Republican State Legislatures Assume Leadership of Insurrection.

I won’t post any more game pics. I don’t want folks feeling uncomfortable. Just using the pic for documentation. Ever since cell phones I’ve recorded a successful hunt with a picture…and included the weapon I used. As to this muzzleloading hunting season, I thoroughly enjoyed my day and a half getting to sit in that lawn chair and watch the game I wasn’t hunting though. Squirrels, raccoons, hawks, owls … even some deer I didn’t choose to harvest. To me that’s the true joy of hunting.

You can bet every usable bit will be used. Liver, heart, and of course the meat. The wife and I will use it all. The only thing I don’t use is the hide. I’m not like Tom Oare (Mountain Men) who can transform a deer hide (or any skin) into a set of moccasins or knife sheath …. I’m just not that talented.

One deer will be sufficient for my wife and I for the year. I have processed all of it except for the ground meat and it is in the freezer. I plan to grind and package the grinding cuts tomorrow when I get off of work.

Whether one believes our life cycle is the creation of a deity or discovery of science, it is the cycle we have and the one we will live and die with. I happen to believe agree with both creation and scientific discovery … My body will one day become dirt, grow grass and feed deer that will one day feed some human or other predator. It’s the Lion King truth.

Looks like we’ll be watching football in the rain this weekend. Possibly some severe storms heading our way. We’ll see. Just hoping our guys can make it competitive. Mostly I’m looking forward to seeing the kid.

You don't have to stop posting pics on my account, Rev.

The squeamishness is my problem, not yours.

As I've mentioned, I eat meat too, even though I'm not proud of it.

Just because I buy it at the supermarket or a restaurant doesn't mean that somebody didn't kill it.
You're not a trophy hunter, and deer aren't an endangered species.

I've no grievance with you at all.
The war really turned off me doing any shooting myself, even though I used to leave the city to shoot cans and bottles at my friend's family farm when I was a boy.
That was mostly with expensive, center-fire ammunition, not .22s, because I liked and collected the actual firearms at the time, and I was genuinely stupid about money I didn't earn myself.

I personally came up with an excellent handload for the Weatherby .224, I believe I may have mentioned once. Just use all the standard factory components--bullet, primer, powder--from the Winchester .225
(back when it was available) with the Weatherby brass. Somehow, it resulted in a better round than either the Winchester or the Weatherby factory ammo--blazing muzzle velocity with target ammo consistency.
Energy didn't matter. I was shooting bottles and cans or punching paper. I'll leave it to you mathematicians to figure out energy.

As for the Remington .223 from which the military 5.56 mm was adapted, that wasn't remotely as good a cartridge from within the same category, but even with a full metal jacket, it still killed people.
With domestic terrorists and hollow point hunting ammo, I imagine it's even worse.

When it came to center fire rounds in that category, I believe that the .220 Swift was the fastest and the .22-250 the hardest hitting.

As for the football,
in my geriatric mind, Baylor is part of the Southwest Conference and Oklahoma is part of the Big 8.
Everybody keeps screwing with things.

The Gestapo wants American food tonight--no Chinese or Italian--which automatically eliminates my favorite two restaurants.
I guess that means treating my arteries to a two-pound steak or prime rib. [I'm the oddball Bostonian who doesn't do lobster.]
I don't even finish it anymore. I bring some home to the avatar for a late-night snack.

May as well invite the offspring as well.
There are only so many Saturday nights left, right?
I can almost hear Frank singing September Song as I type.

You don't have to stop posting pics on my account, Rev.

The squeamishness is my problem, not yours.

As I've mentioned, I eat meat too, even though I'm not proud of it.

Just because I buy it at the supermarket or a restaurant doesn't mean that somebody didn't kill it.
You're not a trophy hunter, and deer aren't an endangered species.

I've no grievance with you at all.
The war really turned off me doing any shooting myself, even though I used to leave the city to shoot cans and bottles at my friend's family farm when I was a boy.
That was mostly with expensive, center-fire ammunition, not .22s, because I liked and collected the actual firearms at the time, and I was genuinely stupid about money I didn't earn myself.

