Steven Hawking vs. Ludwig Wittgenstein

Very good. Wittgenstein is one of my favorite philosophers. Ironically, considered a founder of positivism who was critical of worshipping science.

I think kind of a myth has grown up around science, because of it's extraordinary success in improving technology, and the undeniable effectiveness of the inductive approach to acquiring knowledge.

The myth that germinated from this success is that the scientific method can, does, or will, ultimately empirically explain everything about reality and the human experience.

I think kind of a myth has grown up around science, because of it's extraordinary success in improving technology, and the undeniable effectiveness of the inductive approach to acquiring knowledge.

The myth that germinated from this success is that the scientific method can, does, or will, ultimately empirically explain everything about reality and the human experience.

Wittgenstein said somewhere, that even if science answers all of its questions we still have learned nothing about human experience.

6.52 We feel that even when all possible scientific questions have been
answered, the problems of life remain completely untouched.

https://archive.org/stream/tractatuslogicop05740gut/tloph10.txt

Back