Study finds that Republicans swallow fake news more than Democrats

Joe Capitalist

Racism is a disease
https://apple.news/A1WkHgp-CQSqYz05bqUMi4g

A study released this week offers more evidence that “both-sidesism” does not belong in an honest discussion of fake news and propaganda in the U.S. People on the Right are simply more apt to fall for it than those on the Left, the research shows, and for a number or reasons.
Susceptibility to conspiracy theories and fake news has already been linked by researchers to people in minority groups and lower income brackets. And higher income, higher education levels, and whiteness have been linked to greater resistance to such beliefs. But linking the appetite for, and susceptibility to, fake news and propaganda to Republicanism has until now been elusive.
“We found some of it on both sides, on the left and the right,” says RAND researcher and report author Luke Matthews. “But we found more of it on the Trump voting Republican side.”
The researchers surveyed 1,333 Americans from a carefully balanced set of demographic groups from February 26 through March 13, 2019. Respondents who had internet access took an online survey; those who didn’t were provided a tablet computer on which to respond to questions.
RAND sat out to find what kinds of cognitive bias and reasoning functionality were most reliably associated with susceptibility to misinformation in different kinds of people.
“Cognitive biases” are “systematic patterns of deviation from norm and/or rationality in judgment,” says the Handbook of Evolutionary Psychology. RAND screened for a number of bias types, including “ingroup bias,” which refers to tendencies to lean toward beliefs favored by groups that share a “language, religion, or nationality.”
The researchers also looked for connections between people’s comfort level with numbers, or science, or “magical thinking” and the propensity for believing misinformation. As it turned out, Matthews tells me, it was the presence or absence of these reasoning abilities that provided the best predictors of people’s susceptibility to misinformation.
It found–not surprisingly–that people who demonstrated more numeric and scientific literacy, and less magical reasoning, were less likely to swallow misinformation and disinformation. And it found these people collected in certain demographic and political groups.
“Resistance to Truth Decay . . . was associated with having a higher income, identifying as White, voting for Clinton in 2016, and being less religious,” the report states. By “truth decay” RAND means, broadly, a willingness to believe falsehoods, and a resistance to authoritative sources of information such as scientists and other experts.

Something everyone on the left has known for the past three decades or more.

For me, it started becoming apparent right around the time Rush Limbaugh started getting famous by spouting lies, distortions and fabrications on the radio for three hours a day, five days a week.

I think he is responsible for kicking into high gear what began with Morton Downey Jr.

Something everyone on the left has known for the past three decades or more.

For me, it started becoming apparent right around the time Rush Limbaugh started getting famous by spouting lies, distortions and fabrications on the radio for three hours a day, five days a week.

I think he is responsible for kicking into high gear what began with Morton Downey Jr.

Yep!

The term swiftboating (also swift-boating or swift boating) is a pejorative American neologism used to describe an unfair or untrue political attack. The term is derived from the name of the organization "Swift Boat Veterans for Truth" (SBVT, later the Swift Vets and POWs for Truth) because of their widely publicized—and later discredited—campaign against 2004 U.S. presidential candidate John Kerry.

Since the political smear campaign that the group conducted against Kerry, the term has come into common use to refer to a harsh attack by a political opponent that is dishonest, personal, and unfair. The Swift Boat Veterans and media pundits objected to this use of the term to define a smear campaign.

BUT THE SWIFTBOAT ATTACKS WORKED AND THE REPUBLICANS ADDED SWIFTBOATING TO THEIR POLITICAL STRATEGY PLAYBOOK- AND HAVE USED IT IN EVERY ELECTION SINCE!

During the Limbaugh era, it was referred to as HATE RADIO!

The term SWIFTBOATING has been modernized and has morphed into what is now referred to as FAKE NEWS- PROJECTING- Conspiracy Theories- TRUMPTARDATION- ETC.

Last edited:
Study finds that Republicans swallow fake news more than Democrats

Well now- you must be the exception to the rule.

Haw, haw........................................haw.

A study released this week offers more evidence that “both-sidesism” does not belong in an honest discussion of fake news and propaganda in the U.S. People on the Right are simply more apt to fall for it than those on the Left, the research shows, and for a number or reasons.
Susceptibility to conspiracy theories and fake news has already been linked by researchers to people in minority groups and lower income brackets. And higher income, higher education levels, and whiteness have been linked to greater resistance to such beliefs. But linking the appetite for, and susceptibility to, fake news and propaganda to Republicanism has until now been elusive.
“We found some of it on both sides, on the left and the right,” says RAND researcher and report author Luke Matthews. “But we found more of it on the Trump voting Republican side.”
The researchers surveyed 1,333 Americans from a carefully balanced set of demographic groups from February 26 through March 13, 2019. Respondents who had internet access took an online survey; those who didn’t were provided a tablet computer on which to respond to questions.
RAND sat out to find what kinds of cognitive bias and reasoning functionality were most reliably associated with susceptibility to misinformation in different kinds of people.
“Cognitive biases” are “systematic patterns of deviation from norm and/or rationality in judgment,” says the Handbook of Evolutionary Psychology. RAND screened for a number of bias types, including “ingroup bias,” which refers to tendencies to lean toward beliefs favored by groups that share a “language, religion, or nationality.”
The researchers also looked for connections between people’s comfort level with numbers, or science, or “magical thinking” and the propensity for believing misinformation. As it turned out, Matthews tells me, it was the presence or absence of these reasoning abilities that provided the best predictors of people’s susceptibility to misinformation.
It found–not surprisingly–that people who demonstrated more numeric and scientific literacy, and less magical reasoning, were less likely to swallow misinformation and disinformation. And it found these people collected in certain demographic and political groups.
“Resistance to Truth Decay . . . was associated with having a higher income, identifying as White, voting for Clinton in 2016, and being less religious,” the report states. By “truth decay” RAND means, broadly, a willingness to believe falsehoods, and a resistance to authoritative sources of information such as scientists and other experts.

