Supreme Court upholds Photo-ID law for Indiana voters

Little-Acorn

It's about time. Now maybe other states will start requiring Photo ID's too, so that Senor Pancho Villa of Tijuana can't waltz in to a precinct, glance at the voter lists on the table, and announce he is Ellsworth Codrington III and vote; then go into another, do the same, and vote as Sylvester Q. Stallone etc., as he currently can in the California precincts I've seen.

In most states Photo IDs are free, have nothing to do with drivers licenses, and many will bring them to your house so that the elderly, handicappped etc. don't have to leave home to get them.

Naturally, Democrats are screaming bloody murder, complaining that this will cut out a lot of their usual voter base. Well, I can't argue with that. Laws that punish criminal and civil offenders often do hit disproportionate numbers of Democrats. Apparently the Democrats agree. Too bad, so sad.

---------------------------------

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080428/ap_on_go_su_co/scotus_voter_id

Supreme Court upholds photo ID law for voters in Indiana

by MARK SHERMAN, Associated Press Writer
April 28, 2008
5 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - The Supreme Court ruled Monday that states can require voters to produce photo identification without violating their constitutional rights, validating Republican-inspired voter ID laws.

In a splintered 6-3 ruling, the court upheld Indiana's strict photo ID requirement, which Democrats and civil rights groups said would deter poor, older and minority voters from casting ballots. Its backers said it was needed to deter fraud.

It was the most important voting rights case since the Bush v. Gore dispute that sealed the 2000 election for George W. Bush.

The law "is amply justified by the valid interest in protecting 'the integrity and reliability of the electoral process,'" Justice John Paul Stevens said in an opinion that was joined by Chief Justice John Roberts and Anthony Kennedy.

Justices Samuel Alito, Antonin Scalia and Clarence Thomas also agreed with the outcome, but wrote separately.

Justices Stephen Breyer, Ruth Bader Ginsburg and David Souter dissented.

More than 20 states require some form of identification at the polls. Courts have upheld voter ID laws in Arizona, Georgia and Michigan, but struck down Missouri's. Monday's decision comes a week before Indiana's presidential primary.

The case concerned a state law, passed in 2005, that was backed by Republicans as a way to deter voter fraud. Democrats and civil rights groups opposed the law as unconstitutional and called it a thinly veiled effort to discourage elderly, poor and minority voters — those most likely to lack proper ID and who tend to vote for Democrats.

There is little history in Indiana of either in-person voter fraud — of the sort the law was designed to thwart — or voters being inconvenienced by the law's requirements.

"We cannot conclude that the statute imposes 'excessively burdensome requirements' on any class of voters," Stevens said.

Someone do me a solid and compare the concurring opinion of Scalia in this case with the majority opinion in Bush v. Gore. My sense is that the differences int he treatment of infringements on voting rights are striking.

This opinion is insane. The court comes up with one single instance of in-person vote fraud occurring in the United States in recent years (that's one person, a measly single vote) and none in the history of Indiana, yet upholds the law anyway?

It's laughable.

Sounds like a lawyer who hasn't read a law but is full of assumption about it.

You sound like someone who accepts ideological assumptions without yourself investigating its truth.

There have been few if any cases of people voting when they shouldn't.

Americans don't enjoy the process of voting that much as evidenced by our consistent low turnout.

Additionally, this law still leaves the backdoor of absentee voting wide open which would seem more prone to voting fraud. But of course they would leave that door open because it's used by republican far mpre than anyone else.

This opinion is insane. The court comes up with one single instance of in-person vote fraud occurring in the United States in recent years (that's one person, a measly single vote) and none in the history of Indiana, yet upholds the law anyway?

It's laughable.

The only thing laughable is the Dems constant whining about voter verification via photo IDs. Get everyone an ID and require people to present it when voting. If the Dems took the time and money they spend fighting this issue and get IDs for the supposed disenfranchised voters without IDs, the damn issue would be resolved.

You sound like someone who accepts ideological assumptions without yourself investigating its truth.

Americans don't enjoy the process of voting that much as evidenced by our consistent low turnout.

Additionally, this law still leaves the backdoor of absentee voting wide open which would seem more prone to voting fraud. But of course they would leave that door open because it's used by republican far mpre than anyone else.
Which doesn't change what I said about the law or about Jarod in this instance. Now, let me poke fun at my lawyer friend without your interference!

:tongout:

As it stands giving people an ID when they register to vote for free just isn't the negative you suggest it is.

It's laughable.

Obviously Damo is unaware of this.

The fraud of electronic paperless, auditless voting represents are FAR more credible threat to outcomes than this bullshit .. yet the SC ignores that threat to democracy.

The only thing laughable is the Dems constant whining about voter verification via photo IDs. Get everyone an ID and require people to present it when voting. If the Dems took the time and money they spend fighting this issue and get IDs for the supposed disenfranchised voters without IDs, the damn issue would be resolved.

There is provable cases of fraud and provable cases of the potential for fraud with electronic voting .. yet your only problem seems to be with democrats .. who, by the way, have been proven correct on many issues that affect our democracy.

Right. The records of dead people voting in Chicago, Philadelphia, etc. year after year, are all made up, it never happened, yup, yup. Move along, folks, nothing to see here. :rolleyes:

BTW, I assume you'd agree, then, that laws restricting "assault rifes" and .50-cal rifles are equally silly, since few if any such rifles have ever been used in crimes (a statistic actually true for a change in this thread)?

