The End Of Christian America

So you support the secularists removing the images of America's historical past?

So now tell me why the secularists who destroyed American culture deny that it ever existed?

A culture is a culture so tell me why all who come to America shouldn't be required to assimilate into it?

No I dont support that. I think it's part of history and culture.

My point was that no one else is harming Christianity....that 'things' dont contain your faith and that the actual Christians are responsible for behaving like Christians. You shouldnt need public *govt* displays to support your beliefs.

why would you keep the trappings of ONE myth hanging around when the vast majority believe something else?

If you are referring to Christianity, the vast majority do indeed believe in that. Not all necessarily practice it actively, but it is by far the predominant belief in the US.

When President Kennedy was assassinated and his casket rolled down Pennsylvania Avenue, the military band played Onward Christian Soldiers and a variety of other Christian hymns. While his casket was being carried to his final resting place, the band played Nearer My God To Thee. During world war two, President Roosevelt offered prayers to the nation for guidance right before every major offensive by allied forces. The nation's public schools featured daily prayers from the pages of the Holy Bible and contained Bibles in their classrooms as classes were being conducted prior to 1962.

The very idea that America was not and never a Christian nation is Ludacris and laughable. And because the above incidents would never occur today without them being secular in nature instead does not change the historical accounts of the country when it comes to it's own moral foundation being Judeo Christian and lying on the cornerstones of the Hebrew Bible as well as all of western civilization was.

I think that would be entirely appropriate for any (practicing) CHristian president today. It's HIS funeral, and HIS religion. No one says the president or any citizen must be *unreligious*. Or 'religion-free.' And it would apply to any other religion...or lack of....that a govt official practiced.

We do not have a right to be offended by viewing other people's religious practices either (I'm speaking of mainstream here, not eye for an eye crap or stoning).

* The U.S. illegitimacy rate has rocketed from 5 percent of all births to 41 percent.

* Among African Americans the share of births out of wedlock is 71 percent, up from 23 percent in 1960.

* The percentage of households that were married - couple families with children under eighteen plummeted by 2006 to just 21.6 percent.

* Since Roe vs. Wade fifty million abortions have been performed.

* Between 1960 and 1990, the teenage suicide rate tripled. Though the numbers then fell, as of 2006 suicide was the third leading cause of death of young adults and adolescents aged 15 to 24, just behind homicides.

* Cheating in sports, scholastics, business, and marriage is pandemic.

* Between 1960 and 1992, violent crime - murder, rape, assault, soured 550 percent. the subsequent decline is due to the baby boomers passing out of the high crime ages (sixteen to thirty six.) the birth dearth, and a 700 percent increase in the prison population, which today stands at 2.3 million, with 5 million more on probation and parole.

* Individualistic hedonism, the Playboy philosophy, and MTV morality have and are destroying a nation founded on religion and the lessons it taught being it's morality.

* A nation founded on religion and it's morality which throws both away is a nation that is in the process of self destruction.

Your argument is compelling. The failure throughout is palpable! American Exceptionalism is over !

It is a myth that daily prayers and Biblical instruction were offered in all schools, though more prevalent in the South, it was not a practice in all schools in the USA.

You're lying. Prayers and Bibles were prevalent in most public schools including in the northeast because I attended such a school .. in the northeast.

I think that would be entirely appropriate for any (practicing) CHristian president today. It's HIS funeral, and HIS religion. No one says the president or any citizen must be *unreligious*. Or 'religion-free.' And it would apply to any other religion...or lack of....that a govt official practiced.

We do not have a right to be offended by viewing other people's religious practices either (I'm speaking of mainstream here, not eye for an eye crap or stoning).

Why did the states put Bibles in their public schools?

You're lying. Prayers and Bibles were prevalent in most public schools including in the northeast because I attended such a school .. in the northeast.

I crack up over people like you whom believe because it was what was happening with them that it was happening for all others

To begin with, research suggests that mandatory prayer and Bible reading were not historically required n the public schools. Robert Boston, for example, summarizes the research of Boardman W. Katham, a United Church of Christ Minister who has researched public education extensively, as follows:

As public schools evolved in the post-Revolutionary War period, there was a general attitude of indifference toward religion among the American public. While the Bible was often used in schools as a reader and speller, formal daily prayers and devotional readings were held sporadically, often only when a local clergyman visited a school (Why the Religious Right is Wrong About Separation of Church and State, p. 102).
Rather, the move to require prayer and Bible reading in the public schools didn't gain steam until the Civil War era, and even then didn't generally manifest itself in law until early 1900s:

(P)rior to 1900, only Massachusetts has a law on the books dealing with prayer and Bible reading in public schools. Between 1910 and 1930, seventeen states and the District of Columbia passed similar laws. The movement to get these ordinances on the books was spearheaded by a powerful lobby of conservative church groups, led by the National Reform Association.
Critically, these practices were soon challenged in Court as violating the freedom of religion provisions of various state Constitutions. In 1910, for example, an Illinois Supreme Court struck down religious exercises in its public schools. Wisconsin ruled such exercises unconstitutional in 1890 and Nebraska did the same in 1903 (Boston, pp. 100-101). In total, the issue of religious practices in public schools came up in 22 state courts before 1962, with those practices being struck down in eight cases and upheld in 14.

Nor was Bible reading all that widespread. According to Boston (p. 101), Americans United for Separation of Church and State took a survey of Bible reading in the public schools in 1960, only three years before the Supreme Court's Bible reading decision (Abington Township School District v. Schempp). According to the survey, only five states required Bible reading in the public schools, while twenty five states allowed such practices. Eleven states had declared the practice unconstitutional, and the remainder had no relevant laws on the books.

