Supreme Court upholds Photo-ID law for Indiana voters

BTW, why is it that needing a (free) photo ID to exercise your Constitutional right to vote, is an "excessive Burden" that infringes that right......

....but requiring three forms of ID, six sets of fingerprints, a criminal background investigation, a state permit, a city permit, a character reference from the chief of law enforcement of your county, and a $200 Federal tax stamp to exercise your Constitutional right to keep and bear a small-arms weapon like an M16, **NOT** an infringement on your 2nd amendment rights? But merely a "reasonable restriction"?
LOL.

BTW, why is it that needing a (free) photo ID to exercise your Constitutional right to vote, is an "excessive Burden" that infringes that right......

....but requiring three forms of ID, six sets of fingerprints, a criminal background investigation, a state permit, a city permit, a character reference from the chief of law enforcement of your county, and a $200 Federal tax stamp to exercise your Constitutional right to keep and bear a small-arms weapon like an M16, **NOT** an infringement on your 2nd amendment rights? But merely a "reasonable restriction"?
wowzers! I could not have said it any better myself.

In KY you either show your voter registration card which everyone gets that registers to vote or your DL. But if they know you they just find your name in the book you sign and vote.

Do you AGREE with what you have to go through to own a gun?

Perhaps there is a difference between:

shall not be infringed (right to bear arms)

vs

Shall not be abridged? (right to vote)

There is also history of us in the South, making up one rule after another on voting to KEEP people from voting....

Voting is much more essential to our rights in a Democracy than owning a gun...at least with voting we have representation to change any of the laws and restrictions of owning a gun.

IF THERE IS NO VALID REASON to insist a person has a gvt Real ID in the voting place, where your birth certificate and social security card and phone bill is no longer valid proof that you are the person on the voter roll....

you have to ask yourself, is THE ONLY REASON for the republicans to be pushing this measure, pushing it because they know they can disenfranchise Democratic leaning voters that live in cities, or poor Indians on reservations, or the poor blacks and hispanics and whites that have never learned to drive?

THAT'S MY only conclusion.....

SETTING THIS UP RIGHT NOW, GIVES ANYONE WITH MONEY OR A CAR an advantage on voting verses the person that now has to go out of their way to get some picutred gvt id....they are at a disadvantage.

Can you say "papers please"....asked by the gestapo?

care

Last edited:
you have to ask yourself, is THE ONLY REASON for the republicans to be pushing this measure, pushing it because they know they can disenfranchise Democratic leaning voters that live in cities, or poor Indians on reservations, or the poor blacks and hispanics and whites that have never learned to drive?

care

If the state is providing the ID for free, how is that infringing upon or disenfranchising anyone?

Also... the law says a state issued photo ID... that photo ID does not have to be a drivers license.

A-FUCKING-MEN brother!

If the state is providing the ID for free, how is that infringing upon or disenfranchising anyone?

Also... the law says a state issued photo ID... that photo ID does not have to be a drivers license.

what if they don't want the government to have an id of them? Don't they have that right? I guess i grew up in a completely different era than all of you....but I was taught that the gvt did not have that right....that it was us that had a right to privacy.

What does the real id or gvt pictured id do Super? Why do you want them to have it? What is the PURPOSE for the last time....and please answer it.

States that required proof that you were the person on the voter registration roll at the voting precints, accepted your birth certificate or your ss card along with your phone bill or electric bill as ID to show who you were, WHAT is wrong with it staying the same?

AGAIN what is the purpose of requiring people to go out of their way or allow the govt to have a national id card and data base on them, which is where this is leading, in order to vote? That's pure BULL SHIT to me...

AND IT DOES NOT SOLVE ANY MAJOR VOTER FRAUD.....

Which is the lie super, the lie they are telling us and I would like to know WHY they are lying and insisting on this....before I would ever give them the okay and even then would NOT give them the okay...they do NOT have any right or power to demand this from us....and I disagree with the SC in its entirety on this!!!!

So....once again, WHAT IS THE PURPOSE for doing this?

I don't care if the state pays for it, that is not the only thing involved in getting a state id....the person has to take the bus or the train to the driver's licence place and since they do not have a car or driver's licence and if elderly that is not that easy either...and they have to miss work to get there if they are of working age...which they may not get the time off from their employer or a black mark for having to miss work....then they have to wait in line and get the picture taken and all, then they have to wait and catch the bus or train back home.... and the time they have missed from work that one day is 20% of their salary and income for the week....

AND ALL for WHAT? This is what I don't get?

WHY DO YOU want our gvt to have a data base....on you? They can;t even keep secure the records they have now....my husbands records were just snagged/robbed from the VA a few months ago and we are STILL HAVING PROBLEMS with it Super????

just tell me what major fraud that is going on that you think a photo id at the voting booth will stop and tell me why they chose this measure to be their say all and be all on voter reform and ask yourself why has where the true abundant voter fraud takes place, been ignored*?

