The coffee and tea thread

The Ultimate Moka Pot Technique

James Hoffman founded the British coffee company Square Mile and has been at the forefront of java lore for nearly two decades.

Hoffman knows what it takes to make a good cup of coffee. He started his YouTube channel in 2014, but before that, he already had a successful blog on the topic.

“Coffee is a huge industry, and a huge part of so many people’s lives,” says Hoffmann, “but compared to food, there’s just not that much online.”

What may be most attractive about his channel is that Hoffmann has a strong conviction that everyone should be able to make a great cup of coffee with whatever they have—he’s not about slapping down money on the most expensive or the newest piece of coffee-making tech.

Hoffmann teaches how to make good coffee using things almost everyone either has on their counter or in their office.

Using his expertise, Hoffmann teaches you how to get the right coffee-to-water ratio, and how to properly swirl-bloom filter coffee and why you should do so.

Even if you’re not a coffee drinker, you’ll find value in Hoffmann’s videos. You may not apply what he has to teach, but you can still enjoy his style and his passion. Give his videos a watch, and you’ll soon discover how a good cup of coffee can be.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMb0O2CdPBNi-QqPk5T3gsQ

I appreciate it.

Have you ever tried cowboy coffee?

I did try that, not so good.

I have a countertop percolator. I like it! Also a regular drip maker.

Stove/campfire-type percolators. None look like what that guy has, I just took the basket out and tried it with the cold water and all.. Meh. Next time use the basket, fuck that.

He also has a biscuits and gravy video I think.

I did try that, not so good.

I have a countertop percolator. I like it! Also a regular drip maker.

Stove/campfire-type percolators. None look like what that guy has, I just took the basket out and tried it with the cold water and all.. Meh. Next time use the basket, fuck that.

He also has a biscuits and gravy video I think.

His YouTube channel is awesome.

I drink between 6 and 15 cups of coffee a day depending on my activity. I drink Maxwell House or Community coffee brewed in a Mr. Coffee in the morning and throughout the day I mostly use a Keurig or a Keurig type machine. Again, in the Keurig it’s Maxwell House or Community.

I grew up with a diabetic mom so we drank unsweetened iced tea but through the years I have learned to like sweetened iced tea also. My preference for that is Lipton. On rare occasions, usually during cold weather, I drink a cup of hot tea with a dab of cream and sugar. Earl Grey is my preference for that.

Interesting thing about my coffee is that all my life I drank it black …. until 18 years ago when I quit smoking. I always had my morning coffee on the front porch with a cigarette. Even now, 18 years later, when I have a cup of black coffee I crave a cigarette. So now I always add a bit of non-dairy creamer to it.

Have you tried bulletproof coffee?

I have a percolator and a Keurig. I usually drink decaf. Lately I've used Nutpods as creamer to reduce carbs. Only drink coffee when it's cool weather, once the hot temps return I will not drink it for months.

Costco is my favorite place to shop for coffee. Back when I used to grind my beans, I tried coffees from all over the world.

My favorite is Kona, but a little secret- Coffee beans from New Guinea are so close to Kona- it's hard to tell the difference.

I like the medium roast variety. And I prefer to French Press it!

There are some Mexican Coffees at Costco that are very good- as good as Colombian in my opinion.

Lipton tea is fine- but sometimes I like the Earl Grey.

Discovered that I like Iced tea- WITH A SHOT OR TWO OF Buchanan's Two Souls! I just stumbled onto it!

Costco is my favorite place to shop for coffee. Back when I used to grind my beans, I tried coffees from all over the world.

My favorite is Kona, but a little secret- Coffee beans from New Guinea are so close to Kona- it's hard to tell the difference.

I like the medium roast variety. And I prefer to French Press it!

There are some Mexican Coffees at Costco that are very good- as good as Colombian in my opinion.

Lipton tea is fine- but sometimes I like the Earl Grey.

Discovered that I like Iced tea- WITH A SHOT OR TWO OF Buchanan's Two Souls! I just stumbled onto it!

Have you ever tried Blue Mountain beans from Jamaica?

https://cafewilliamspartivento.com/en/product/costco-blue-mountain-100/

https://www.costco.co.uk/Grocery-Ho...tain-10-Blend-Whole-Bean-Coffee-907g/p/468577

No but my brother-in-law gave me some Black Rifle coffee. It was good.

https://www.blackriflecoffee.com/

Black Rifle Coffee Company is about an hour and a half away from me up in Georgia. I stop there whenever I'm on my way home from a northern road trip. Great coffee; a ridiculous variety, and GREAT people working there.

