The difference between philosophy and religion.

here is no scientific experiment, no mass spectrometer, no physical sensory organs which can, or ever will explain justice, fairness, equality, musical composition, art, imagination, creativity, literature.

Also a good point, but all of those things are physically possible, right?.

In an infinite universe, over eternity, won't everything that is physically possible not only manifest itself at random, but do so an infinite number of times?
That's great works of art and philosophy. That's also malignant tumors and acts of cruel terrorism.

I can't prove anything--I can only observe, imagine and then perhaps opine, never knowing if I'm right or wrong--but my perception is that it's all random.
Also, if we're being honest, seeing it all as random is what's least disturbing to me.

Also a good point, but all of those things are physically possible, right?.

In an infinite universe, over eternity, won't everything that is physically not only manifest itself at random, but do so an infinite number of times?
That's great works of art and philosophy. That's also malignant tumors and acts of cruel terrorism.

I can't prove anything--I can only observe, imagine and then perhaps opine, never knowing if I'm right or wrong--but my perception is that it's all random.
Also, if we're being honest, seeing it all as random is what's least disturbing to me.

I would say that fairness, equality, justice are not physically tangible, they are only abstractions people (most of them) choose to believe in by virtue of being human.

Art is an abstraction, and obviously physically possible, but it seems to me there is a deeper truth in great art. That is why Michelangelo's Pieta or Donatello's David really are just so emotionally and aesthetically striking at a profound level to most people.

I used to have these kind of discussions with my Mama. I was from a scientific background, she philosophical. At one point I was convinced that physical observation, measurement, and sensory perception were all there was to reality. I still believe inductive logic is humanity's greatest intellectual achievement. But she ultimately convinced me that there is more to reality than what we can observe, measure, and physically sense.

We learn religion as children. And it keeps us a children.

This is why dogmatists just keep repeating the same beliefs over and over. Like children.

Children don't understand the world and rely on their parents to protect them. Like the mystery of God, the child does not understand the world of adults.

Last edited:
I went to Sunday School.

No wonder your knowledge of religion is virtually non-existent

No intelligent person points to Sunday school as an actual education in religious studies.

You have never read any legitimate or preeminent religious scholars from the Christian, Buddhist, Daoist, or Confucian tradition, so you have no knowledge or background to speak to the issue.

He was human. During his life he was probably a Jewish teacher and apocalyptic prophet.

Jewish apocalyptic prophets were a dime a dozen in first century Palestine, you couldn't throw a rock without hitting one. So the question in my mind is why he ultimately stood out from the background noise and why his life and death was so inspirational to so many people.

That is the question there is no definitive answer for.

Human Flesh the Spirit of YHWH

We learn religion as children. And it keeps us a children.

This is why dogmatists just keep repeating the same beliefs over and over. Like children.

Children don't understand the world and rely on their parents to protect them. Like the mystery of God, the child does not understand the world of adults.

Not everyone!

He was human. During his life he was probably a Jewish teacher and apocalyptic prophet.

Jewish apocalyptic prophets were a dime a dozen in first century Palestine, you couldn't throw a rock without hitting one. So the question in my mind is why he ultimately stood out from the background noise and why his life and death was so inspirational to so many people.

That is the question there is no definitive answer for.

It's simple! When Jesus left,The Holy Spirit came!
Without the Holy Spirit, Jesus would of drifted into history!

Back