Rapture Doctrine invented by John Darby in 1830 AD

So they now subscribe to it as well? You can tell I haven't gone to Protestant church for a very long time. lol

Not universally, but ever since Late Great Planet Earth came out alot of unchurched Christians hopped on the bandwagon. Scofield has been insideous. Then it got another boost with the Left Behind series.

So many Christians are now focused on Revelation and other apocalyptic writings and they don't understand the symbolism or the time frame.

WTF?......Lutherans and Methodists are a-millennial.....why do you keep making shit up and posting it?......

The rapture exposed.. Living Lutheran

excerpt:

The return of Jesus is a central teaching in the New Testament and is foundational for Lutherans and other Christians. But this isn’t the same as the rapture, a word that isn’t in the Bible.

I first heard about the so-called rapture in college when fundamentalist Christian students tried to convince me that if I did not embrace the theology of Hal Lindsey’s 1970 book The Late Great Planet Earth (Zondervan) I would be “left behind” when Jesus returned.

Similar fears about Jesus’ second coming have been instilled in young people more recently by the “Left Behind” novels, a fictional series set during the supposed seven-year period around Jesus’ coming in the so-called rapture.

The entire rapture notion is antithetical to traditional Christian theology. While proponents claim the rapture is based on a literal interpretation of the Bible, they employ a highly selective pick-and-choose literalism. This theology was invented less than 200 years ago, but it has gained prominence in American culture through televangelists and radio preachers.

Rapture theology raises questions about the Bible’s view of prophecy, violence and even Middle East policy. This theology should be challenged and replaced with a more biblical understanding of Christian hope for the future of the world and of Jesus’ coming again.

https://www.livinglutheran.org/2013/06/end-times/

Yeah.. During the Depression and Dustbowl years traveling preachers held tent revivals and spread a lot of bad doctrine that appealed to poor people and the uneducated.
I attended several tent revivals as a young girl with a friends family, as a Catholic I was intrigued by how different it was from my religion.

The Rapture means different things to different churches.
Some say the Rapture will happen in the middle of the 7years of tribulation.
Some say it is one and the same as the second coming of Christ.
I personally don't use the word.
My focus is on the fulfillment of
1Thessalonians 4:16-17

I attended several tent revivals as a young girl with a friends family, as a Catholic I was intrigued by how different it was from my religion.

I have always kind of wanted to see the snake handlers and people talking in tongues.

I have been (infrequently) to some Catholic masses, and I always kind of liked them.

And I really love some of the old Catholic cathedrals. Those things are incredible.

The Rapture means different things to different churches.
Some say the Rapture will happen in the middle of the 7years of tribulation.
Some say it is one and the same as the second coming of Christ.
I personally don't use the word.
My focus is on the fulfillment of
1Thessalonians 4:16-17

It happened in 70 AD.

The meeting-place is the heavenly places in Christ – the spiritual kingdom.

1 Thes.4:16 sure sounds like Mt. 24:30-31.

In Matthew 16:28, speaking of when it would happen, Jesus claims the same timing as Paul: Jesus said, "Some of you standing here shall not taste death," Paul said "We who are alive and remain."

I have always kind of wanted to see the snake handlers and people talking in tongues.

I have been (infrequently) to some Catholic masses, and I always kind of liked them.

And I really love some of the old Catholic cathedrals. Those things are incredible.

I did see people talking in tongues once.. Scared the willies out of me.

The speaking in tongues was scary. I also saw a woman overcome by the spirit withering all over the ground.

The cathedrals were an architectic wonder if their times, built on the blood, sweat and tears of the people.

The speaking in tongues was scary. I also saw a woman overcome by the spirit withering all over the ground.

The cathedrals were an architectic wonder if their times, built on the blood, sweat and tears of the people.

If you like Cathedrals read Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett.

A good point, the snake handling might freak me out a tad!

Recognizing the suffering that went into building the cathedrals, I agree with you that they are architectural works of art. The stained glass windows are one of my favorite things, but there is also just some intangible feeling of serenity and reverence I get just being in one of those cathedrals. I watched a Great Courses lecture series on the great Catholic Cathedrals of Europe, and enjoyed every minute of it!

Back