When you pull into their parking lot, you'll see parking spots reserved for active and retired military At the head of each spot, along the curb, is a sign with a photo and a QR code you can scan with your phone. It takes you to a site where you can read about the fallen hero pictured on the sign in your parking spot.

It's pretty cool...

I certainly have and I do like those exceptional beans! Great selection!

I was at the 99 Cent Store the other day, and picked up a 2 lb. 5 & 1/2 oz can of Yuban Traditional Roast

It's been a while since I tried Yuban. But for $4.99, the taste is as good as the price- Great! It tastes much better to me than Folgers, Maxwell House, and those bland lackluster Kroger Brands.

Yuban buyers do select both Aribica and Robusta beans of high quality and blends them together for a great flavor!

I have been meaning to come back and talk about First Cup.

We use a drip coffee maker for our every day coffee. We use a blend of Folgers Black Silk and Gevalia Espresso roast. It makes an excellent pot of dark roast coffee.

But the best cup is the first one. Whomever invented that little lever that lets you get a cup of coffee before the pot is finished was a genius!

I usually start the pot (despite having the timer set) because I get up so damned early. The first cup tastes like a good espresso. My g/f likes dark roast, but not as dark as the first cup.

Me? I will always go for the First Cup of rich darkness.

I drink between 6 and 15 cups of coffee a day depending on my activity. I drink Maxwell House or Community coffee brewed in a Mr. Coffee in the morning and throughout the day I mostly use a Keurig or a Keurig type machine. Again, in the Keurig it’s Maxwell House or Community.

I grew up with a diabetic mom so we drank unsweetened iced tea but through the years I have learned to like sweetened iced tea also. My preference for that is Lipton. On rare occasions, usually during cold weather, I drink a cup of hot tea with a dab of cream and sugar. Earl Grey is my preference for that.

Interesting thing about my coffee is that all my life I drank it black …. until 18 years ago when I quit smoking. I always had my morning coffee on the front porch with a cigarette. Even now, 18 years later, when I have a cup of black coffee I crave a cigarette. So now I always add a bit of non-dairy creamer to it.

Earl Grey is better with lemon and honey than cream and sugar. It enhances the lemony flavor of the bergamot oil that is already in the tea. Just don't buy that stuff they call "Earl Grey" that comes in bags at the grocery store... That dried up stuff barely functions as tea. We buy ours from a shop at a "nearby" town called "English Tea Leaves" (the shop not the town) and it comes in a freshness sealed package, it is delicious.

As for Coffee, I grind that fresh every morning. I use Boyer's "Rocky Mountain Thunder" blend. It is frickin' delicious. I also drink that black most times, but can also drink it with a bit of coconut creamer on occasion.

We used to grind and brew but now we are using a Keurig (not my favorite) for convenience. This Green Mountain vanilla caramel is pretty darn tasty though. The Sams Club Members Mark Columbian Cups are decent as well

Earl Grey is better with lemon and honey than cream and sugar. It enhances the lemony flavor of the bergamot oil that is already in the tea. Just don't buy that stuff they call "Earl Grey" that comes in bags at the grocery store... That dried up stuff barely functions as tea. We buy ours from a shop at a "nearby" town called "English Tea Leaves" (the shop not the town) and it comes in a freshness sealed package, it is delicious.

As for Coffee, I grind that fresh every morning. I use Boyer's "Rocky Mountain Thunder" blend. It is frickin' delicious. I also drink that black most times, but can also drink it with a bit of coconut creamer on occasion.

Have you tried https://www.englishteastore.com/?

If you're looking for a wide selection in the USA, I've been told that they provide excellent products and service.

I agree 100% on the Earl Grey. It's critical that you use fresh leaves and boiling water, steeped for no more than 5 minutes in a pre-warmed ceramic teapot for best results. That goes for any tea.

Have you tried Lapsang Souchong? https://www.whittard.co.uk/tea/tea-type/black-tea/lapsang-souchong-loose-tea-MSTR338095.html

I have a percolator and a Keurig. I usually drink decaf. Lately I've used Nutpods as creamer to reduce carbs. Only drink coffee when it's cool weather, once the hot temps return I will not drink it for months.
I love my percolator. I have a creme brûlée coffee that tastes amazing if percolated, fixed any other way, it has a funny taste to me.

Back