Care

Last edited:
what if they don't want the government to have an id of them? Don't they have that right? I guess i grew up in a completely different era than all of you....but I was taught that the gvt did not have that right....that it was us that had a right to privacy.

Care
Care, it is unrealistic to pretend that the vote can be safe if you don't have any way to tell how often a person voted.

I can register 7 billion times if there is no way for them to ID me at all. Why have registration at all?

This isn't about the "real ID" this is about actually requiring some sort of Identification to register and vote.

Care, it is unrealistic to pretend that the vote can be safe if you don't have any way to tell how often a person voted.

I can register 7 billion times if there is no way for them to ID me at all. Why have registration at all?

This isn't about the "real ID" this is about actually requiring some sort of Identification to register and vote.

This is most certainly about a national id data base....

The problem with this comes when REGISTERING Damo, NOT when at the polling booth.

As it stands now, on the states that do require id at the booth, the person had to use their birth certificate or SSAN card with an electric bill with their address on it.... soooooooooooo, what will the picture gvt id stop that the birth certificate and electric bill with name on it wouldn;t?

I just want to people to think this through....there is no purpose to it...other than something we are not being told YET....

OR as I said, to make it more difficult on the indigent to vote, or the seniors that do not drive or have never driven to vote or Indians that do not have a gvt id to vote or 18 year olds that do not have a car or access to one to vote?

It is easier NOW for anyone that drives to vote than someone who doesn't, just by the gov accepting their driver's licence automatically, while NOW requiring those that don't drive to go out and get some pictured id that will do nothing that their birthcertificate didn't do already at the polls.

you've given preference to a certain class of people, those that drive and have driver's licences....

anyway, the problem is in registering to vote....not after these people have already been acceopted and registered and their name is on the list as valid, but BEFORE....

Illegals can get drivers licences in 23 states, this does nothing to stop illegals from voting....but proof of citizenship like a birth certificate when registering would stop alot of fraud...

And Damo, that person that registered to vote more than once that you suggest...does he give the same address for each name he registers under?

does he take the chance at the same polling booth with someone recognizing him there earlier?

massachusetts sent us a post card each year we lived there that we had to mail back to them that required us to verify that we still lived at the same address for voting purposes, with a note that said if they did not return this card we would be removed from the voting list at our precinct.

I thought that was pretty demanding of them and once forgot to mail it back and had to make all kinds of phone calls to get it straight again...

care

Last edited:
This is most certainly about a national id data base....

The problem with this comes when REGISTERING Damo, NOT when at the polling booth.

As it stands now, on the states that do require id at the booth, the person had to use their birth certificate or SSAN card with an electric bill with their address on it.... soooooooooooo, what will the picture gvt id stop that the birth certificate and electric bill with name on it wouldn;t?

I just want to people to think this through....there is no purpose to it...other than something we are not being told YET....

OR as I said, to make it more difficult on the indigent to vote, or the seniors that do not drive or have never driven to vote or Indians that do not have a gvt id to vote or 18 year olds that do not have a car or access to one to vote?

It is easier NOW for anyone that drives to vote than someone who doesn't, just by the gov accepting their driver's licence automatically, while NOW requiring those that don't drive to go out and get some pictured id that will do nothing that their birthcertificate didn't do already at the polls.

you've given preference to a certain class of people, those that drive and have driver's licences....

anyway, the problem is in registering to vote....not after these people have already been acceopted and registered and their name is on the list as valid, but BEFORE....

Illegals can get drivers licences in 23 states, this does nothing to stop illegals from voting....but proof of citizenship like a birth certificate when registering would stop alot of fraud...

And Damo, that person that registered to vote more than once that you suggest...does he give the same address for each name he registers under?

does he take the chance at the same polling booth with someone recognizing him there earlier?

massachusetts sent us a post card each year we lived there that we had to mail back to them that required us to verify that we still lived at the same address for voting purposes, with a note that said if they did not return this card we would be removed from the voting list at our precinct.

I thought that was pretty demanding of them and once forgot to mail it back and had to make all kinds of phone calls to get it straight again...

care
Matching up the registration with the person voting is not an "undue burden".

If the person had a right to never be identified that you said he did it wouldn't matter what address this person gave.

Again, it is pretense to say it is a burden on them. They don't even have to pay for the ID, and it isn't always a Driver's license.

Matching up the registration with the person voting is not an "undue burden".

If the person had a right to never be identified that you said he did it wouldn't matter what address this person gave.

Again, it is pretense to say it is a burden on them. They don't even have to pay for the ID, and it isn't always a Driver's license.

you've totally ignored what i mentioned earlier and what they have to do, without access to a car or family with car, to go and get it.....? taking bus or train or who knows what if on a reservation, miss work for the day....lose 20% of their pay for the week....and as i said, make them do something they don't want to do, have a gvt database on them....that's all good enough for me....

they are ALREADY LEGAL CITIZEN REGISTERED VOTERS....and they already have to show proof of who they are in these states....just not a new gvt pictured national/state id....

you didn't answer any of my questions damo....why wouldn't the id's permitted to this point stop the shennanigans you spoke of regarding double voting? IT WOULD and IT HAS.....

why are you not for stopping the fraud at where it begins, at registration?

