Software engineers aren't real engineers

MAGA MAN

Let's go Brandon!
1. Computer engineering isn't an ABET accredited curriculum, like electrical engineering is, so few, if any, are able to obtain a professional license. In most states, therefore, it is illegal to call yourself an engineer without a license.
2. They are constantly putting out crappy versions of their products, that crash and burn. Then they just design a "fix" and require the customer to install it. In the fields of real engineering, such ethics are not tolerated, and they would be forced from the practice. Imagine if the Ford Motor Company routinely put out products that fail routinely. They would have been put out of business decades ago.

1. Computer engineering isn't an ABET accredited curriculum, like electrical engineering is, so few, if any, are able to obtain a professional license. In most states, therefore, it is illegal to call yourself an engineer without a license.
2. They are constantly putting out crappy versions of their products, that crash and burn. Then they just design a "fix" and require the customer to install it. In the fields of real engineering, such ethics are not tolerated, and they would be forced from the practice. Imagine if the Ford Motor Company routinely put out products that fail routinely. They would have been put out of business decades ago.

Like Don Quixote, it appears you are shadow boxing wind mills.

I think all of the universities I attended or worked at had a computer science department, and what they offered was a bachelors degree in computer science.

Like Don Quixote, it appears you are shadow boxing wind mills.

I think all of the universities I attended or worked at had a computer science department, and what they offered was a bachelors degree in computer science.

What does that have to do with engineering?

Well, my husband is a software engineer/systems architect. His BS is in industrial engineering, so he is, in fact, a bona fide engineer. He knows over a dozen computer languages including Cobol, SQL, C Sharp, etc. and has written a couple of proprietary ones as well for a system he designed for CIGNA. I think your bitch is with software companies and not software engineers.

Building a large software application is far more challenging that building a car, as far as getting out a "bug free" product.

No, but I don't see how that makes the creator less skilled.

Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't. How many new cars crash en masse on their way home from the dealer's showroom?

How many bridges fall into the river the moment someone walks across?

How many building collapse as soon as the tenants move in?

Yet I can't think of a single software program that isn't buggy as fuck, and most (if not all) of them require constant patches to fix shit that the designers didn't get right before they released it.

So "Bobb" the boob is FOS, in my experience.

Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't. How many new cars crash en masse on their way home from the dealer's showroom?

How many bridges fall into the river the moment someone walks across?

Only a fcking moron would compare a bridge to a large software application. Are you a fcking moron? Bridges are very simple and do only one thing. Have you written a large bug-free software application, or you just a fcking moron who has no ability to even begin to grasp the complexity of software?

Only a fcking moron would compare a bridge to a large software application. Are you a fcking moron? Bridges are very simple and do only one thing. Have you written a large bug-free software application, or you just a fcking moron who has no ability to even begin to grasp the complexity of software?

Bridges aren't simple. They are exposed to the elements and are expected to be abused for 50 years before replacement.

Boeing is in big trouble because of a software problem. Two planes down in as many weeks, 300 souls gone. Go ahead, tell me that software is more complex than the world's most successful commercial airliner.

Exposed to the elements? I guess we should use cement instead of paper. That was easy.

Cement is glue. Bridges are made of concrete, and reinfoced by steel. Both products made by real engineers and misunderstood by many.

Back