I personally came up with an excellent handload for the Weatherby .224, I believe I may have mentioned once. Just use all the standard factory components--bullet, primer, powder--from the Winchester .225
(back when it was available) with the Weatherby brass. Somehow, it resulted in a better round than either the Winchester or the Weatherby factory ammo--blazing muzzle velocity with target ammo consistency.
Energy didn't matter. I was shooting bottles and cans or punching paper. I'll leave it to you mathematicians to figure out energy.

As for the Remington .223 from which the military 5.56 mm was adapted, that wasn't remotely as good a cartridge from within the same category, but even with a full metal jacket, it still killed people.
With domestic terrorists and hollow point hunting ammo, I imagine it's even worse.

When it came to center fire rounds in that category, I believe that the .220 Swift was the fastest and the .22-250 the hardest hitting.

As for the football,
in my geriatric mind, Baylor is part of the Southwest Conference and Oklahoma is part of the Big 8.
Everybody keeps screwing with things.

Just a note. The .220 Swift and the .223 shoot the same bullet. The Swift is a long throw (bolt) and the .223 a short throw action. More powder in the Swift's longer cartridge = more velocity and energy.
The .220 Swift was developed in 1935 by Winchester, and loaded to it's max potential, still remains the fastest commercial cartridge, even over the .17 Remmington.

Helped my FIL feed his calves this morning and got acquainted with his new dog while I was at it. The dog is a short haired Border Collie and is as sharp as a tack. She isn’t a year old yet and is learning the herding game quite well already. I am intrigued by the fenceless containment system he uses. He said it cost him about $400 and I’m thinking it would be great to use with one of my dogs. I have a fenced yard that they stay in but even in my remote area I am concerned about them getting ran over by a truck when they are out on our place. I will investigate it further when I get back to Oklahoma.

We are going to visit the wife’s grandmother who is in a nursing home. Granny turned 101 a few months ago. After we finish we will likely go eat. Likely will be Italian food if it is up to my MIL and my wife. If it was up to my FIL we’d go to a place called Mancino’s (also Italian but much less formal) and have some grinders. I’m OK with either as both alternatives are good.

My kid is supposed to fly in to Nashville Tuesday after his last classes. We’re supposed to pick him up around 8:30. That won’t be bad as we are about an hour and a half north of there. I just hope they have the construction completed they were working on last year. Between that and COVID protocols still in place picking him up last year was a nightmare. It’s worth it though…Like you said, there are only so many Saturday nights (and Thanksgiving holidays) left.

Just a note. The .220 Swift and the .223 shoot the same bullet. The Swift is a long throw (bolt) and the .223 a short throw action. More powder in the Swift's longer cartridge = more velocity and energy.
The .220 Swift was developed in 1935 by Winchester, and loaded to it's max potential, still remains the fastest commercial cartridge, even over the .17 Remmington.

I don’t know a lot of specifics on weapons … I just know that I like to shoot. I like accuracy. I have two 223’s…one a bolt action and one a single shot. I got the single shot for my son when he started deer hunting in the 4th grade. No kick and great accuracy. Both of mine are tack drivers. With the bolt action I’ve killed coyotes out to two hundred yards, one was a running shot at 212 yards, I killed a deer at 310 yards and I even killed a turkey (don’t tell the game warden) at 225 yards. I love the accuracy.

I am currently working with a new mold for my 58 caliber muzzleloader. I’m hoping that it will shoot accurately out of both of my smoke poles so that I can use it for deer hunting. It is a 440 grain conical bullet with a solid base. I’ve molded a few with a mixture of lead and tire weights. I’m waiting until I have time go to the range to torch them off and see how they shoot.

I have a Marlin 44 magnum lever action that I cannot get to shoot accurately. I killed a nice buck with it a few years ago but he was only 12 yards away. I can’t get better than an 8 inch group at 100 yards. I am thinking of trying to sell it and maybe trying to find a Henry. My son has a Henry in 45 Long Colt that is very accurate. I like the 44 magnum load and am hoping I can find accuracy in the Henry lever gun.

Like Ive said all along,...You are a bunch of impotent pussies. ALL talk...NO backup. ;)

There is no one on this board who is a bigger talker than you. All tough guy. But this is typing. You are cobbling an image for yourself, nobody else cares about your tough guy veiled threats.Try answering a question like an adult. It won't put you in a dress.

