Reality check on America's racial mindset.

Taichiliberal

Shaken, not stirred!
For all those who think that the recent SCOTUS ruling regarding the Voting Rights Act and subsequent actions by various "red" states are valid, here's a real life reality check:

Today I bumped into my next door neighbor's kid, who is now all grown up, married and with 2 kids of her own. For the past 3 years her family has lived in a town on Long Island, New York that has only 6% black population. She said to this day neighborhood people constantly ask her how some elderly white folk are doing....they ASSUME she is either a live in nurse or domestic. Also, she and her family are STILL stared at when they visit the local pool complex...as if the locals haven't seen black folk before.

So please, don't tell me that this type of mindset does not permeate decisions regarding voting rights.

Its absolutely irrelevant to voting and the integrity of elections....

If you saw a white couple walking down the street in an area that is 94% black, wtf would you think first ?
and don't give me bs that you'd think they live there.

If you saw a white couple walking down the street in an area that is 94% black, wtf would you think first ?

I would think nothing, just a couple walking down the street, I don't have a racists mind.

I would think nothing, just a couple walking down the street, I don't have a racists mind.

I'm sorry but I don't think one is racist for recognizing a difference. That is being human imo. If you live in a neighborhood that is 95% one race, ethnicity etc. you will probably be aware when you see someone different. That's just reality. Now if you respond to or treat those people differently than you would anyone else then yeah you are getting into bigotry, racist behavior and so on.

That's called profiling. I don't participate, nor judge.

I'm sorry but I don't think one is racist for recognizing a difference. That is being human imo. If you live in a neighborhood that is 95% one race, ethnicity etc. you will probably be aware when you see someone different. That's just reality. Now if you respond to or treat those people differently than you would anyone else then yeah you are getting into bigotry, racist behavior and so on.

I truly don't notice, but I have never lived anywhere where the neighborhood is predominately one color, either. My neighborhood is a very mixed neighborhood.

I doubt if you have much of a mind at all....anything out of the ordinary is noticed by anyone with a working mind....racism has nothing to do with it.

That's called profiling. I don't participate, nor judge.

profiling is human nature in action....and perfectly normal behavior....and EVERYONE does it to one degree or another everyday....and it has nothing to do with racism.

pro·fil·ing
ˈprōˌfīliNG
noun
noun: profiling

the recording and analysis of a person's psychological and behavioral characteristics, so as to assess or predict their capabilities in a certain sphere or to assist in identifying a particular group of people.

Last edited:
I truly don't notice, but I have never lived anywhere where the neighborhood is predominately one color, either. My neighborhood is a very mixed neighborhood.

It doesn't have to be race....its ANYTHING out of the ordinary....anything. It could be a change in the type of clothing your used to seeing.
A convertible car where nobody in town owns one...
You meet a new guy that asks you out...do you accept or not ?....If you don't do a little profiling, you're an idiot.
Is this subject too deep for you ? All you can think of is race.

We discriminate every day....
Should I walk or take the bus
Should I have cereal or eggs for breakfast
Should I take an umbrella or not

Every decision we make a type of discrimination and race never has to enter into it.

For all those who think that the recent SCOTUS ruling regarding the Voting Rights Act and subsequent actions by various "red" states are valid, here's a real life reality check:

Today I bumped into my next door neighbor's kid, who is now all grown up, married and with 2 kids of her own. For the past 3 years her family has lived in a town on Long Island, New York that has only 6% black population. She said to this day neighborhood people constantly ask her how some elderly white folk are doing....they ASSUME she is either a live in nurse or domestic. Also, she and her family are STILL stared at when they visit the local pool complex...as if the locals haven't seen black folk before.

So please, don't tell me that this type of mindset does not permeate decisions regarding voting rights.

It's just so depressing, and more common than anyone thinks. :(

Same here, from birth I've lived in mixed neighborhoods. Don't even know the percentage of my current one, just that it's mixed.

profiling is human nature in action....and perfectly normal behavior....and EVERYONE does it to one degree or another everyday....and it has nothing to do with racism.

pro·fil·ing
ˈprōˌfīliNG
noun
noun: profiling

the recording and analysis of a person's psychological and behavioral characteristics, so as to assess or predict their capabilities in a certain sphere or to assist in identifying a particular group of people.

But when one assumes that a black person is a maid or nurse, that is racist profiling.

It doesn't have to be race....its ANYTHING out of the ordinary....anything. It could be a change in the type of clothing your used to seeing.
A convertible car where nobody in town owns one...
You meet a new guy that asks you out...do you accept or not ?....If you don't do a little profiling, you're an idiot.
Is this subject too deep for you ? All you can think of is race.

We discriminate every day....
Should I walk or take the bus
Should I have cereal or eggs for breakfast
Should I take an umbrella or not

Every decision we make a type of discrimination and race never has to enter into it.

Oh Vanilla you are so archaic.

For the past 3 years her family has lived in a town on Long Island, New York that has only 6% black population.

Really? What town is that?

She said to this day neighborhood people constantly ask her how some elderly white folk are doing....they ASSUME she is either a live in nurse or domestic.

My g/f lives in a part of Queens that is 95% black, and when I walk the dog people keep asking me if I want to "buy weed?" After all, what else could a white guy be doing there?

Newsflash for ya, stupid.....I've lived in a predominately black neighborhood all my life.....so seeing some non-black folk of the 6% wasn't unusual being that the surrounding towns were 90 to 100% white.

And yeah, changing voting laws to keep black folk from voting is the same mentality, so stop trying to excuse bias mindsets and pretend they don't extend/permeate every social decision.

Bullshit! In this day and age, NO ONE is spared economic strata....case in point, Harlem, NY has been seeing an increase in non-black residents for the last 25 years...."staring" isn't the status quo.

Quote Originally Posted by Taichiliberal View Post
For the past 3 years her family has lived in a town on Long Island, New York that has only 6% black population.

Really? What town is that?

Copaigue

My g/f lives in a part of Queens that is 95% black, and when I walk the dog people keep asking me if I want to "buy weed?" After all, what else could a white guy be doing there?

So NO ONE ELSE is being offered a "weed" sale except you? And you've been walking the dog there for 3 years and the same people STILL think you're only there to buy weed? I highly doubt that, having been around Queens for over 30 years. My statement stands.

Bullshit! In this day and age, NO ONE is spared economic strata....case in point, Harlem, NY has been seeing an increase in non-black residents for the last 25 years...."staring" isn't the status quo.

When I was in school I had a teammate that lived in the West Oakland projects and one that lived in East Oakland projects. When I would go visit them or pick them up for practice I could see people staring at me like 'wth is this white dude doing down here?' No one ever did anything to me but they sure looked at me funny. Was that racist?

Back