Software engineers aren't real engineers

Very few Chemical Engineers or Material Engineers are PE’s. Those are ABET accredited curriculums. Are you saying they are not Engineers? Professional Engineers are licensed because they serve the public for which they take an oath to make public service they’re highest priority. The Engineers ring represents that oath. However an engineer with an ABET accredited degree who does not serve the public is no less an engineer. They are just not licensed to serve the public. I’ve worked with a lot of Engineers and though PE’s are uniformly top notch, some of the best I’ve worked with we’re not PE’s.

If they make shit that routinely breaks like software then no, they're not real engineers.

no true scotsman fallacy.

No. There are plenty of real engineers who make things that don't routinely break or leave people stranded on the side of the road. If software engineers made airplanes they'd be dropping out of the sky every day. Oh wait, this actually happened twice, planes dropping out of the sky, by bad software designed by people who like to call themselves engineers. But they are not...

No. There are plenty of real engineers who make things that don't routinely break or leave people stranded on the side of the road. If software engineers made airplanes they'd be dropping out of the sky every day. Oh wait, this actually happened twice, planes dropping out of the sky, by bad software designed by people who like to call themselves engineers. But they are not...

This software engineer makes airplanes. I haven't had one drop out of the sky yet.

I don't make airplanes for Boeing or Airbus.

I don't put software in charge of the primary flight controls either.

1. Computer engineering isn't an ABET accredited curriculum, like electrical engineering is, so few, if any, are able to obtain a professional license. In most states, therefore, it is illegal to call yourself an engineer without a license.
2. They are constantly putting out crappy versions of their products, that crash and burn. Then they just design a "fix" and require the customer to install it. In the fields of real engineering, such ethics are not tolerated, and they would be forced from the practice. Imagine if the Ford Motor Company routinely put out products that fail routinely. They would have been put out of business decades ago.

Hardware- Software- Has to be engineered- even their sales and installations have to be engineered!

This software engineer makes airplanes. I haven't had one drop out of the sky yet.

I don't make airplanes for Boeing or Airbus.

I don't put software in charge of the primary flight controls either.

Why not? Mechanical engineers have done it since the Wright brothers.

what's wrong. can't code?

LOL! You hit that nail on the head!

tenor.gif

1. Computer engineering isn't an ABET accredited curriculum, like electrical engineering is, so few, if any, are able to obtain a professional license. In most states, therefore, it is illegal to call yourself an engineer without a license.
2. They are constantly putting out crappy versions of their products, that crash and burn. Then they just design a "fix" and require the customer to install it. In the fields of real engineering, such ethics are not tolerated, and they would be forced from the practice. Imagine if the Ford Motor Company routinely put out products that fail routinely. They would have been put out of business decades ago.

Edsel. Pinto, as examples. Many auto companies and brands are out of business. GM ended Pontiac, Fiero, Corvair, Oldsmobile and many others.Nothing special about the big 3. they all have totally missed trends like small cars when the oil crisis hit.

Edsel. Pinto, as examples. Many auto companies and brands are out of business. GM ended Pontiac, Fiero, Corvair, Oldsmobile and many others.Nothing special about the big 3. they all have totally missed trends like small cars when the oil crisis hit.

You're confusing engineering with marketing, bean counting and maybe a few more professions.

Back