I don’t know a lot of specifics on weapons … I just know that I like to shoot. I like accuracy. I have two 223’s…one a bolt action and one a single shot. I got the single shot for my son when he started deer hunting in the 4th grade. No kick and great accuracy. Both of mine are tack drivers. With the bolt action I’ve killed coyotes out to two hundred yards, one was a running shot at 212 yards, I killed a deer at 310 yards and I even killed a turkey (don’t tell the game warden) at 225 yards. I love the accuracy.

I am currently working with a new mold for my 58 caliber muzzleloader. I’m hoping that it will shoot accurately out of both of my smoke poles so that I can use it for deer hunting. It is a 440 grain conical bullet with a solid base. I’ve molded a few with a mixture of lead and tire weights. I’m waiting until I have time go to the range to torch them off and see how they shoot.

I have a Marlin 44 magnum lever action that I cannot get to shoot accurately. I killed a nice buck with it a few years ago but he was only 12 yards away. I can’t get better than an 8 inch group at 100 yards. I am thinking of trying to sell it and maybe trying to find a Henry. My son has a Henry in 45 Long Colt that is very accurate. I like the 44 magnum load and am hoping I can find accuracy in the Henry lever gun.

There's no doubt that the .223 is accurate in either a bolt or single action. I'm an accuracy "fanatic" too. When I was a little kid, my favorite gun in my father's gun collection was the .220 Swift because it had a "big scope" (a Weaver K10), so my father gave it to me for my 12th. birthday. My Swift is a Pre '64 Winchester/w a 26" SS barrel. I installed a Timney trigger set at 2.5 lbs./w a trigger shoe, trued the bolt and added a 6.5-20X Leupold optic. I shoot a 55 gr. Nosler ballistic tip (3850 fps) and have shot a groundhog at 780 yd, but the majority have been in the 200-350 yd. range. I shot a doe at roughly 500 yd. leaning against a telephone pole, but rarely use it for deer (I have a sweet tack-driving Remmington 700 BDL in .30-06 for deer).

My father was into black powder too. I have one of the .50 cal. he built (he built 3, he gave one to his friend and I gave the other to his friend's son-in-law). It's a PA. a long rifle with a Don Getz barrel (he and Don were good friends) that is a work of art. At 100 yd. it can rival some cartridge rifles. We too, use a mixture of pure lead and wheel weights for all our cast bullets. Keep in mind, the twist rate and barrel length must also be considered (in all firearms) when reloading. Sometimes it takes many trips to the range and powder charge changes to find accuracy. Some of the fun (except for the cost) is working up a load for your guns.

Also keep in mind that velocity doesn't often = accuracy. You might consider reducing your load/changing bullet weight/configuration for the .44, or changing powders before you completely give up on it. Consult your loading manual or go to the many internet forums, they contain tons of info. The Henry is a pretty good lever gun and shoots the large pistol rounds rather well.
As for the .45 LC, that was one of my father's favorite handgun calibers. I have a Colt Buntline (a Peacemaker/w 12" barrel) and a Ruger Blackhawk .45/.45 ACP convertible. Both shoot very well using our cast bullets.
Good luck. And remember, safety first! :)

Last edited:
The sad truth is the insurrectionists, bigots, haters, and evangelicals have been cultivated by the wealthy. The wealthy are after more money since money =power. They want to change America into an oligopoly on the way to a small group of billionaires who will take over.
There is a history, When FDR was in office and dared to start Social security and help the people, they tried to overthrow the government. They did the Banker Plot to overthrow the govt. https://www.npr.org/2012/02/12/145472726/when-the-bankers-plotted-to-overthrow-fdr They asked Gen Smedley Butler to lead the army that they had bought weapons for. Butler turned them in. They had a secret trial and those involved were never released to the public. They were still rich after all. I read that Prescott Bush was involved. The concept of the Constitution and rule of law are not in the thinking of the wealthy. They own the Republican party. Your misguided '"patriotism" is leading us down a dark and dangerous path.

The 25-06 also breaks the 3500 fps barrier if you like something a little bigger.

The 25-06 also breaks the 3500 fps barrier if you like something a little bigger.

