The difference between philosophy and religion.

I only claim to have read what I have read. You're off the rails, little of what you say makes sense.

So the bottom line is that it's extremely painful for you to just openly admit you have not actually read the entire corpus of western intellectual history, even though you feel free to opine on any philosopher who's name happens to come up.
Then you shouldn't stalk and harangue me for not having read the original Aristotle canon.

(what were you expecting?)

:smh:
Your western 20th century bias is showing.

Many cultures do not make a distinction between religion and philosophy as is done in the 20th century West.

Asians do not draw artificial boundaries like you do. Hinduism, Confucianism Daoism, Buddhism are all philosophies and religions.

And anyone who is aware of Plato, Augustine. Kierkegaard, etc know there are profound connections between Christianity and philosophy.

Many cultures do not make a distinction between religion and philosophy as is done in the 20th century West.

Asians do not draw artificial boundaries like you do. Hinduism, Confucianism Daoism, Buddhism are all philosophies and religions.

And anyone who is aware of Plato, Augustine. Kierkegaard, etc know there are profound connections between Christianity and philosophy.

Augustine was a Christian theologian. So...yeah, he talked about religion and God.

Cypress. Don't talk to me anymore. You've lost all your integrity with me.

"Integrity is the practice of being honest and showing a consistent and uncompromising adherence to strong moral and ethical principles and values. In ethics, integrity is regarded as the honesty and truthfulness or accuracy of one's actions. Wikipedia"

You talking about Ethics is like Trump talking about the Bible. (I've never put anyone on Ignore, but you may be the first)

A lot of internet forums group religion and philosophy into one forum. This may be because people use a common design.

The problem is, people who are religious think everyone using the forum is also religious. People who are religious tend to treat philosophy as just an aid to understanding religion.

Cypress. Don't talk to me anymore. You've lost all your integrity with me.

"Integrity is the practice of being honest and showing a consistent and uncompromising adherence to strong moral and ethical principles and values. In ethics, integrity is regarded as the honesty and truthfulness or accuracy of one's actions. Wikipedia"

You talking about Ethics is like Trump talking about the Bible. (I've never put anyone on Ignore, but you may be the first)
You were giggling because you thought talking about religion and philosophy in the same breath was the stupidest thing you've ever heard of.

But the fact of the matter is, you cannot divorce Buddhism, Daoism, Confucianism from philosophy. And arguably the greatest European philosopher on the 19th century, Hegel, cannot be divorced from religion and spirituality.

So really the question is, who is actually the stupid one?

You were giggling because you thought talking about religion and philosophy in the same breath was the stupidest thing you've ever heard of.

But the fact of the matter is, you cannot divorce Buddhism, Daoism, Confucianism from philosophy. And arguably the greatest European philosopher on the 19th century, Hegel, cannot be divorced from religion and spirituality.

So really the question is, who is actually the stupid one?

It is not clear Hegel was religious--at least in the conventional sense-- and many read him as an atheist.

For example, in the Phenomenology of Spirit he says there is nothing in revelation that cannot be had from using reason.

Last edited:
I'd like to think his enthusiasm for religion causes him to make some mistakes in judgment.
But his consistent lying about things I have said makes me wonder.

You can have an honest Discussion with another person if they are an honest person.
That's NOT the case here.

A perfect example is Trump holding up the Bible, as though that speaks to him as being a Religious Person.
Trump could rattle off the names of a dozen Saints, but that doesn't mean the dozen Saints agree with anything Trump says.
Trump uses the Bible as a 'Prop', ... along with naming a dozen Saints.
So, Trump might be an entertaining and interesting person to talk to, but discussing the Bible with Trump may be a waste of time.

You can have an honest Discussion with another person if they are an honest person.
That's NOT the case here.

A perfect example is Trump holding up the Bible, as though that speaks to him as being a Religious Person.
Trump could rattle off the names of a dozen Saints, but that doesn't mean the dozen Saints agree with anything Trump says.
Trump uses the Bible as a 'Prop', ... along with naming a dozen Saints.
So, Trump might be an entertaining and interesting person to talk to, but discussing the Bible with Trump may be a waste of time.

Interesting analogy. You may be correct.

Cypress may be an entertaining and interesting person, but his ethical integrity concerning Religion & Philosophy is ruined by the 'lying'.

My conclusion as well. And confirms my experience that many religious people are just assholes with high and mighty aspirations.

My conclusion as well. And confirms my experience that many religious people are just assholes with high and mighty aspirations.

:) It's fun to discuss religion/philosophy, but you need honest people that are honestly speaking their own opinions and maybe quoting sources that they believe are important proponents of their positions.

:) It's fun to discuss religion/philosophy, but you need honest people that are honestly speaking their own opinions and maybe quoting sources that they believe are important proponents of their positions.

I think Cypress truly does not understand the difference between saying "here is what Kant said" and "here is what another author said about Kant."

I think Cypress truly does not understand the difference between saying "here is what Kant said" and "here is what another author said about Kant."

Well, from here on out, you know what you are dealing with. Just have fun with it, express yourself. Maybe the exchange will bring forth others that have an actual interest in debating the different philosophies?

Well, from here on out, you know what you are dealing with. Just have fun with it, express yourself. Maybe the exchange will bring forth others that have an actual interest in debating the different philosophies?

Cypress told me he doubts Jesus was the Messiah the son of God.
That tells me all I need to know.

Back