The coffee and tea thread

Legion

Oderint dum metuant
iu

I love coffee and tea, and am always exploring new ways to brew both.

Please post your favorite methods and preferred blends ITT, and please don't troll.

iu

Please post your favorite methods and preferred blends ITT, and please don't troll.

The overall best taste is fresh ground beans in the french press method. I bought a burr grinder for making the specified course grounds but it ended up grinding it inconsistent and leaving silt in my coffee. So it's hit and miss based on how much you spend on a good grinder. You can also prepare tea this way but it's a pain to clean the stuck leaves.

Here are some great choices.

Best coffee, it's roasted to order and sold 1-6 pounds. I bought 5 https://www.ebay.com/itm/1132744855...rentrq:4fa1363517e0acb4adc52d5dffd3f15c|iid:1

Best tea. https://smile.amazon.com/Harney-Son...d_rd_i=B00ACRA8MQ&psc=1&ref_=pd_bap_d_rp_52_t

The overall best taste is fresh ground beans in the french press method. I bought a burr grinder for making the specified course grounds but it ended up grinding it inconsistent and leaving silt in my coffee. So it's hit and miss based on how much you spend on a good grinder. You can also prepare tea this way but it's a pain to clean the stuck leaves.

Best coffee, it's roasted to order and sold 1-6 pounds. I bought 5 https://www.ebay.com/itm/1132744855...rentrq:4fa1363517e0acb4adc52d5dffd3f15c|iid:1

Best tea. https://smile.amazon.com/Harney-Son...d_rd_i=B00ACRA8MQ&psc=1&ref_=pd_bap_d_rp_52_t

Thanks for your contribution.

I have tried grinding freshly-roasted beans, but it's inconvenient for me to find a roaster whose product is available in the small batches I want for the sake of freshness. I'm also having issues with roasters who are experiencing supply shortages of my preferred blend. That's not all bad, because it forced me to try what's available, and sometimes I discover new tastes I might have missed otherwise.

Is your grinder ceramic or steel-bladed?

As to tea, I utilize loose leaf whenever time permits. I have found that using a Chatsford teapot minimizes any mess. Unfortunately, the manufacturer has moved production out of the UK and their quality has suffered as a result. I am extra-careful to preserve my English-made Chatsfords because an equivalent replacement is no longer available. I'm also found of vintage Sadler teapots, many of which will accept the Chatsford infuser.

I do not care for tea in any form (makes me a heretic down south here).

I like coffee though my wife more accurately observed that I like flavored creamer with some coffee in it.

Used to splurge on Jamaican Blue Mtn or Kona from time to time but I just run Seattle's Best in my Keureg these days and, yes, put far more Italian Sweet Cream creamer in it.

Not fancy but I like it.

I do not care for tea in any form (makes me a heretic down south here).

I like coffee though my wife more accurately observed that I like flavored creamer with some coffee in it.

Used to splurge on Jamaican Blue Mtn or Kona from time to time but I just run Seattle's Best in my Keureg these days and, yes, put far more Italian Sweet Cream creamer in it.

Not fancy but I like it.

I tried K-cup coffee and still drink it from time to time when I'm out, but water quality is an issue since maintaining a Keurig properly is more trouble than it's worth, IMO.

Enjoyment is what it's all about in the end.

Thanks for your contribution.

I have tried grinding freshly-roasted beans, but it's inconvenient for me to find a roaster whose product is available in the small batches I want for the sake of freshness. I'm also having issues with roasters who are experiencing supply shortages of my preferred blend. That's not all bad, because it forced me to try what's available, and sometimes I discover new tastes I might have missed otherwise.

Is your grinder ceramic or steel-bladed?

As to tea, I utilize loose leaf whenever time permits. I have found that using a Chatsford teapot minimizes any mess. Unfortunately, the manufacturer has moved production out of the UK and their quality has suffered as a result. I am extra-careful to preserve my English-made Chatsfords because an equivalent replacement is no longer available. I'm also found of vintage Sadler teapots, many of which will accept the Chatsford infuser.

The small-batch thing is best if you have a local cafe that roasts. Otherwise, there are online places that roast to order. Coffee Fool is one that comes to mind.

I believe I have a ceramic bur grinder but I can't remember for sure. If I could go back maybe I'd spend a little more than the $58 I did.

I bet those teapots will start to be like Fender guitars and be desirable to have them from their original country of manufacture.

I tried K-cup coffee and still drink it from time to time when I'm out, but water quality is an issue since maintaining a Keurig properly is more trouble than it's worth, IMO.

Enjoyment is what it's all about in the end.

yes, the water matter is real. you have to be a pretty regular drinker to have a decent shot at staying ahead of the curve on that. Its just me heer now and I'm more of an occasional coffee drinker these days so its more effort keeping the reservoir up to snuff.

Can you suggest a simple alternative, one that gives me the ability to nudge up the flavor a bit ? little choice in the k-cups.

The small-batch thing is best if you have a local cafe that roasts. Otherwise, there are online places that roast to order. Coffee Fool is one that comes to mind.

Yes, that's what I do, but several have succumbed to the rash of small business owners closing because of lockdowns/lack of employees, etc. I'm reluctant to use a mail=order supplier for a variety of reasons.

