Rapture Doctrine invented by John Darby in 1830 AD

so your quote proves me right and you wrong.......you said Lutherans believed in the a Scofield type rapture......you poor sick fuck.....please, win all my arguments for me in the future.....

You have a reading problem.. I said Scofield's influence has spread since the 1930s and affected some mailine Churches like Lutherans and Methodists.

The speaking in tongues was scary. I also saw a woman overcome by the spirit withering all over the ground.

The cathedrals were an architectic wonder if their times, built on the blood, sweat and tears of the people.

Shoot, that was what we called "morning" in the church I grew up in.

Speaking in Tongues (a gift of the Spirit) in early Christendom allowed the person so affected to speak and be understood by people who spoke different languages. The current phenomena of nonsense babbled and then translated by another member of the church (discernment, a different gift of the Spirit) was one of the things that caused my earliest questioning of the Faith. This all happened concurrently, the "healing" services where nobody was healed was another big one for me. The bad actors pretending to be overcome by the Spirit having nearly orgasmic faces while singing the same song they sang last week... that was another.

Speaking in Tongues (a gift of the Spirit) in early Christendom allowed the person so affected to speak and be understood by people who spoke different languages. The current phenomena of nonsense babbled and then translated by another member of the church (discernment, a different gift of the Spirit) was one of the things that caused my earliest questioning of the Faith. This all happened concurrently, the "healing" services where nobody was healed was another big one for me. The bad actors pretending to be overcome by the Spirit having nearly orgasmic faces while singing the same song they sang last week... that was another.

So why did God change it from natural to unnatural?

1. At the time of the Exodus, God required all male Israelites to attend three annual services at a specific place which later, became the city of Jerusalem. "Three times a year all your men must appear before the Lord your God at the place he will choose: at the Feast of Unleavened Bread, the Feast of Weeks [later called Pentecost] and the Feast of Tabernacles. No man should appear before the Lord empty-handed" (Deuteronomy 16:16, )

4. The disciples did something that had never been done before. They spoke to the congregants about Jesus using the native languages and dialects of the congregants: "Then how is it that each of us hears them in his own native language? Parthians, Medes and Elamites; residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya near Cyrene; visitors from Rome (both Jews and converts to Judaism); Cretans and Arabs – we hear them declaring the wonders of God in our own tongues!" (Acts 2:8-11, emphases mine)

https://www.wake-up.org/church/speaking-in-tongues.html

Interesting that God doesn't do this any more.

How do you know he doesn't,because it's not on TV?
Or posted on JPP?

Fake Christians at their worse!
Great post!
Lets all buy Kenneth Copland a new jet!
I "assume" it's God's will!
" Ybhduj,hkndju"!

????.....no, Thessalonika was in Greece.....they were Greek.....the Hellenized Jews were the ruling class in Judea.......

THE JEWS OF THESSALONIKI

by Yakov Benmayor

The Early Years

It is believed that Jews from Alexandria, who arrived in 140 BCE, were among the first Jews to settle in Thessaloniki. During the Hellenistic period a Jewish community was formed. They concentrated in an area near the port of the city. The center of their social and religious lives was their synagogue, Etz haHayim.

Legend has it that the apostle Paul preached for three consecutive Sabbaths in this same synagogue before he was forced to leave town.

The Romans granted autonomy to the Jewish community whose members lived in various parts of the town and were not concentrated anymore around the port. They are traders, craftsmen but also farmers and silk growers. The supreme leader of the community is the Rabbi who, assisted by 6 notables, deals with the everyday needs and duties of its members.

The Jews of Thessaloniki during the Roman and later the Byzantine periods had Greek names and spoke Greek. This ancient community came to beknown as the “Romaniotes”. After the splitting up of the Roman Empire in 395 CE, Thessaloniki became the second most important city - after Constantinople - in the Byzantine Empire.

continued

http://www.holocausteducenter.gr/the-jews-of-thessaloniki/

Acts 17 contains the description of the evangelistic efforts of Paul and Silas and Timothy in three cities: Thessalonica (17:1-10a), Berea (17:10b-15), and Athens (17:16-34). In all three of these cities Paul visited synagogues where he proclaimed Jesus as the promised Messiah.

The focus of the campaigns in the first two cities is strongly Jewish, while the focus in the last campaign is Gentile.

