The difference between philosophy and religion.

Never said that. Stop lying.

Every time a philosopher is mentioned, you claim you have read their collected works and harangue me for not having read their publications.

The reason French philosopher Denis Diederot invented the encyclopedia is because he knew humans couldn't possibly study all of human history and intellectual achievement on their own, and need subject matter experts to explain it to them.

Modern day philosophers perhaps- But the ancient Greek and Roman philosophers were into the Gods thing!

Some where, some weren't.
"Religion. Epicureanism does not deny the existence of the gods; rather it denies their involvement in the world. According to Epicureanism, the gods do not interfere with human lives or the rest of the universe in any way – thus, it shuns the idea that frightening weather events are divine retribution."
Epicureanism - Wikipediahttps://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Epicureanism

Some times the Locals get pissed off if you aren't a 'Believer' ... and want to kill you. :(

Never said that. Stop lying.

On my threads I have literally seen you claim to have read Aristotle, Plato, Kant, Hume, Marx, Nietzsche, Descartes, Wittgenstein, Sarte, etc.

I mean, if you have gone deep in the weeds to read Wittgenstein and Sarte, who haven't you supposedly read?

If this is your belated confession that there are lots of premminent philosophers you have not read, then you shouldn't have berated and harangued me for not having read the corpus of Aristotle.

On my threads I have literally seen you claim to have read Aristotle, Plato, Kant, Hume, Marx, Nietzsche, Descartes, Wittgenstein, Sarte, etc.

I mean, if you have gone deep in the weeds to read Wittgenstein and Sarte, who haven't you supposedly read?

If this is your belated confession that there are lots of premminent philosophers you have not read, then you shouldn't have berated and harangued me for not having read the corpus of Aristotle.

I am always specific about what I have read. You wrongly infer that I have read everything by an author that I mention.

Some where, some weren't.
"Religion. Epicureanism does not deny the existence of the gods; rather it denies their involvement in the world. According to Epicureanism, the gods do not interfere with human lives or the rest of the universe in any way – thus, it shuns the idea that frightening weather events are divine retribution."
Epicureanism - Wikipediahttps://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Epicureanism

Some times the Locals get pissed off if you aren't a 'Believer' ... and want to kill you. :(

For example, Aristotle talked about God and even loving God. St. Thomas Aquinas built his theology around Aristotle. But Aristotle's idea of God has very little in common with the Christian idea of God. There is nothing to worship, for Aristotle; there is no personality.

"The 5th-century BCE Greek philosopher Diagoras is known as the "first atheist", and strongly criticized religion and mysticism. Epicurus was an early philosopher to dispute many religious beliefs, including the existence of an afterlife or a personal deity."
https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Diagoras_of_Melos

Socrates was accused by Athens of being an atheist.

"Human reason has the peculiar fate in one species of its cognitions that it is burdened with questions which it cannot dismiss, since they are given to it as problems by the nature of reason itself, but which it also cannot answer, since they transcend every capacity of human reason."

First sentence, preface to Critique of Pure Reason, by Kant.

If you just read and tried to understand that one sentence, you would be doing philosophy.

"Human reason has the peculiar fate in one species of its cognitions that it is burdened with questions which it cannot dismiss, since they are given to it as problems by the nature of reason itself, but which it also cannot answer, since they transcend every capacity of human reason."

First sentence, preface to Critique of Pure Reason, by Kant.

If you just read and tried to understand that one sentence, you would be doing philosophy.

Are there questions reason cannot dismiss?

I am always specific about what I have read. You wrongly infer that I have read everything by an author that I mention.

You have routinely complained that if I haven't read the original published work of an intellectual, I have no credibility to speak to it.

You routinely name drop intellectuals, insinuating that you have read their works. I am at least honest that I don't have time to read the entire western philosophical corpus. All this name-dropping from you is just from one of my threads -->

Bertrand Russell's History of Western Philosophy is very good. Even where I disagree with him, he gives a very good account of other philosophers.

False. Descartes never talked about religion. Kant did not talk about religion. Hume made fun of the religious. Hegel wrote about religion, true. Kierkegaard was essentially a philosopher of Christianity. Aquinas was a theologian.

Nietzsche was a self avowed atheist and enemy of religion.

Leibniz did talk about God and wrote, "Theodicy." But I suspect no Christian will accept the monad, which Leibniz considered his central idea.

^^ That's your name dropping from just one or two of my threads.

Are you expecting me to believe you have really read the collected works of Aristotle, Plato, Bertrand Russell, Friedrich Nietzsche, Thomas Aquinas, David Hume, Renee Decartes, Karl Marx, Immanuel Kant, Georg Hegel, Ludwig Wittgenstein?

Or is the truth you are actually exactly like me: you aquire knowledge about the western intellectual tradition in large measure by reading articles, summaries, reviews, synopsis written and produced by subject matter experts? At least I am honest about it.

Last edited:
The difference between philosophy and religion.

well, religion is carrying out the methodical acts of one's theological beliefs while philosophy is the study of wisdom......a proper question might have been, what is the difference between theology and philosophy......or sociology.......or economics......

obviously some religions can be dogmatic while others are not.....for example Zen Buddhism is a religion.......obviously it is not dogmatic.......on the other hand Greek Orthodoxy, another religion, is very dogmatic.....

philosophy doesn't require allegiance to any set of beliefs because it is the study of all philosophical beliefs, as is theology to theological beliefs......

consider this.....I would describe my own religion primarily as a postmodern, emergent Christianity...(yes that's a thing, you can even google it)....in its practice, or its religious methodology it probably has more in common with Zen Buddhism than it does Greek Orthodoxy........however, in its theology it has nothing in common with Buddhism and everything in common with the Greek Orthodox......

Back