WHY ARE YOU FOR disenfranchising LEGAL voters, when no measuarable fraud would be stopped by it....ahhhhh just a BIGGGERRRR GVT LOVER....eh? THE MORE POWER THEY HAVE THE BETTER? Well, that ain't for me!

there is no purpose to this measure, therefore it shouldn't be done, is how i view it.

:eek:

care

you've totally ignored what i mentioned earlier and what they have to do, without access to a car or family with car, to go and get it.....? taking bus or train or who knows what if on a reservation, miss work for the day....lose 20% of their pay for the week....and as i said, make them do something they don't want to do, have a gvt database on them....that's all good enough for me....

they are ALREADY LEGAL CITIZEN REGISTERED VOTERS....and they already have to show proof of who they are in these states....just not a new gvt pictured national/state id....

you didn't answer any of my questions damo....why wouldn't the id's permitted to this point stop the shennanigans you spoke of regarding double voting? IT WOULD and IT HAS.....

why are you not for stopping the fraud at where it begins, at registration?

WHY ARE YOU FOR disenfranchising LEGAL voters, when no measuarable fraud would be stopped by it....ahhhhh just a BIGGGERRRR GVT LOVER....eh? THE MORE POWER THEY HAVE THE BETTER? Well, that ain't for me!

there is no purpose to this measure, therefore it shouldn't be done, is how i view it.

:eek:

care
In order to follow the law of the state, once they become 18 they must carry ID anyway. The reality is, what they have to do is no burden whatsoever on them.

Geez, I grew up poor, and yes it is working on my own experience. It is not an undue burden to expect them to have proper identification.

And no. As long as the only "required" identification is a "copy of a bill" sent to their address, it would not stop the shenanigans that have been described in this thread. Nor would it lend itself to any inspection.

LOL @ Damo, do you know how long it would take you to register 7 billion times ?
That wasn't really my point. If there were no Identification as she indicated there would be absolutely nothing stopping anybody from registering manifold times.

Of course you knew that, and were just being a jerk...

That wasn't really my point. If there were no Identification as she indicated there would be absolutely nothing stopping anybody from registering manifold times.

Of course you knew that, and were just being a jerk...

But she did quote identifications methods that have been used for years.

you are being disingenuious.

Or maybe just dissing.

After you nitpicking me on the way the unemployment rate is figured I am being a jerk ? sheesh.

But she did quote identifications methods that have been used for years.

you are being disingenuious.

Or maybe just dissing.
I was direct. I quoted the only thing I was answering. And specifically answered to what I was speaking of.

And the idea that a "copy of an electric bill" would be a "valid identification" that would keep people from registering and voting fraudulently is preposterous. Especially in this day and age when it is so very easily scanned and changed and reprinted. Again, they make it impossible to collect evidence of the fraud then say that because you couldn't collect it, it doesn't exist.

It's rubbish.

This is just a first step. Hopefully we can kill off most mail-in balloting and other messy things.

I was direct. I quoted the only thing I was answering. And specifically answered to what I was speaking of.

And the idea that a "copy of an electric bill" would be a "valid identification" that would keep people from registering and voting fraudulently is preposterous. Especially in this day and age when it is so very easily scanned and changed and reprinted.

you did and you ignored the rest except you were deceptive for implying she had not spoken of alternate forms of identification.

scanned changed and reprinted, well just bounce those agains postal records only so many addresses are valid dude.
My county has far fewer than 7 billion addresses in it.

and you claim to be an engineer.

you did and you ignored the rest except you were deceptive for implying she had not spoken of alternate forms of identification.

scanned changed and reprinted, well just bounce those agains postal records only so many addresses are valid dude.
My county has far fewer than 7 billion addresses in it.

and you claim to be an engineer.
I answered, and answered again.

I can create most of those forms of identification without too much trouble. No, it doesn't stop the fraud.

The reason that I quoted and answered only that one part was because I don't have time at work to spend 60 hours answering a book.

I note that you didn't care that I answered when I could, later, her questions. You pretend that the thread doesn't exist and the one post was in a vacuum.

I answered, and answered again.

I can create most of those forms of identification without too much trouble. No, it doesn't stop the fraud.

The reason that I quoted and answered only that one part was because I don't have time at work to spend 60 hours answering a book.

I appear to be a pill becuse you are becoming more supportive of the neos as the election approaches. It is a relative thing.

fyi I have no problem with the ID laws, we are pretty much there anyway. Just not sure why it has to be a photo ID, the voter registration card they send me should be enough. If they start coming up with 3000 people at the same address that should flag a problem don't ya think ?

I do hate to see ya digging at care though, she is one of the nicest people I know on here.

Back