The .25-06 is an excellent choice. One of my friends has a Remmington 700 in .20-06 and it shoots great. Hard hitting and accurate.
I have a Sako L579 .243 as a "mid size" caliber, although I don't shoot it as often as the Winchester or the Remmington.
Now you have me thinking about getting it out of the case and burning a little powder in it!

I have way too much time on my hands this week to read all kinds of stuff. Posting this here for myself to read in a couple of years, Lord willing. Lots of truth to it, especially about spending time with my dad (and uncles) and about keeping me “young.”

We picked up the offspring at Nashville airport last night. Nothing like moving an inch at a time for an hour and a half off the interstate, through the exit and finally through 3 arrival lanes. What craziness. Made it without a hitch but it just drives home the point that I am most definitely a country boy.

My son and I will probably do some squirrel hunting after lunch tomorrow. I will start the day cooking as the wife and I are the major contributors to the cooking process for the noon meal. Not turkey…just a whole chicken we will roast. The only time we have had turkey the past 20 years was the year I smoked a turkey in Oklahoma and brought it to Kentucky. It was good but I still prefer chicken. If I wasn’t OCD I’d have ham every Thanksgiving…and Christmas…and Easter…and a random Sunday. I like ham. Brined, city ham.

But we’ll do the traditional roasted bird with dressing and other trimmings. I’ll bake a pumpkin pie tonight and it will be just right by lunch tomorrow. That’s for my son as it is one of his favorite, traditional pieces of the meal. We will make a cranberry concoction for my FIL and mashed potatoes for the MIL. I cherish each one of these holidays as there are only so many left…fewer before us than behind us.

The FIL and I went squirrel hunting yesterday for a little while. We got two. Maybe tomorrow and Friday with the son here (he has better eyes) we’ll get a few more. I always like to take a load of Kentucky squirrels back to Oklahoma. I use these Kentucky squirrels to make squirrel and dumplings for my family reunion in August. It is the Choctaw side of the family and those Indians will lick the platter clean, as the saying is.

I’ll be busy tomorrow … all day, weather permitting. Hope everyone reading this MySpace (great name for it, Mr. Niblick) thread has a happy Thanksgiving.

We picked up the offspring at Nashville airport last night. Nothing like moving an inch at a time for an hour and a half off the interstate, through the exit and finally through 3 arrival lanes. What craziness. Made it without a hitch but it just drives home the point that I am most definitely a country boy.

My son and I will probably do some squirrel hunting after lunch tomorrow. I will start the day cooking as the wife and I are the major contributors to the cooking process for the noon meal. Not turkey…just a whole chicken we will roast. The only time we have had turkey the past 20 years was the year I smoked a turkey in Oklahoma and brought it to Kentucky. It was good but I still prefer chicken. If I wasn’t OCD I’d have ham every Thanksgiving…and Christmas…and Easter…and a random Sunday. I like ham. Brined, city ham.

But we’ll do the traditional roasted bird with dressing and other trimmings. I’ll bake a pumpkin pie tonight and it will be just right by lunch tomorrow. That’s for my son as it is one of his favorite, traditional pieces of the meal. We will make a cranberry concoction for my FIL and mashed potatoes for the MIL. I cherish each one of these holidays as there are only so many left…fewer before us than behind us.

The FIL and I went squirrel hunting yesterday for a little while. We got two. Maybe tomorrow and Friday with the son here (he has better eyes) we’ll get a few more. I always like to take a load of Kentucky squirrels back to Oklahoma. I use these Kentucky squirrels to make squirrel and dumplings for my family reunion in August. It is the Choctaw side of the family and those Indians will lick the platter clean, as the saying is.

I’ll be busy tomorrow … all day, weather permitting. Hope every reading this MySpace (great name for it, Mr. Niblick) thread has a happy Thanksgiving.
I could not, would not eat a squirrel, it’s like eating dog or cat to me. Squirrels are my friends.

I could not, would not eat a squirrel, it’s like eating dog or cat to me. Squirrels are my friends.

Lol…I am a conglomeration of both sides of my family. Both sides ate squirrel. My mom’s side ate mostly small game and game birds as none of them hunted deer. My dad’s side hunted everything. Squirrel is my favorite wild game to eat. In my opinion it is the tastiest. Deer would follow up at second place. They say the apple doesn’t fall too far from the tree and it is very true in my case. My son will break that mold though. When I am too old to hunt I’m sure he will quit it altogether.

