The bible

If you knew anything about Christinity, you wouldn't be an atheist

I know a lot about chemistry, but I am not a chemist.

Anyone who wants to be knowledgeable about the history of Europe, Asia, Middle East needs to have a decent working knowledge of Christianity, Buddhism, and Islam.

are you denying the heretics were thrown out?.....

No, I'm denying your concept that heresy was heresy at the beginning. MANY of what you call heresies were not initially heresies. They were just different variants of Christianity.

EVEN YOUR OWN BIBLE (if you'd read it) has stories of how the faith was forming. Paul disagreed strongly with some of the Jerusalem Christians over the status of Gentiles or if circumcision was necessary for one to be a Christian.

And that doesn't even begin to cover the centuries of debates and codifications.

But your faith came to you through COMMITTEES. Committees of humans.

EVEN THE BIBLE TODAY has a slightly different version for Catholics than it does for Protestants.

Ebionites, an early ascetic sect of Jewish Christians. The Ebionites were one of several such seats that originated in and around Palestine in the first centuries AD.

They believed in one God and taught that Jesus was the Messiah and was the true “prophet” mentioned in Deuteronomy 18:15. They rejected the Virgin Birth of Jesus, instead holding that he was the natural son of Joseph and Mary. The Ebionites believed Jesus became the Messiah because he obeyed the Jewish Law. They themselves faithfully followed the Law, although they removed what they regarded as interpolations in order to uphold their teachings.

The early Ebionite literature is said to have resembled the Gospel According to Matthew, without the birth narrative. Evidently, they later found this unsatisfactory and developed their own literature—the Gospel of the Ebionites—although none of this text has survived.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Ebionites

What's your point?

What's your point?

It is in response to the conversation about how early Christianity had a variety of different views of Jesus' relationship to God.

There were a larger number of sects of early Christianity which had radically different views of Christs' "divine nature". Was he homouoisious with God? Was he subordinate to God? Was he a sub-god?

It is part of the history of the early Church and how the orthodoxy we have today came into being over decades and centuries.

What's your point?
We just wandered through 30 pages of posts about whether there were ever any Christian sects with a different conception of the nature of divinity and humanity in Jesus.

The Ebionite Christians thought of Jesus was born naturally to a human mother and human father and he was a human prophet who only was infused with divine favor after his execution and resurrection.

It is in response to the conversation about how early Christianity had a variety of different views of Jesus' relationship to God.

There were a larger number of sects of early Christianity which had radically different views of Christs' "divine nature". Was he homouoisious with God? Was he subordinate to God? Was he a sub-god?

It is part of the history of the early Church and how the orthodoxy we have today came into being over decades and centuries.

The fact that the bible mentions Jesus has siblings is a pretty clear indication to me that the historic Jesus was born naturally to a human mother and father who also bore his siblings.

We just wandered through 30 pages of posts about whether there were ever any Christian sects with a different conception of the nature of divinity and humanity in Jesus.

The Ebionite Christians thought of Jesus was born naturally to a human mother and human father and he was a human prophet who only was infused with divine favor after his execution and resurrection.

Modern Gnostic Christians recognize the old naturalist ways in Christianity, before they foolishly began to believe in the supernatural and create a problem of evil.

In nature, there is no problem of evil. Christians forget that there is none in their religion either.

They have forgotten why they sing of Adam's sin being a happy fault and necessary to God's plan.

Be it natural or supernatural, Christianity can argue their position but have forgotten how to do apologetics.

Here is the real way to salvation that Jesus taught.

Matthew 6:22 The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.

John 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

Romans 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

Allan Watts explains those quotes in detail.

The bible just plainly says to put away the things of children. The supernatural and literal reading of myths.

Gnosis enlightens adults.

Regards
DL

Jesus was either who he said her was or wasn't.
You go on and on with others opinions but hedge on your own.

Modern Gnostic Christians recognize the old naturalist ways in Christianity, before they foolishly began to believe in the supernatural and create a problem of evil.

In nature, there is no problem of evil. Christians forget that there is none in their religion either.

They have forgotten why they sing of Adam's sin being a happy fault and necessary to God's plan.

Be it natural or supernatural, Christianity can argue their position but have forgotten how to do apologetics.

Matthew 6:22 The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.

John 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

Romans 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

The bible just plainly says to put away the things of children. The supernatural and literal reading of myths.

Regards
DL

Your spin

We don't know what Jesus said.

He never wrote a single word.

What we have are writings of educated Greek-speakers decades later who are telling stories about their interpretation of the life and sayings of Jesus.

The fact that John varies substantially from Mark tells us that there were different interpretations. John tells a story about Jesus being coequal and coeternal with God. Mark's story suggests Jesus was born human and only became the adopted son of God at his baptism by his cousin John.

Should the final judgement be based on morals?

The Roman and Armageddon Jesus might be seen as evil for that pending mass murder, while the Gnostic Christian Jesus might be seen as better because he said in the bible, that he comes to cure, not to kill.

If you only see a good Jesus in the bible, you are not looking the moral way.

Regards
DL

We don't know what Jesus said.

He never wrote a single word.

What we have are writings of educated Greek-speakers decades later who are telling stories about their interpretation of the life and sayings of Jesus.

The fact that John varies substantially from Mark tells us that there were different interpretations. John tells a story about Jesus being coequal and coeternal with God. Mark's story suggests Jesus was born human and only became the adopted son of God at his baptism by his cousin John.

So you claim the Bible isn't accurate

Should the final judgement be based on morals?

The Roman and Armageddon Jesus might be seen as evil for that pending mass murder, while the Gnostic Christian Jesus might be seen as better because he said in the bible, that he comes to cure, not to kill.

If you only see a good Jesus in the bible, you are not looking the moral way.

Regards
DL

The final judgement is very simple.
Those that eat the flesh and drink the blood of the
Passover Lamb,will be Passed Over by the Passover Angel.
Those that Don't will be gathered and burned in the pit.

Regards
DL

The Gnostics were an unusual branch of early Christianity, they didn't believe the God of the Old Testament was the same as the God of the New Testament, and they believed salvation lay in the knowledge Jesus imparted, not based on faith and grace.

Back