1. At the time of the Exodus, God required all male Israelites to attend three annual services at a specific place which later, became the city of Jerusalem. "Three times a year all your men must appear before the Lord your God at the place he will choose: at the Feast of Unleavened Bread, the Feast of Weeks [later called Pentecost] and the Feast of Tabernacles. No man should appear before the Lord empty-handed" (Deuteronomy 16:16, )

4. The disciples did something that had never been done before. They spoke to the congregants about Jesus using the native languages and dialects of the congregants: "Then how is it that each of us hears them in his own native language? Parthians, Medes and Elamites; residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya near Cyrene; visitors from Rome (both Jews and converts to Judaism); Cretans and Arabs – we hear them declaring the wonders of God in our own tongues!" (Acts 2:8-11, emphases mine)

https://www.wake-up.org/church/speaking-in-tongues.html

Interesting that God doesn't do this any more.

do which?.......requiring people to gather together or speaking in recognizable tongues.......

You have a reading problem.. I said Scofield's influence has spread since the 1930s and affected some mailine Churches like Lutherans and Methodists.

and your link points out, as I did, that you are confusing the second coming with Scofield millennialsim.......

Acts 17 contains the description of the evangelistic efforts of Paul and Silas and Timothy in three cities: Thessalonica (17:1-10a), Berea (17:10b-15), and Athens (17:16-34). In all three of these cities Paul visited synagogues where he proclaimed Jesus as the promised Messiah.

The focus of the campaigns in the first two cities is strongly Jewish, while the focus in the last campaign is Gentile.

yes it does.....Acts 17:4....
Some of the Jews were persuaded and joined Paul and Silas, as did a large number of God-fearing Greeks and quite a few prominent women.

the church that Paul formed and wrote a letter to, was not a Jewish church.......

Paul was there in about 53 AD.. and they were Jewish assemblies or a mix of Jews and Gentiles. Thessalonia had a large Jewish population from about 130 BC.

Thinking that the seven churches of Asia Minor were all Christians is a mistake.

You probably never thought of that, but go back and read the scriptures.

Paul was there in about 53 AD.. and they were Jewish assemblies or a mix of Jews and Gentiles. Thessalonia had a large Jewish population from about 130 BC.

Thinking that the seven churches of Asia Minor were all Christians is a mistake.

You probably never thought of that, but go back and read the scriptures.

what an idiot.......of course all seven churches were Christian.......Jews who became Christian, Gentiles who became Christians........you really ought to stick to issues where you actually know something.......

Now you are beginning to get it.. Paul was there as a MISSIONARY to convert Jews to following Christ and recognizing him as the risen messiah.

lol, even when you are proved wrong you lie.....its rather pathetic......Paul was there as a missionary.........period......listen to the sermon he gave in Athens a few weeks later.....you cited it just a few posts ago.
Acts 17:16 While Paul was waiting for them in Athens, he was greatly distressed to see that the city was full of idols. 17 So he reasoned in the synagogue with both Jews and God-fearing Greeks, as well as in the marketplace day by day with those who happened to be there. 18 A group of Epicurean and Stoic philosophers began to debate with him. Some of them asked, “What is this babbler trying to say?” Others remarked, “He seems to be advocating foreign gods.” They said this because Paul was preaching the good news about Jesus and the resurrection. 19 Then they took him and brought him to a meeting of the Areopagus, where they said to him, “May we know what this new teaching is that you are presenting? 20 You are bringing some strange ideas to our ears, and we would like to know what they mean.” 21 (All the Athenians and the foreigners who lived there spent their time doing nothing but talking about and listening to the latest ideas.)

22 Paul then stood up in the meeting of the Areopagus and said: “People of Athens! I see that in every way you are very religious. 23 For as I walked around and looked carefully at your objects of worship, I even found an altar with this inscription: to an unknown god. So you are ignorant of the very thing you worship—and this is what I am going to proclaim to you.

24 “The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by human hands. 25 And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything. Rather, he himself gives everyone life and breath and everything else. 26 From one man he made all the nations, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he marked out their appointed times in history and the boundaries of their lands. 27 God did this so that they would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from any one of us. 28 ‘For in him we live and move and have our being.’ As some of your own poets have said, ‘We are his offspring.’[c]

29 “Therefore since we are God’s offspring, we should not think that the divine being is like gold or silver or stone—an image made by human design and skill. 30 In the past God overlooked such ignorance, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent. 31 For he has set a day when he will judge the world with justice by the man he has appointed. He has given proof of this to everyone by raising him from the dead.”

32 When they heard about the resurrection of the dead, some of them sneered, but others said, “We want to hear you again on this subject.” 33 At that, Paul left the Council. 34 Some of the people became followers of Paul and believed. Among them was Dionysius, a member of the Areopagus, also a woman named Damaris, and a number of others.

Footnotes:

does that sound like a missionary only to the Jews?......

by the way, was Paul preaching a spiritual kingdom?......

what an idiot.......of course all seven churches were Christian.......Jews who became Christian, Gentiles who became Christians........you really ought to stick to issues where you actually know something.......

Luke relates that Jewish residents of the cities in Asia Minor opposed both
the Jewish Christian missionaries and the new Christian communities.

Back