The difference between philosophy and religion.

It's simple! When Jesus left,The Holy Spirit came!
Without the Holy Spirit, Jesus would of drifted into history!

I think the message of spiritual equality and spiritual liberation was a radical idea with mass appeal, that is why Paul and the apostles, and the church fathers were so successful in spreading the messages of Christianity across the pagan Mediterranean. If you want to call that radical appeal the holy spirit, that's fine.

I see it as not dissimilar as the radical message of Buddhism spreading in the traditional Vedic world.

If a radical message converges with a perfect storm, that is probably where mass religious movements germinate.

I think the message of spiritual equality and spiritual liberation was a radical idea with mass appeal, that is why Paul and the apostles, and the church fathers were so successful in spreading the messages of Christianity across the pagan Mediterranean. If you want to call that radical appeal the holy spirit, that's fine.

I see it as not dissimilar as the radical message of Buddhism spreading in the traditional Vedic world.

If a radical message converges with a perfect storm, that is probably where mass religious movements germinate.

You don't understand the role of the Holy Spirit!
That's the missing link to your understanding of Christinity!

I started the thread as a criticism of religion. You are very stupid.
You don't have the knowledge or background to intelligently discuss it.

You have never read any of the premminent scholars of Christianity, Daoism, or Confucianism --- by your own confession your only knowledge of religion is from "Sunday school". You can't even point to having taken a college level religious studies class.

That's a joke, no intelligent person points to children's Sunday School as a legitimate education in comparative religious studies.

You don't have the knowledge or background to intelligently discuss it.

You have never read any of the premminent scholars of Christianity, Daoism, or Confucianism --- by your own confession your only knowledge of religion is from "Sunday school". You can't even point to having taken a college level religious studies class.

That's a joke, no intelligent person points to Sunday School as a legitimate education in comparative religious studies.

Have you actually read the Bible from cover to cover?

Have you actually read the Bible from cover to cover?

Nope, not every word.
The moral of the story here is that BidenPresident stalked and harangued me for months complaining that if I hadn't read the original Aristotle canon, any opinion I had about him was stupid and uninformed.

But then here is BidenPresident holding court on world religions, with nothing but his little adventures in a children's Sunday School as his only experience in religious studies education.

Nope, not every word.
The moral of the story here is that BidenPresident stalked and harangued me for months complaining that if I hadn't read the original Aristotle canon, any opinion I had about him was stupid and uninformed.

But then here is BidenPresident holding court on world religions, with nothing but his little adventures in a children's Sunday School as his only experience in religious studies education.

So that's a no! You depend on third hand information from self proclaimed experts

So that's a no! You depend on third hand information from self proclaimed experts
I have read the gospels, most of Paul, James, various sundry other Epistles, and chunks of the OT.

More importantly, the thread title was religion, not Protestant fundamentalism.

There are more religions in this world than Protestantism, and even in Christianity, Protestantism is a minority. Conservative Protestantism is literally the only Christian denomination that insists on the primacy of the bible as the sole source of religious authority. That is a minority opinion in world Christianity.

It is surprising you did not know that.

I have read the gospels, most of Paul, and chunks of the OT.

More importantly, the thread title was religion, not Protestant fundamentalism.

There are more religions in this world than Protestantism, and even in Christianity, Protestantism is a minority. Conservative Protestantism is literally the only Christian denomination that insists on the primacy of the bible as the sole source of religious authority

It is surprising you did not know that.

If you haven't read the Old Testament, you're in the dark!
Especially the prophecies fulfilled by Jesus!

If you haven't read the Old Testament, you're in the dark!
Especially the prophecies fulfilled by Jesus!
I know what the significance is of the OT from the perspective of christians.

Interesting that you didn't know about the theological differences between conservative Protestantism, and the rest of world Christianity.

I could teach you, but you would have to pay me for my time.

If you are genuinely interested in the theological and philosophical basis of world religions, you should take a good college level comparative religions class, and then work your way through this list like I am. I would also recommend the key works of Saint Augustine:
Confessions and City of God.

A List of Recommend Scriptural Readings

Hinduism
If you read only one text from Hinduism, it should be the Bhagavad Gita.

Judaism
For Judaism, you might try something from each of the three. sections of the Tanakh. From the Torah, you might sample Genesis, which includes some of the most famous stories in the Hebrew Bible. From the Prophets, read 2 Isaiah (chapters 40–55), which most scholars date to the 6th century B.C.E., during the Babylonian Exile. From the Writings, try the brief book of Ruth, a simple yet moving tale of ordinary people and extraordinary kindness.

Trumpism
If you spend four years worshiping and groveling at the feet of Donald Trumpf, consider reading Art of the Deal, or Commander in Cheat: How Golf Explains Trump.

Buddhism
One of the most beloved texts from the Theravada tradition of Buddhism is the Dhammapada, which sets forth the basic principles of Buddhist doctrine and morality. The canon of Mahayana Buddhism is vast, but one book considered by many to be the fullest. expression of the Buddha’s teachings is the Lotus Sutra. Read the first four chapters, which include the parables of the burning house and the prodigal son.

East Asian religions
For East Asian religion and philosophy, read the Analects of Confucius and the Daodejing. The Analects are brief, fairly straightforward sayings of Confucius. The Daodejing was originally an anonymous collection of wisdom sayings that was later attributed to Laozi and eventually elevated to the status of a divine text.

Christianity
Recommended readings for Christianity include one of the gospels, perhaps Luke; the book of Acts, which offers a history of the early Christian movement; and something from Paul, either Romans or 1 Corinthians. I also recommend the Epistle of James, which is arguably the world's first communist manifesto.

Islam
The Qur’an, with its 114 suras, is a bit long. Newcomers might want to start with some of the shorter, earlier, more lyrical revelations toward the end of the volume, then read a few of the longer suras that appear at the beginning
(2, “The Cow”; 4, “Women”; and 5, “The Table”).

Sikhism
The Adi Granth is the paramount scripture of Sikhism. Two recommended readings in this tradition are The Name of My Beloved: Verses of the Sikh Gurus, translated by Nikky-Guninder Kaur Singh, and Songs of the Saints from the Adi Granth, translated by Nirmal Dass.

Source credit: Grant Hardy, Ph.D., Professor of History and Religious Studies, University of North Carolina

Philosophy is trying to figure out what the fuck is going on!
Religion is a group of sinners fucking up God's Revelation to mankind.

Well..... God's revelation to a very small number of people in a very small portion of the middle east.... long after other religions had been established for over 1000 years.

Back