Solving Human Problems through transforming Human Attitudes

Zombie, yes, universal life as a whole, we are all one family in that we are all human and rely on one another. When one forgets that, they become selfish and are only looking out for one's own interests. Take LadyT's mother for example in a thread seperate from this one. She has forgotten the importance of her daughters life in her own, and took advantage of the fact that LadyT is a direct relative and can be made to feel obligated to go to her. The mother is looking out for herself and her selfish interests in the short-term but has not concentrated what may happen long-term by doing this to her daughter.

Naturally, people desire to be free, Zombie. I would never advocate a society where we are all subject to one person's decisions. We are all equals in that we are all human. My fellow Buddhists in Tibet currently want independence from the communist nation of China, and would like a democracy installed.

But there are whole societies who do not agree with the value you place on freedom. They want to subject you to theocracy, or fascism, or communism, or some other form of totalitarianism. Should we resist them?

Last edited:
But there are whole societies who do not agree with the value you place on freedom. They want to subject you to theocracy, or fascism, or communism, or some other form of totalitarianism. Should we resist them?
I think your definition of "freedom" is too narrow. Individual freedom may mean one thing to you yet something quite different to someone else, especially someone of a very different culture.

Can you give an example of such a society?

Yeah, it says I think people should strive to get what they want, inside a moral framework.

What do you think it says?

Selfishness is the root cause of much "immorality"

Morality is such a nebulous term. My morality is not your morality but we could both be very moral people.
the mythical Satan has morals and ethics....

Selfishness is the root cause of much "immorality"

Morality is such a nebulous term. My morality is not your morality but we could both be very moral people.
the mythical Satan has morals and ethics....

Yes, but selfishness can be constrained to function within certain parameters. It's called morals or standards for behavior.

A certain amount of selfishness is the very driving force of life: the selfishness of eating, of having sex, of planning to acquire future resources.

This is why your brand of "enlightenment" is actually death-worshipping nihilism.

I absolutely agree, without selfishness there would be no self preservation and then what would happen to the species?

Absolutely, of course you should resist them. When China invaded Tibet, we had tryed to resist as well, however we were not well prepared for them. The tradition of forceful resistance to tyranny is very old in Tibet. There are even Tantric Buddhist texts which gave “formulae for killing unjust kings” written in the first century. I also tryed to build up a defense for Tibet by calling on Nepal and Bhutan to help us trian and raise an army. That went ignored and the Tibetan dignataries were sure the Gods would save Tibet so they refused to build up an army as well. It is the responsibility of those who to control the land to protect it.

Correct, but it is out of balance lately.

Selfishness is greed. Greed is good ?

you're out of balance. Moral codes are how we decide what is TOO MUCH selfishness. It's a line we determine as individuals and as a society. You want to abandon the limit setting and just pronounce all selfishness wrong. You villify life.

But moral codes change and our moral codes allow much more greed than they used to. Thought I would state it that way in hopes that you might comprehend.

Morals are totally variable. Satan is a moral man /deity/ ?? by his morals.

But moral codes change and our moral codes allow much more greed than they used to. Thought I would state it that way in hopes that you might comprehend.

Morals are totally variable. Satan is a moral man /deity/ ?? by his morals.

Yes I agree. But it's the erosion of morality that is the problem. Morals constrain selfishness. Can you comprehend that? Attacking "selfishness" is moronic.

Yes I agree. But it's the erosion of morality that is the problem. Morals constrain selfishness. Can you comprehend that? Attacking "selfishness" is moronic.
If you admit that morality is changeable how can you even talk about erosion of morality with a straight face? To be sure, I've no idea whether you posted that with a straight face or not but let's pretend, shall we? It's more fun that way.

What you're calling the "erosion of morality" is nothing more than normal tidal change. It's evolution in action, my man. Vive le difference!

If you admit that morality is changeable how can you even talk about erosion of morality with a straight face? To be sure, I've no idea whether you posted that with a straight face or not but let's pretend, shall we? It's more fun that way.

What you're calling the "erosion of morality" is nothing more than normal tidal change. It's evolution in action, my man. Vive le difference!

You're making no sense. Of course it's changeable, and it's changing to a lower level. I'm perfectly consistent. A lower level means people are unable to trust each other less and are moving towards a more animal like barbaric state.

Conservatives want moral attitudes to stay the same, they will not. The only constant in morals is change.

But it remains the fact that only trust and honesty between individuals will keep a society and a people strong.

There is a concerted effort to erode morality to destroy our society and reduce us to reactionary short-sighted animals. This trend could be reversed.

And BTW, I believe most conservatives are being led astray into a value system of elitist amoral corporatism, which is firmly at odds with the true message of Jesus Christ, whom they claim to value.

But it remains the fact that only trust and honesty between individuals will keep a society and a people strong.

There is a concerted effort to erode morality to destroy our society and reduce us to reactionary short-sighted animals. This trend could be reversed.

I cannot disagree with that. Excwept to say I hope the destructive aspects can be reversed. But if they are they change slowly and must be done by the people, leglislating morality does not really work.

And BTW, I believe most conservatives are being led astray into a value system of elitist amoral corporatism, which is firmly at odds with the true message of Jesus Christ, whom they claim to value.

AMEN to That. Even though I don't believe, I have eyes.

I cannot disagree with that. Excwept to say I hope the destructive aspects can be reversed. But if they are they change slowly and must be done by the people, leglislating morality does not really work.

So laws against murder, stealing, etc are ineffective and should be removed?

Back