That 'C'-Word Thang

Just pointing out that not all uses of the word are negative

That's right, it's a lot like the debate going in within the black community about the use of the N word. With some feeling that using the word themselves, they rob it of its power. And others very passionately arguing that it doesn't. I have strong opinions that with its ugly history, it simply should not be used, but I don't get involved in the debate because it's within the black community, I can't possibly have walked in their shoes, and emotions run high on the question. I figure, best to keep my mouth shut, wtf do I know about being black in America and how or whether the n word should or shouldn't be used?

YOu know what I mean?

That's right, it's a lot like the debate going in within the black community about the use of the N word. With some feeling that using the word themselves, they rob it of its power. And others very passionately arguing that it doesn't. I have strong opinions that with its ugly history, it simply should not be used, but I don't get involved in the debate because it's within the black community, I can't possibly have walked in their shoes, and emotions run high on the question. I figure, best to keep my mouth shut, wtf do I know about being black in America and how or whether the n word should or shouldn't be used?

YOu know what I mean?

You basically think like a racist. To believe that you can never understand because you're not black is an assertion of intrinsic unbreachable difference between races. It's a racist thought. But then again, you are a racist.

wow, I was trying to think of a funny way to call gonzo gay.
And here he is talking about cypress's penis, uhh thanks gonzo.

To me it's simple math, men who degrage woman take themselves out of the equation in the pursuit of the hot ones. Thanks again Gonzo, you've graduated from whistling rudely at a hottie passing to the disdain of all woman within your audible range. You're type has giving me a lifetime of more hoties than I deserve. BAM!!!

To me it's simple math, men who degrage woman take themselves out of the equation in the pursuit of the hot ones. Thanks again Gonzo, you've graduated from whistling rudely at a hottie passing to the disdain of all woman within your audible range. You're type has giving me a lifetime of more hoties than I deserve. BAM!!!

You're a fool with his nuts in a jar.

Top, you are welcome to keep anyone you meet on the internet (the only people I have alienated).

YOu know what I mean?

Are you really comparing the word "cunt" (a word that, despite what feminists would like us to believe, does not have a history of oppression any more than the word "fuck) to racism?

I'm going to have to call bullshit on that.

Are you really comparing the word "cunt" (a word that, despite what feminists would like us to believe, does not have a history of oppression any more than the word "fuck) to racism?

It would be interesting to trace its history though. It could be telling.

To say that it doesn't have gender or sexist connotations, and has had copious past usage in that vein, is beyond stupid.

That's a pretty thin defense, there...

It would be interesting to trace its history though. It could be telling.

From the Old English "cunte", original meaning "delicate thing".

My guess is that with the rise of Protestantism it became obscene, as the Protestants are more likely to take issue with profanity; also, the heavy Puritan influence on the world during the 17th century could have something to do with it.

To say that it doesn't have gender or sexist connotations, and has had copious past usage in that vein, is beyond stupid.

That's a pretty thin defense, there...

Well, first of all you can't tell me what connotations it has-- connotations are formed on an individual basis.

As far as it being sexist, I would say that it refers more to a part of the body more than a particular sex, although there is no question that women are more likely to get offended by this than men. I think it is similar (but more weighted) to calling someone an asshole (which, incidentally, is the curse word that really makes my blood boil).

Well, first of all you can't tell me what connotations it has-- connotations are formed on an individual basis.

).

Um, yeah - and if it has a long history of sexist connotations both with those using it & those on the receiving end (a very observable phenomenon), then that is relevant. It hardly matters what connotations it has to you.

In fact, "cunt" wasn't considered obscene until the 17th Century. The earliest known reference in English is to a street frequented by prostitutes called "Gropecuntlane." Which sounds like a Monty Python joke, but it's not. (Sound it out.) In fact, according to some etymologists, "cunt" was not used as a term of abuse for a woman until the 20th century. Before that it only referred to a part of the body.

http://www.gurl.com/findout/label/pages/0,,674960,00.html

This site is using the book that Socrtease posted as a reference (I think it is the same book).

So I was right, it started during the 17th century and apparently didn't become a "misogynistic" term until the 20th century--- which basically means it became dirty when women became liberated enough that they could not like it, convincing legions of Cyprisses that "cunt" is the worst thing to ever enter into civilisation.

Socrtease...

As for WWJT in your sig...

The answer is everybody who doesn't believe in Him. If you don't believe where do you go? It ain't pretty brudda....

Um, yeah - and if it has a long history of sexist connotations both with those using it & those on the receiving end (a very observable phenomenon), then that is relevant. It hardly matters what connotations it has to you.

Are masculine and feminine nouns from other languages sexist?

No. Referring to closet gay rightwingers, such as Larry Craig, Ted Haggard, or You, as senoritas or chicas is mildly amusing, but hardly inflammatory.

But prick and cunt are just insults with the noun gender matching the person. It's no different.

No. Referring to closet gay rightwingers, such as Larry Craig, Ted Haggard, or You, as senoritas or chicas is mildly amusing, but hardly inflammatory.
So. I can call somebody a sooka and it won't hurt anybody's feelings?

Socrtease...

As for WWJT in your sig...

The answer is everybody who doesn't believe in Him. If you don't believe where do you go? It ain't pretty brudda....
Jesus gets a pass on that though. YOu don't believe YOU got to hell and Lucifer/Satan tortures you. Sort of a extraordinary celestial rendition.

Back