Starting a Sovereign Nation?

Sorry...
I was laughing about Dr. Evil having a web site. I am not laughing at B's desire to go off and start his own country. I've wished I could do that occasionally myself.

But, here's the thing about that...

WHY? As against working to change the things you don't like in THIS country?

Now, it's true that (assuming you get that far) that if you somehow managed to pull it off, you and your friends could set it up any way you wanted it. But, the fewer the people, the easier it would be for someone else, even a turncoat friend, to change it in ways you don't like. Then what have you accomplished? Going from small fish in big pond to big fish in small pond to (maybe) small or dead fish in small pond - because there certainly wouldn't be anyone (US Justice System) looking out for your safety and freedoms.

In fact, you'd better put personal security (bodyguards - police force - paramilitary?) right at the top of your priority list, because other idealists might have other ideas. Then there are the chances some powerful company/industry/country would just wait to see if you have anything worth taking and then take it away from you.

There is a reason you don't see very many of the 70's communes still around. They didn't provide the utopian solutions some of the young hippies thought they would.

Signed - Old Hippie.

Sorry...
I was laughing about Dr. Evil having a web site. I am not laughing at B's desire to go off and start his own country. I've wished I could do that occasionally myself.

Now, it's true that (assuming you get that far) that if you somehow managed to pull it off, you and your friends could set it up any way you wanted it. But, the fewer the people, the easier it would be for someone else, even a turncoat friend, to change it in ways you don't like. Then what have you accomplished? Going from small fish in big pond to big fish in small pond to (maybe) small or dead fish in small pond - because there certainly wouldn't be anyone (US Justice System) looking out for your safety and freedoms.

In fact, you'd better put personal security (bodyguards - police force - paramilitary?) right at the top of your priority list, because other idealists might have other ideas. Then there are the chances some powerful company/industry/country would just wait to see if you have anything worth taking and then take it away from you.

There is a reason you don't see very many of the 70's communes still around. They didn't provide the utopian solutions some of the young hippies thought they would.

Signed - Old Hippie.
We plan to have a decently powerful military, to defend us. That said, I do agree, if you are not happy with something, change it. But It's not that I'm mad at America, I just want to help the people of this place better than their current government does.

Sorry...

Signed - Old Hippie.

"There is a reason you don't see very many of the 70's communes still around. They didn't provide the utopian solutions some of the young hippies thought they would."

Just ask Wandering Bear, who was kicked out his commune and ended up living in a basement.
You'll have to wait until he posts from the library and they may have just taken out a court order, to limit how long he lives is allowed to be in the building.

Back