The fact is that school prayer and Bible reading was only infrequently required by law, and had been declared illegal by a number of states before 1962. The school prayer and Bible reading decisions of the Supreme Court were neither unprecedented, nor out of step with a growing body of laws and court cases that saw these practices as an infringement of our religious liberty.

http://candst.tripod.com/tnppage/pray2c.htm

Your ability to connect dots is lacking.

Mostly, they are trying to fight people forcing beliefs they dont hold down their throats. I'm a Christian and *I* fight against any govt leaning towards legislation based on any religious belief. I dont hate God.

You dont have to hate to fight for something you believe (or dont believe) in. Hate is a toxic emotion. I know lots of atheists....not wasting their time on hating anyone.

And you cant just let 'believers' do what they want when they want to try and teach things like creationism in science classes (for ex.). That is unConstitutional AND unscientific.

It's hard not to look like a fool when you pick and choose the science you want to accept. Sorry, you all have to own that, that ignorance is YOUR choice. You can 'believe' what you like, no problem. You cannot, legally, force your myths on other peoples' kids.

You failed to answer any of my questions and you're lecturing me instead. You're a new age progressive Christian and a liberal feminist who's very comfortable with leftists and especially liberal feminists.

I crack up over people like you whom believe because it was what was happening with them that it was happening for all others

To begin with, research suggests that mandatory prayer and Bible reading were not historically required n the public schools. Robert Boston, for example, summarizes the research of Boardman W. Katham, a United Church of Christ Minister who has researched public education extensively, as follows:

As public schools evolved in the post-Revolutionary War period, there was a general attitude of indifference toward religion among the American public. While the Bible was often used in schools as a reader and speller, formal daily prayers and devotional readings were held sporadically, often only when a local clergyman visited a school (Why the Religious Right is Wrong About Separation of Church and State, p. 102).
Rather, the move to require prayer and Bible reading in the public schools didn't gain steam until the Civil War era, and even then didn't generally manifest itself in law until early 1900s:

(P)rior to 1900, only Massachusetts has a law on the books dealing with prayer and Bible reading in public schools. Between 1910 and 1930, seventeen states and the District of Columbia passed similar laws. The movement to get these ordinances on the books was spearheaded by a powerful lobby of conservative church groups, led by the National Reform Association.
Critically, these practices were soon challenged in Court as violating the freedom of religion provisions of various state Constitutions. In 1910, for example, an Illinois Supreme Court struck down religious exercises in its public schools. Wisconsin ruled such exercises unconstitutional in 1890 and Nebraska did the same in 1903 (Boston, pp. 100-101). In total, the issue of religious practices in public schools came up in 22 state courts before 1962, with those practices being struck down in eight cases and upheld in 14.

Nor was Bible reading all that widespread. According to Boston (p. 101), Americans United for Separation of Church and State took a survey of Bible reading in the public schools in 1960, only three years before the Supreme Court's Bible reading decision (Abington Township School District v. Schempp). According to the survey, only five states required Bible reading in the public schools, while twenty five states allowed such practices. Eleven states had declared the practice unconstitutional, and the remainder had no relevant laws on the books.

The fact is that school prayer and Bible reading was only infrequently required by law, and had been declared illegal by a number of states before 1962. The school prayer and Bible reading decisions of the Supreme Court were neither unprecedented, nor out of step with a growing body of laws and court cases that saw these practices as an infringement of our religious liberty.

http://candst.tripod.com/tnppage/pray2c.htm

All this is irrelevant.

I just asked her why the states put Bibles in their public schools and now you tell me why they did because little mizz progressive Christian with her liberal feminist social calendar has great difficulty answering questions and enjoys lecturing me instead.

Well?

Why did the states put Bibles in their public schools?

So was slavery predominant. Didnt make it right. Just because something was once practiced (in the case of prayer, etc)...it was because it was consistent with a *very large* and vocal majority....not because it was Constitutional. Or even right.

You failed to answer any of my questions and you're lecturing me instead. You're a new age progressive Christian and a liberal feminist who's very comfortable with leftists and especially liberal feminists.

It's an answer, again, for some reason you cannot put 2 + 2 together to get 4.

And you are back to labelling....and incorrect there as well! LOLOLOLOLOL On all counts, altho I'm somewhat liberal.

So was slavery predominant. Didnt make it right. Just because something was once practiced (in the case of prayer, etc)...it was because it was consistent with a *very large* and vocal majority....not because it was Constitutional. Or even right.

Answer the G damned question, little mizz goody two shoes new age Christian and stop lecturing me.

WHY DID THE STATES PUT BIBLES IN THEIR PUBLIC SCHOOLS?

All this is irrelevant.

I just asked her why the states put Bibles in their public schools and now you tell me why they did because little mizz progressive Christian with her liberal feminist social calendar has great difficulty answering questions and enjoys lecturing me instead.

Not a lecture...the answer was an 'explanation.' Which you either rejected or couldnt connect in your mind to your question. Or both! You got an answer, it's not my fault you cant understand it. It's 5th grade writing level at the most...I try to make concessions for my audience :-)

Answer the G damned question, little mizz goody two shoes new age Christian and stop lecturing me.

WHY DID THE STATES PUT BIBLES IN THEIR PUBLIC SCHOOLS?

LOLOL That was a direct answer!

Not a lecture...the answer was an 'explanation.' Which you either rejected or couldnt connect in your mind to your question. Or both! You got an answer, it's not my fault you cant understand it. It's 5th grade writing level at the most...I try to make concessions for my audience :-)

Back