The destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah was due to inhospitality

Well since the only recorded record of it is in the Bible and it doesn’t state that means your claim cannot be validated
Isn’t that exactly what the Bible says about it?

Looks like God nuked them for being inhospitable assholes : https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis 19&version=NIV
23 By the time Lot reached Zoar, the sun had risen over the land. 24 Then the Lord rained down burning sulfur on Sodom and Gomorrah—from the Lord out of the heavens. 25 Thus he overthrew those cities and the entire plain, destroying all those living in the cities—and also the vegetation in the land. 26 But Lot’s wife looked back, and she became a pillar of salt.

It was a space alien nuke. Prove me wrong.

The whole thing about the wife turning into a pillar of salt was the flash glazing her skin. :thup:

Actually I do believe that. I'm wacky like that. I do not know if an asteroid could produce the same effect. I read that they have found presence of glass in sand.

Isn’t that exactly what the Bible says about it?

Looks like God nuked them for being inhospitable assholes : https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis 19&version=NIV
23 By the time Lot reached Zoar, the sun had risen over the land. 24 Then the Lord rained down burning sulfur on Sodom and Gomorrah—from the Lord out of the heavens. 25 Thus he overthrew those cities and the entire plain, destroying all those living in the cities—and also the vegetation in the land. 26 But Lot’s wife looked back, and she became a pillar of salt.

There are many Jewish traditions and texts that do point to that possibility. Also in one of them, God heard the wailing or crying of a woman that was gang raped so he sent angels to investigate.

Actually I do believe that. I'm wacky like that. I do not know if an asteroid could produce the same effect. I read that they have found presence of glass in sand.
Yes, high heat can melt sand into glass.

An iron meteor would have left a crater, but like the 1908 Russian Tunguska event, a small comet or larger Stoney meteor exploding from the heat of reentry might cause such an event.

https://www.britannica.com/event/Tunguska-event
Tunguska event, enormous explosion that is estimated to have occurred at 7:14 AM plus or minus one minute on June 30, 1908, at an altitude of 5–10 km (15,000–30,000 feet), flattening some 2,000 square km (500,000 acres) and charring more than 100 square km of pine forest near the Podkamennaya Tunguska River in central Siberia (60°55′ N 101°57′ E), Russia. The energy of the explosion is estimated to have been equivalent to the explosive force of as much as 15 megatons of TNT—a thousand times more powerful than the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima, Japan, on August 6, 1945. ( Learn what is known and not known about the Tunguska event. )

On the basis of historical records of significant noctilucent cloud development in the skies over Europe following the event, some scientists contend that a comet caused the explosion….

xkh376v7-1372241498.jpg

There are many Jewish traditions and texts that do point to that possibility. Also in one of them, God heard the wailing or crying of a woman that was gang raped so he sent angels to investigate.

I’ve also read that the story is a conflation of a Syrian town destroyed by a volcano with the destruction of a local town by flood would give the basis for the story.

Yes, high heat can melt sand into glass.

An iron meteor would have left a crater, but like the 1908 Russian Tunguska event, a small comet or larger Stoney meteor exploding from the heat of reentry might cause such an event.

https://www.britannica.com/event/Tunguska-event
Tunguska event, enormous explosion that is estimated to have occurred at 7:14 AM plus or minus one minute on June 30, 1908, at an altitude of 5–10 km (15,000–30,000 feet), flattening some 2,000 square km (500,000 acres) and charring more than 100 square km of pine forest near the Podkamennaya Tunguska River in central Siberia (60°55′ N 101°57′ E), Russia. The energy of the explosion is estimated to have been equivalent to the explosive force of as much as 15 megatons of TNT—a thousand times more powerful than the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima, Japan, on August 6, 1945. ( Learn what is known and not known about the Tunguska event. )

On the basis of historical records of significant noctilucent cloud development in the skies over Europe following the event, some scientists contend that a comet caused the explosion….

That would really do it. But we're talking about two cities. LOL. How close were they to each other?

The story AT LEAST indicates that God knew it was coming and wanted certain people to get the fuck out of there, the rest be damned.

That would really do it. But we're talking about two cities. LOL. How close were they to each other?

The story AT LEAST indicates that God knew it was coming and wanted certain people to get the fuck out of there, the rest be damned.
Ancient stories often get exaggerated before being written down.

The story, if using the one linked below, took place around 1600 BCE. Moses came 200-300 y

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smar...e-inspired-biblical-story-of-sodom-180978734/
Ancient City’s Destruction by Exploding Space Rock May Have Inspired Biblical Story of Sodom
Around 1650 B.C.E., the Bronze Age city of Tall el-Hammam was wiped out by a blast 1,000 times more powerful than the atomic bomb used at Hiroshima

The story, if using the one linked below, took place around 1600 BCE. Moses came 200-300 y

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smar...e-inspired-biblical-story-of-sodom-180978734/
Ancient City’s Destruction by Exploding Space Rock May Have Inspired Biblical Story of Sodom
Around 1650 B.C.E., the Bronze Age city of Tall el-Hammam was wiped out by a blast 1,000 times more powerful than the atomic bomb used at Hiroshima

Wouldn't that have been recorded everywhere? Imagine the shock waves it had everywhere miles away from the epicenter.

