Teen birth rates highest in most religious states

This is looking at it through the darkest of partisan shaded glasses.

Somebody looking at it through opposite shaded glasses:

These people put their lives where their mouths are, they stick to a belief. While abortion is available they live with the result of poor decisions and take responsibility for their action by giving birth rather than killing a burgeoning life so that they can make their own life easier.

Now something closer to reality:

This isn't taught in the schools, even if they want it to be because the schools have fought it, and those where it is taught at all it is INCLUDED as part of the normal curriculum that also contains condoms, etc. The most likely conclusion is the kids are more often hiding it and making poor decisions because they already know what their parents will have to say and have made a decision to do what they will regardless and hope the consequences they know exist won't catch up with them. Most of them are successful in avoiding the consequences, but there is a higher instance of these circumstances in these places that result from the belief system as well as parents openly speaking against it so that the teen will know what they will say as they venture into "sinful" experimentation.
Again, you didn't read the article closely. The author(s) took this into account and normalized the results for the frequency of abortion and still came up with higher teen pregnancy rates in more religious states.

In am not even getting into the abortion debate. This is solely about how religious indoctrination has failed for kids when they hit puberty. I agree that kids should be encouraged to abstain, but abstinance only education has failed by every measure imaginable. Abstinance+ is the best and should be taught everywhere. But remember, your side also threw a holy shitfit when Elders said that schools should teach masturbation as a valid substitute to sexual intercourse. Your side is the only side that believes if you just don't teach sex ed then kids won't have sex. 1957 proves that is a lie, because there was no sex education then and that was the year with the highest teen pregnancy rates ever in the US.

And only a man could say that having an abortion makes a woman's life easier. Abortion is the last worst choice a woman should ever have to make, but again, it is your side of the political fence that sees pregnancy as a gift, and a baby as punishment for failing to keep your legs closed. You would think that such a beautiful gift would be worthy of societal expendures to make sure that the mother could take care of her "gift" but you conservatives whine, cry and gnash your teeth at that thought almost as much as you do about abortion.
Well said dude! It's a hell of a lot easier to judge people then it is to walk the talk, aint it?

Again, you didn't read the article closely. The author(s) took this into account and normalized the results for the frequency of abortion and still came up with higher teen pregnancy rates in more religious states.
And you haven't read any further and are starting to talk about things that have already been answered.

I have yet to hear anybody suggest that abstinence only should replace sex education in the schools, this is my point. It is a straw man to suggest that it is all they hear, and because of that they get pregnant. In all cases that I have heard the argument made they ask that abstinence be included in and not replace the current curriculum and in no place that I know of is abstinence-only actually taught, except maybe parochial schools.

I don't think it is the fact that they don't know about contraception that gets the kids pregnant, or keeps them from abortions when they do become pregnant. I think this is a short-sided view based on your negative view of religion in politics, one that you and I both share, I just don't allow that to cloud my understanding of those religious people that I know, nor to dismiss their argument using a straw man like this one.
You aint been listening dude. During the Bush administration Abstinence only education was exactly what they were advocating.

You aint been listening dude. During the Bush administration Abstinence only education was exactly what they were advocating.
And you aren't now. It was never implemented anywhere as far as I know, what they "advocated" is neither here nor there.

And again, those who I heard speak and advocate on abstinence programs wanted it INCLUDED in, not REPLACING, the current programs.

Catch up, then answer. Please.

Well yea actually it is a good thing. Sex is a wonderfull thing and young people should and will enjoy it.

You're fooling yourself. Sex with a partner you are committed to and love is a good thing. But people are having sex with people they wouldn't trust their credit card number to. That is NOT a good thing, that is a simple biological experience of orgasm. You can get better on any roller coaster ride........it lasts longer.....or sprinkle some pepper on your eggs and sniff....a sneeze may not last long, but it certainly is safer.....

and who says we don't?.....we have plenty of assistance for single mothers....but here's a deal....will you agree to end all abortions if we increase support?....

Increase support? You have to forgive me for being skeptical after seeing the Repubs going on and on regarding the "Joe, the Plumbers" tax increase of 0.12%.

Repubs increasing assistance to unwed mothers? Not in our lifetime.

You either didn't read the article or you don't understand statistics. The results were normalized for abortion. So even with that adjustment religious states had a higher teen pregnancy rate.

So what? At least they don't kill their unborn babies or use infanticide to kill the babies already born.

Well they did not want anything else taught. So it sure looked like abstinance only to me.

No condoms, no pills, etc.

Even if condoms were mentioned I wonder how many parents would blow a gasket if they caught their son or daughter with a condom. I wonder how many parents of teens ask them if they have a condom, just in case, before the teen goes out on a Saturday night.

I read about a teenage girl who miscarried in the washroom at a school dance. She left the "evidence" there and returned to the dance. When asked about her pregnancy she said she didn't tell her family because it would have broken her father's heart.

Imagine the guilt and psychological damage done to that girl. I wonder how many families operate in a similar fashion.

You better ask Obama. He knows all about it.

HUH? You seemed to know all about it.

I was just hoping it came in repellent strength to use in restaurants to keep the free roaming brats away.

I was busy eating a nice dinner in a restaurant last week and a brat sneaked up and grabbed my chair controls and rammed me into the table. It's parents acted like it was my fault.

I almost had them charged with assault, but relented.

Last edited:
Increase support? You have to forgive me for being skeptical after seeing the Repubs going on and on regarding the "Joe, the Plumbers" tax increase of 0.12%.

Repubs increasing assistance to unwed mothers? Not in our lifetime.

Liberals agree to stop killing the unborn?....Not in my lifetime, but hopefully I will live long enough to see you stopped....

Back