It’s been a nice Thanksgiving day. My FIL, wife and I cooked the Thanksgiving meal this morning and then the FIL, son and I went squirrel hunting this afternoon after lunch. Lots of great interaction with my family and friends back home via Facebook.

Shooting squirrels in southern KY is a challenge! First, you can see through the woods here for a long ways. It’s good for spotting squirrels but it also means they can spot you. Most of the shots we get are at least 50 yards, most of the time more like 70. Trying to hit a squirrel in the head or even the chest at that range is really stretching the limits of my ability and my 22’s accuracy. We have harvested a few but we have seen so many more than we have taken. On the upside, most of what we have gotten have been young so they’ll be nice and tender. Definitely not dumpling squirrels.

We’ll go one more time tomorrow. It is raining now and that is a good thing. It should soften the leaves and make our approach more quiet. Maybe I can get closer to them. My wife and MIL are planning to go shopping somewhere. Mostly they’ll go out to eat somewhere. Probably to Red Lobster (I know that makes east coast folks laugh) because that is my MIL’s favorite place to go. We will all travel home Saturday. We’ll drop the kid at the airport in Nashville as we head south then hit I-40 West…back to God’s country. ;) It’s been a good week.

This is why we can't ban firearms in America.
The good Reverend will starve to death, and the heartland will become completely overrun with squirrels.

Still, I would recommend that the exuberant M16 afficionados stick to headshots or there won't be much squirrel left to eat.

This is why we can't ban firearms in America.
The good Reverend will starve to death, and the heartland will become completely overrun with squirrels.

Still, I would recommend that the exuberant M16 afficionados stick to headshots or there won't be much squirrel left to eat.

Lol...Really did make me laugh. I have no use for M-16 type weapons...I'll stick to my Savage 22/410 combo gun for squirrels. Working with my young dog after work yesterday afternoon and got one with it. They're pretty scarce here this year. Might have known since I have a pup to train. He's learning though.

The boy is sick. Running a fever and head cold symptoms. Lots of flu and some COVID going around here. It's the first time he's been sick while away at college so it's all I can do to keep my wife from taking time off and driving the 150 miles to take care of him. As it is, she ordered some food, a thermometer and some medicine from Walmart to be delivered to his apartment this afternoon. Hoping that'll fix him up. Can't say that I'm not worrying about him as well, but she is definitely going into full mother-mode. I'm sure he'd rather she didn't show up to mother him in front of his roommates...two of whom are sick as well.

If I make it through to Christmas break without catching something I'll be surprised. Many of my students are barking like seals today so I've sanitized my room and the chairs and tables between classes. My Geometry group is taking a test right now which is why I have time to post this time of day. They're mostly not coughing, sneezing, sniffing or snorting. Gotta love Winter.

Gotta love Winter.

Well, that would make one of us.

When my son was a senior in college, he caught adult chicken pox. What a mess. There wasn't much he could do but keep his fever down and wait it out.
His mother was frantic, and I was perplexed. I had chicken pox when I was eight. With an adult college senior, you're more afraid of him catching STDs, no?

Anyway, I kept his apartment stocked and checked in on him, but there wasn't much more that I could do.
I had to inform his unit that he would miss his Army Reserve meeting, but that was about it.
And then that passed as well.

Your son is younger than mine was so you probably worry even more.

Ah the joys of working at a small school. We are hosting an invitational basketball tournament this week so I’ll be working late on Tuesday and then I’ll have to work Saturday night. That’s ok, I don’t have to deal with a lot of “off the wall” discipline issues. While it is still hard to motivate kids to want to learn Geometry and Algebra at least I don’t have many unsolicited classroom interruptions while doing it. Also one of my Geometry kids turns 16 today. I made him a cake. Another reason I like small community life.

The missus and I plan to go to Fort Smith tonight and buy stuff for the angels we adopted off of the angel tree. We always have a lot of fun doing that. With just one grown kid and no grandchildren in the foreseeable future it’s fun to shop for a couple of strangers. We have an 8 year old and 15 year old this year…both boys. Looking forward to our shopping date tonight and hopefully a decent supper out. I’ll let the wife choose where. Gonna be a busy week.

Back