Maybe it was a matter of Skynet sending the terminator to the wrong time?

BTW, thanks for that article. That one was what I was talking about. Quartz, not glass.

Still no evidence that it was Sodom though. But yeah like it said:

“All the observations stated in Genesis are consistent with a cosmic airburst,” says Kennett in the statement, “but there’s no scientific proof that this destroyed city is indeed the Sodom of the Old Testament.”

BTW, thanks for that article. That one was what I was talking about. Quartz, not glass.

“All the observations stated in Genesis are consistent with a cosmic airburst,” says Kennett in the statement, “but there’s no scientific proof that this destroyed city is indeed the Sodom of the Old Testament.”
“All the observations stated in Genesis are consistent with a cosmic airburst,”

And divine sparks were released
The divine spark is the portion of God that resides within each human being. The purpose of life is to enable the Divine Spark to be released from its captivity in matter and reestablish its connection with, or simply return to, God, who is perceived as being the source of the Divine Light.

Klipot

"Klipot" are spiritual layers that temporarily block Divine light from reaching a person, just as a tangerine peel blocks one from reaching the sweet fruit inside. As such, the term klipot refers to external layers whereas the Hebrew word pri, fruit, refers to the internal essence and sweetness. When speaking about personal and spiritual growth, the klipot are our external dimensions that either surround us or that we surround ourselves with, sometimes consciously and sometimes unconsciously. On the other hand, pri refers to our inner dimension, the genuine essence and sweetness of a person.

https://breslev.com/488373/

Which you all could read the original Hebrew, the Torah has many layers and meanings

Last edited:
The divine spark is the portion of God that resides within each human being. The purpose of life is to enable the Divine Spark to be released from its captivity in matter and reestablish its connection with, or simply return to, God, who is perceived as being the source of the Divine Light.

Klipot

https://breslev.com/488373/

Oh yes. I looked that up. Yeah from Kabbalah. I am vaguely familiar with it. The graph closely resembles the chakras.

Wouldn't that have been recorded everywhere? Imagine the shock waves it had everywhere miles away from the epicenter.
I don’t think so. It would certainly produce a vibration and an atmospheric sound wave but it would take a PhD Geochem major, or related area of expertise, to do the math of a 15 megaton above-ground blast.

I have no doubt the Pentagon has those figures. :)

Maybe it was a matter of Skynet sending the terminator to the wrong time?
You wouldn’t be the first to theorize that life is so rare in the Universe, and the distances so great, that we’d be more likely encounter our future selves than space aliens. We could call them the Deep State. :D

If our future selves were traveling back in time to warn us, shouldn’t we pay attention?

Agreed with the line of logic but why were we separated from God in the first place? If we all existed as one with God and then split off for unknown reasons, then it makes sense we’d like to have a reunion….literally.* If we didn’t exist before being created and then grown to serve his almighty ego then it makes sense that we are here to grow.

IMO, it’s the former. It’s the “why” part that interests me most. Mostly I think of it like Bill Hicks’ “It’s just a ride” along with Grandma’s rollercoaster story in “Parenthood”. The question of who built the ride and why it was built still carries my interest.

*reunion: the act or process of being brought together again as a unified whole.

Agreed with the line of logic but why were we separated from God in the first place? If we all existed as one with God and then split off for unknown reasons, then it makes sense we’d like to have a reunion….literally.* If we didn’t exist before being created and then grown to serve his almighty ego then it makes sense that we are here to grow.

IMO, it’s the former. It’s the “why” part that interests me most. Mostly I think of it like Bill Hicks’ “It’s just a ride” along with Grandma’s rollercoaster story in “Parenthood”. The question of who built the ride and why it was built still carries my interest.

*reunion: the act or process of being brought together again as a unified whole.

Right now I am very tired but would like to continue this discussion later :)

You wouldn’t be the first to theorize that life is so rare in the Universe, and the distances so great, that we’d be more likely encounter our future selves than space aliens. We could call them the Deep State. :D

If our future selves were traveling back in time to warn us, shouldn’t we pay attention?

MTG is the evil bitch from the future.

There is no whole.

It would be extremely bad luck for a city to be under an exploding comet or meteor, especially in those days of low global population.*. OTOH, the villages were probably a lot smaller too. A few estimates had them as small as 600 resident.

* Published estimates for the 1st century ("AD 1") suggest uncertainty of the order of 50% (estimates range between 150 and 330 million<—- total global population.

Back