equal and static state, void of motion due to the equal mass in a suspended format. Now the only weigh (pun) to truly measure Newtons is to calculate Mass/Weight....or the effect that gravity has on mass resulting in an extrapolated weight algorithm.

Last edited:
When you have 2 identical forces opposing each other there is a basic law of physics that must be applied. If there is no motion, no force can be generated. According to Newton's 2nd law of motion.

This supposed scale is not a practical method to measure force....as force requires motion of some sort, the greater the mass the greater the force or NEWTON generated....obviously your scale represents 2 units of mass resting in an equal and static state, void of motion due to the equal mass in a suspended format. Now the only weigh (pun) to truly measure Newtons is to calculate Mass/Weight....or the effect that gravity has on mass resulting in an extrapolated weight algorithm.
https://www.convertunits.com/from/N/to/kg

Biology question.

You sample and analyze some genetic material. Which analysis would represent a single strand of DNA?

1. 17%A / 17%T, 33%G / 33%U
2. 17%C / 17%T, 33%G, 33%A
3. 12%A / 12%T, 30%G / 46%C
4. 29%A / 14%U, 33%G /46%U

Please explain your answer. This is actually a fairly easy question you should be able to answer if you studied high school biology.

Last edited:
Biology question.

You sample and analyze some genetic material. Which analysis would represent a single strand of DNA?

1. 17%A / 17%T, 33%G / 33%U
2. 17%C / 17%T, 33%G, 33%A
3. 12%A / 12%T, 30%G / 46%C
4. 29%A / 14%U, 33%G /46%U

Please explain your answer. This is actually a fairly easy question you should be able to answer if you studied high school biology.

As DNA is composed of the four base pairs, adenine, thymine, guanine and cytosine, then the answer must be number 3.

200 km/hr F=ma.

The answer is 100 km/hr.

The two cars colliding are completely equivalent. From one car's point of view it makes no difference whether it hits a wall at 100*km/h or another vehicle travellng at the same velocity in the opposite direction. The amount of force applied to the vehicle is the same in both situations.

Last edited:
Back