Obviously Damo is unaware of this.

The fraud of electronic paperless, auditless voting represents are FAR more credible threat to outcomes than this bullshit .. yet the SC ignores that threat to democracy.
LOL.

Apparently you know nothing about me and make assumptions. Ad hominem without evidence is wasteful and creates enmity where none previously existed.

I agree that all voting should be changed to reflect the ability of people to negatively effect the 'sanctity' of the vote.

I believe that any machine with no paper trail should be trashed. I think that those with paper trails should have results double-checked automatically against simple machine counts.

Right. The records of dead people voting in Chicago, Philadelphia, etc. year after year, are all made up, yup, yup. :rolleyes:

BTW, I assume you'd agree, then, that laws restricting "assault rifes" and .50-cal rifles are equally silly, since few if any such rifles have ever been used in crimes (a statistic actually true for a change in this thread)?

Acorn - Not to be a piss ant or anything, but I assume that the lawyers arguing the case all the way up to the Supreme Court put the evidence that they had of voter impersonation on the table. The court, in upholding the law and citing the danger of voter fraud, cites to a single instance. One single voter. That's it.

In all likelihood, in instances where you have dead people voting they do it by absentee ballot, not by getting an impersonator to show up at the polling place. It's a lot easier, a lot more effective, a lot less likely to get caught and less likely to do jail time.

There is provable cases of fraud and provable cases of the potential for fraud with electronic voting .. yet your only problem seems to be with democrats .. who, by the way, have been proven correct on many issues that affect our democracy.

Incorrect. I have stated many times that we should be using electronic machines ONLY if they have the paper trail to be audited. I believe the best are the scantronic machines. Fill out a scan card. (for Floridians... an extra step... verify you are not an idiot by making sure you voted correctly) Put it in the machine, it displays what your card read. You hit ok if correct. Done.

Side note... the Dems are also wrong on many issues that effect our democracy.

Second side note... this thread was on the use of voter IDs.... which is why I addressed that issue specifically. Had it been on voter fraud in general and all the issues that need to be corrected, then I would have addressed my response accordingly.

Which doesn't change what I said about the law or about Jarod in this instance. Now, let me poke fun at my lawyer friend without your interference!

:tongout:

As it stands giving people an ID when they register to vote for free just isn't the negative you suggest it is.

The law does not require the state to give people anything.

Where have you read that it does?

The law does not require the state to give people anything.

Where have you read that it does?

Indiana provides IDs free of charge to the poor and allows voters who lack photo ID to cast a provisional ballot and then show up within 10 days at their county courthouse to produce identification or otherwise attest to their identity.

Stevens said these provisions also help reduce the burden on people who lack driver licenses.

and

"The universally applicable requirements of Indiana's voter-identification law are eminently reasonable. The burden of acquiring, possessing and showing a free photo identification is simply not severe, because it does not 'even represent a significant increase over the usual burdens of voting.'" - Justice Scalia

(both of these are from the original story)

Do you even read the story before you start in on ad hominems? I don't think you do.

Plus you didn't even really read the post, or see his answer. It was play between friends that you are interjecting into with pompous, and totally incorrect, assumptions.

Incorrect. I have stated many times that we should be using electronic machines ONLY if they have the paper trail to be audited. I believe the best are the scantronic machines. Fill out a scan card. (for Floridians... an extra step... verify you are not an idiot by making sure you voted correctly) Put it in the machine, it displays what your card read. You hit ok if correct. Done.

Side note... the Dems are also wrong on many issues that effect our democracy.

Second side note... this thread was on the use of voter IDs.... which is why I addressed that issue specifically. Had it been on voter fraud in general and all the issues that need to be corrected, then I would have addressed my response accordingly.

The entire issue about voter-id is about the potential for voter fraud .. which ignores the greater potential for massive voter fraud that could impact outcomes on a much greater scale.

It is not inconsistent within the argument about voter fraud to actually talk about real voter fraud.

Your agrument was that democrats are the problem, when in fact it has been the democrats and activist who have addressed the problem of REAL voter fraud.

Next we will have to show a pictured id at the grocery store, to get food, then while standing on the corner if approached by authorities...

yeah, I love having the thought of showing my "papers" to the gestapo every move I make, while all starting by requiring a government pictured id at the voting booth that never had a problem in the first place with voter identification theft or fraud at the polls....

makes ALOT of sense to me.... NOT!

It stops no fraud at the booth....so WHY INSIST ON IT? Who do you think you will stop from voting?

Why do it? Why add another level of bureaucracy to our government if it doesn't produce anything?

To stop voter fraud of immigrants, we would be better off doing voter registration reform, requiring a birth certificate when registering....to stop illegals.

Right now, illegals have driver's licences and can easily register to vote with such and also would have the PROPER voter gvt picture id at the polls...it won't stop the illegal from voting, SOOOOOO WHY ARE YOU all that accept this measure, accepting it as though it is something that will do us good, in society?

Yet is really a "set up" to get us more and more comfoprtable to "show our Papers" to the Gestapo when asked or required.

This IS NOT the land of the free imo and I would urge all of you to ask yourself why, you accept this measure, when it does NOTHING to prevent the true voter fraud that is taking place? Why???

Care

Last edited:
Back