I believe I have a ceramic bur grinder but I can't remember for sure. If I could go back maybe I'd spend a little more than the $58 I did.

It makes a discernible difference IMO, but either type blade is OK if you replace the blades as needed, which isn't easy to do on bargain-priced grinders. That's why I usually get the roaster to grind small batches for me on demand. Storing larger amounts defeats the purpose of using freshly ground beans.

I bet those teapots will start to be like Fender guitars and be desirable to have them from their original country of manufacture.

No doubt. I have dozens of vintage teapots for exactly that reason. The composition, design, and manufacturing have to be consistent, and the news ones just don't measure up.

There's a real decline in quality. The new ones craze, even though I always pre-heat before use, and the spouts are inconsistent, so the new ones tend to leak and dribble.

yes, the water matter is real. you have to be a pretty regular drinker to have a decent shot at staying ahead of the curve on that. Its just me heer now and I'm more of an occasional coffee drinker these days so its more effort keeping the reservoir up to snuff. Can you suggest a simple alternative, one that gives me the ability to nudge up the flavor a bit ? little choice in the k-cups.

I've had great success using bottled spring water and the pour over method.

I have tried a variety of brewing methods for my coffee. While the french press is probably the best (or a Moka), they don't provide the volume I want. I drink coffee all morning.

I also think one of the greatest inventions of modern man is the timer setting on a drip coffee maker. Fresh coffee ready when I wake up? Manna from Heaven! The second greatest invention is the little lever on the brew basket that lets you get your first cup before the pot is finished brewing.

For my french press and moka, I like dark roast Ethiopian beans. But I typically reserve that for camping. Sitting outside with that dark ambrosia is good for the soul.

My daily coffee is a blend of equal parts Folgers Black Silk and Gevalia Espresso roast. Delicious dark roast with little to know effort.

yes, the water matter is real. you have to be a pretty regular drinker to have a decent shot at staying ahead of the curve on that. Its just me heer now and I'm more of an occasional coffee drinker these days so its more effort keeping the reservoir up to snuff.

Can you suggest a simple alternative, one that gives me the ability to nudge up the flavor a bit ? little choice in the k-cups.

We have a Berkey water filter beside our kitchen sink. There is a noticeable difference in taste. Makes great coffee, and even better tea.

I have tried a variety of brewing methods for my coffee. While the french press is probably the best (or a Moka), they don't provide the volume I want. I drink coffee all morning.

I also think one of the greatest inventions of modern man is the timer setting on a drip coffee maker. Fresh coffee ready when I wake up? Manna from Heaven! The second greatest invention is the little lever on the brew basket that lets you get your first cup before the pot is finished brewing.

For my french press and moka, I like dark roast Ethiopian beans. But I typically reserve that for camping. Sitting outside with that dark ambrosia is good for the soul.

My daily coffee is a blend of equal parts Folgers Black Silk and Gevalia Espresso roast. Delicious dark roast with little to know effort.

I like coffee from a French press, too, but you'r right about the volume.

I have found that I can brew larger volumes into a vacuum flask using the pour over method with good results. Keeps the coffee fresh and hot for hours before I need to brew more.

Can't read the original post, but I'll take a shot.

I drink hot coffee all year, including July and August. Don't like it cold.
When I worked or was in school, it may have been six or seven cups a day, maybe eight.
Now, it's probably four at most, usually.

At home, I use Dunkin Donuts K Cups. Bottled water.
No sugar ever.
Cream (not milk) in the morning coffee. We don't have milk in the house.
Sambuca in the after dinner coffee at night.

As for tea, I only drink it in Chinese restaurants.
Or in Commonwealth nations at 4PM if on holiday---when in Rome as they say.

iu

I use to love the French Press and dark roasted coffees, but alas my stomach and blood pressure now requires I use light and medium roasted coffees, I found a local, small business whose beans are easy on me. I also now brew my coffee with a Ninja brew center. The coffee is not too bad.

I definitely have a favorite tea, It’s Market Spice! It’s a black tea with lovely cinnamon and orange flavoring! It’s heavenly.

I would say I drink a pot of coffee a day. No sugar or cream. All I need is roasted beans, water, and heat.

Being a southerner, I was raised on iced sweet tea. After I gave up sugar I mostly gave on iced tea. I still occasionally have a cup of hot tea in the evening.

Thanks for the coffee suggestion, I researched, it’s low acidity! Much appreciated.

I use to love the French Press and dark roasted coffees, but alas my stomach and blood pressure now requires I use light and medium roasted coffees, I found a local, small business whose beans are easy on me. I also now brew my coffee with a Ninja brew center. The coffee is not too bad.

I definitely have a favorite tea, It’s Market Spice! It’s a black tea with lovely cinnamon and orange flavoring! It’s heavenly.

The stomach issue is one thing. But the high blood pressure is about the amount of caffeine. There is more caffeine in light and medium roasts. "The darker the bean the less caffeine" Caffeine is found in the oil of the coffee beans. The darker the bean is roasted the more of the oil that is lost.

I found that if you add a pinch of large-flake sea salt and pour the brew through a coffee filter, the acidity is gone while the flavor remains.

I tried Chai for the first time a couple of years ago and to my surprise, I liked it. Now I drink some each day, although black tea is still my favorite.

Back