If you are on social media, it's easy to test this out with your own group of associates. I'll use my own as an example. Oddly (hahahaha) most of my social media friends are left-leaning, probably at a ratio of 10:1 or so. Even with the top-heavy number of lefties, the ones most often reposting debunked nonsense are the righties. It's not just political posts, either. It's everything from product safety to health issues to rumors about something about to be discontinued to sports to current events to international news.

Geeko Sportivo said:
BUT THE SWIFTBOAT ATTACKS WORKED AND THE REPUBLICANS ADDED SWIFTBOATING TO THEIR POLITICAL STRATEGY PLAYBOOK- AND HAVE USED IT IN EVERY ELECTIONS SINCE!

Just like the everyday character assassinations practiced by the Jewish fascists and the current Democrat vilification of Russia.

You call it ' swift-boating ' NOW- , dumbass, but it's as old as politics.

Et tu, Brutus ?

Last edited:
No, but a hard right conservative who almost certainly votes Republican being honest enough to admit it is unusual and unexpected.

Yeah, is pretty revealing that a MAGA admits that Republicans swallow fake news more than Democrats. Of course, the first step of recovery is to admit you have a problem. Maybe there's hope for Matt Dildo.

Just like the everyday character assassinations practiced by the Jewish fascists and the current Democrat vilification of Russia.

You call it ' swift-boating ' NOW- , dumbass, but it's as old as politics.

Et tu, Brutus ?

No, I just call it lying!

According to Luke J. Matthews, Andrew M. Parker, Katherine Grace Carman, Rose Kerber, and Jennifer Kavanagh, who cited Wikipedia, and ran "models" based on polling questions?

:palm:

I'm still waiting for Desh to post the proof she said she had for this claim:

there was a recent study done and republicans are far more racist than black people

If you are on social media, it's easy to test this out with your own group of associates. I'll use my own as an example. Oddly (hahahaha) most of my social media friends are left-leaning, probably at a ratio of 10:1 or so. Even with the top-heavy number of lefties, the ones most often reposting debunked nonsense are the righties. It's not just political posts, either. It's everything from product safety to health issues to rumors about something about to be discontinued to sports to current events to international news.

For the sake of discussion please allow me to ask this. Whether one is on the right or left if you’re in a group with 10:1 people thinking one way do you think if the majority believes something others in that group will call them out? I mean if I believe something, and others who think like me believe the same thing, are we really going to think we’re believing fake news?

I’ll just use one example. I preface by saying clearly there are issues with policing in this country. When it comes to police killing unarmed black men the Washington Post posted the numbers and a couple of years ago the number was like 13 and didn’t vary much from that in different years. Yet I would read these threads on Facebook (of which people I know participated in) were talking about cops killing hundreds, if not thousands, of unarmed black men each year. And no one stepped in and said that’s inaccurate and you’re spreading misinformation.

Whether it’s peer pressure or just tribalism to not want to speak out amongst like minds but it’s an issue

It's more than that. (R)s also are easy marks for conmen like #TRE45ON.

talk-to-the-hand.gif

lol.

make me laugh, russiagater.

For the sake of discussion please allow me to ask this. Whether one is on the right or left if you’re in a group with 10:1 people thinking one way do you think if the majority believes something others in that group will call them out? I mean if I believe something, and others who think like me believe the same thing, are we really going to think we’re believing fake news?

I’ll just use one example. I preface by saying clearly there are issues with policing in this country. When it comes to police killing unarmed black men the Washington Post posted the numbers and a couple of years ago the number was like 13 and didn’t vary much from that in different years. Yet I would read these threads on Facebook (of which people I know participated in) were talking about cops killing hundreds, if not thousands, of unarmed black men each year. And no one stepped in and said that’s inaccurate and you’re spreading misinformation.

Whether it’s peer pressure or just tribalism to not want to speak out amongst like minds but it’s an issue

Apples and oranges. I am merely pointing out that even though my social media group is heavily left-biased, it is the RW ppl who tend to post more urban legend/debunked rumor type things. That isn't to say that lefties aren't guilty of that too. It's just that the RW "fake news" gets repeated far more often, despite the fact that most of the posts that I see are from LWers. As for pointing out false crap, I make no discrimination at all in countering it no matter who posts it.

According to Luke J. Matthews, Andrew M. Parker, Katherine Grace Carman, Rose Kerber, and Jennifer Kavanagh, who cited Wikipedia, and ran "models" based on polling questions?

:palm:

I'm still waiting for Desh to post the proof she said she had for this claim:

That post is from 2013

Back